Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: French woman threatens legal action over 'burkini' ban

Default French woman threatens legal action over 'burkini' ban

Burkini: A Muslim swimmer wears a garment like the one that was banned

A 35-year-old French convert to Islam has threatened legal action after she was evicted from a public pool for wearing a "burkini" – a veil, trouser and tunic covering that she said allowed her to swim while preserving her modesty.
    The case revolving around the pool east of Paris has reopened France's bitter row about how Muslim women can dress.
    Carole, who would not give her surname, bought the suit while on holiday in Dubai and wore it swimming with her children once at a local pool in Emerainville. The second time she wore it, she was banned. "What annoys me is that I have been made to believe this is a political problem," she told Le Parisien. Carole, who converted to Islam at the age of 17, said she would seek advice from anti-discrimination groups.
    The local authorities in Emerainville said the case had nothing to do with Islam, but regulations stated that garments bigger than standard swimsuits, including men's board-shorts, could not be worn in pools for hygiene reasons.
    In recent years, local politicians in some areas have protested at proposed women-only swimming hours as an affront to the French republic, where everyone is equal. When a town in Rhône-Alpes ran a trial women-only swimming session at a public pool last year, a local councillor from Nicolas Sarkozy's ruling centre-right UMP party denounced it as the takeover of a secular, republican public space for religious reasons.
    A parliamentary committee is currently considering whether to introduce a law to ban women in France from wearing full Islamic veils in public places after a petition from 50 MPs calling for restrictions on veils with face coverings. The communist MP André Gerin, who heads the parliamentary committee, said the woman's burkini swimsuit was "ridiculous" and "clearly a militant provocation". He said a political agenda was behind such clothing and his committee would look at "fundamentalist pressures" encroaching on sporting dress codes in France.
    Critics have warned that focussing on niqabs, or full veils, is a marginal issue in France. A recent security services survey estimated that around 300 women wore them.
    In 2004, France banned standard headscarves and all conspicuous religious symbols from state schools.

French Muslim convert threatens legal action over 'burkini' ban | World news | guardian.co.uk

Um, really sexy!

If that's suppose to be a bathing suit, she should just swim in her street clothes. Same difference.

Built in swim cap!

**Tries to think of nice things to say about it....**

I'd rather not swim than swim in that get-up.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Sama Wareh walks along the sand dressed in swimwear designed for Muslim women. A French Muslim was denied entry to a swimming pool for wearing an Islamic-style full-body swimsuit. Officials say the head-to-toe "burquini" is unhygienic and harmful to other bathers, but the woman complains of religious discrimination.

Just curious, how is it anymore 'unhygienic' than other people swimming in pools with their smelly pube and ass hairs all over the place and kids taking a nice piss and dump in the corner, and some 400 pound guy who has b.o. from not showering?

Hey, maybe I can wear that instead of all that 70+SPF sunscreen!

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRules View Post
    Exactly! I can burn within an hour even with 50 SPF sunscreen. I'm fucking converting. PRAISE ALLAH!!!!

I wear a 'rash guard' type shirt to keep the rays out, and also hide my offensive man titties and gut.

To tell you the truth, more people need to cover up especially these disgusting celebs and their need to show off their dimply golf ball looking asses and beer guts.

I'm all for this outfit,

ALLAHU AKHBAR!!!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

It's kind of silly looking but really, they're just asking for a lawsuit.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I don't see the big deal. If she wants to swim in all that, so what. I don't get who it's hurting. And as for banning it for hygiene reasons...what about little kids peeing in the pool, hairy guys who don't cover up enough, and other things that make me feel icky about public pools?

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post

Sama Wareh walks along the sand dressed in swimwear designed for Muslim women. A French Muslim was denied entry to a swimming pool for wearing an Islamic-style full-body swimsuit. Officials say the head-to-toe "burquini" is unhygienic and harmful to other bathers, but the woman complains of religious discrimination.

Just curious, how is it anymore 'unhygienic' than other people swimming in pools with their smelly pube and ass hairs all over the place and kids taking a nice piss and dump in the corner, and some 400 pound guy who has b.o. from not showering?
    It's unhygienic because it could have been worn outside, women swimming suits with mini skirts or the kind of surfer swimming trunks that men wear in the US are also banned in France, there are other unhygienic things going on in swimming pools but it's not a reason not to control what can be controlled.

As she is French she knows what the rules are, she just wants to be in the news. The funny thing in this story is that real muslims don't want to wear burkinis in mixed swimming pools as it is forbidden for women to hang around men in speedos, and they can wear what they want in women only sessions

You just as well go swimming in your street clothes. I have to laugh at the surfer bjerker because you know that shit would come off the very first wipe out.

The other article I read on this gave a much more complete explanation for not allowing this. It seems perfectly reasonable to me to ban "swimwear" that is drapey, full of folds, and could have been worn on the street. I don't see how it's safe to swim in all that baggy garb anyway. Some Muslims really need to get a thicker skin and get over themselves.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRules View Post
    Ha! I was thinking the exact same thing when I looked at the pic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information