Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your fugly annoying Flip-Flops can KILL you!

Default Your fugly annoying Flip-Flops can KILL you!

Flip-flops are a magnet for dangerous, deadly bacteria

By Leah Chernikoff AND Jacob E. Osterhout
    DAILY NEWS WRITERS
    Tuesday, August 11th 2009, 4:00 AM
    Xanthos/News Life on the street: Our reporters' germy flip-flops.

Fusco for News Dennis Kinney (l.) and Farbod Nekouei at the EMSL Analytical lab.

The flip-flop is the preferred summer shoe for many New Yorkers. But on city streets, the flimsy footwear can be deadly.

That film of grime that coats your feet at the end of a day of flopping around town is some dangerous dirt.

Lab tests of two reporters' flip-flops, worn for four days, revealed a potentially deadly germ - Staphylococcus aureus - lurking on the rubber.

If it seeps into a cut on your foot - an entirely common summer affliction - the bacteria can enter the bloodstream and, if left untreated, kill you.

"It can make you pretty sick if it got into a wound and into your blood, where it could attack any of your internal organs," says Dennis Kinney, Ph.D., the manager of the microbiology lab at EMSL Analytical. "If you didn't treat it with antibiotics, you could die from it."

Kinney's team at EMSL tested two pairs of flip-flops we wore throughout the city for four days each.

The sandals took a trip on the F, A, C, G, 2 and 3 trains, went on walks through Prospect Park, out to bars in the West Village, to a Cyclones baseball game in Coney Island and rode the Cyclone. Twice. They even waded through a murky public restroom at the Coney Island subway station.

The results? Pretty heinous.

The $3.50 flip-flops harbored approximately 18,100 bacteria of the five most prevalent varieties found. (Unsurprisingly, the pair that made the trip to Coney Island and stopped off in the public restroom had roughly 13,900 more bacteria.)

And that's what accumulated in just four days.

"If you wear shoes for three months, 93% have fecal bacteria and 20% have E. coli," says Dr. Charles P. Gerba, professor of microbiology at the University of Arizona.

While some of the bacteria found were common, non-disease-causing staphylococci, more dangerous offenders lurked underfoot.
    Aerococcus viridans and Rothia mucilaginosa, bacteria that normally reside in the mouth, were present.

"It's not a good sign," says Kinney. "It means that people are spitting. If someone were sick and spitting on the ground, you could pick something up."

Not to mention the worst offender, Staph aureus. Worst-case scenario: It enters your bloodstream, goes untreated and you die. But even mere contact with the skin can yield nasty results.

"Staph aureus can be pretty dangerous," says Kinney. "This strain isn't methicillin-resistant (MRSA), but it is Staph aureus, and it can still cause infections - typically boils and skin infections."

Still not convinced, flip-flop lovers? Here's a compelling argument for putting on a pair of shoes:

"There's more bacteria in the city," says Dr. Philip M. Tierno Jr., the director of clinical microbiology and immunology at New York University's Langone Medical Center. "There's garbage and rat-doo. This city is strewn with rats, and rats are harbingers of all sorts of germs. The same is true with cockroaches. It is all potentially harmful."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2009/08/11/2009-08-11_flipflops_are_a_magnet_for_dangerous_deadly_bac .html#ixzz0NyxGeoI6
    HA! Now throw those ugly ass flappity-flap things away.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Umm, yeah, and how often DO people die because of this? More germ paranoia.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Yeah, unh huh. Walking around with other peoples' shit and spit on your feet is a-ok. No worries.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

No way, no how. I'm not parting with my AWESOME and comfortable flip-flops. I wouldn't wear them to walk around in a big nasty city like NYC, I think that's just retarded. But here in the car culture of L.A. or anywhere else in the suburbs of America, yeah. Flip-flops won't kill you, you're crazy.

However, we should reference this article to whoever it was that was defending going barefoot in public. Who was that, I forget?

So what's the difference if you're wearing heels and you track the very same "deadly" germs and bacteria all over your floors and walk around your house barefoot? Probably written by some hyper-paranoid germ freak who carries a can of Lysol around with them everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    No way, no how. I'm not parting with my AWESOME and comfortable flip-flops. I wouldn't wear them to walk around in a big nasty city like NYC, I think that's just retarded. But here in the car culture of L.A. or anywhere else in the suburbs of America, yeah. Flip-flops won't kill you, you're crazy.

However, we should reference this article to whoever it was that was defending going barefoot in public. Who was that, I forget?
    Oh yes.. going barefoot is healthier than shoes!

ETA: I am going to buy a can of lysol to keep bu the front door!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I am a bit of a germa phobe about shoes. It makes me crazy when I see people touch the bottom of their shoes or even put them up on their desk. I do wipe my shoes off with clorox wipes every night. My daughter loves her flip flops and has about 10 pairs (color choices are a must!) I make her toss them in the tub at least once a week with some clorox. It makes me crazy to think of what we walk in all day and then bring into our homes and offices.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

if it's over 50 degrees, i'm wearing my flip flops.
    I'm not loafing, I just work so fast I'm always finished.

I love my Target flip-flops. I can get an entire summer shoe wardrobe for 100$
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    So what's the difference if you're wearing heels and you track the very same "deadly" germs and bacteria all over your floors and walk around your house barefoot? Probably written by some hyper-paranoid germ freak who carries a can of Lysol around with them everywhere
    Exactly - but then I read Sluce's post about cloroxing her shoes....

Now, who puts their handbag/purse on the floor & then on their lap then on the table.... Hum?????

Double whammy if they are made in China too...

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Exactly - but then I read Sluce's post about cloroxing her shoes....

Now, who puts their handbag/purse on the floor & then on their lap then on the table.... Hum?????
    I never put my purse on the floor, not even in my own house.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I don't worry about these things. There's enough going on in my life. Germs are a part of life. I wash my hands often and do double duty when I feel like I'm exposed to extra grime. That's enough for me.

This also doesn't concern me because I absolutely cannot wear flip flops. They are the most uncomfortable shoe ever made.

I think Im the only Floridian who doesnt own 1 pair of flip flops. Hate them, have never ever worn them. Not because of germs tho.Sandals yes.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

I was defending bare feet. Interesting article. I'll add it to my list of things to worry about someday.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information