BOY, it stinks to be Bernie Madoff's sons.
Andrew and Mark Madoff -- who claim to know nothing of their dad's Ponzi scheme despite having made millions working in the family business -- are portrayed in a new Vanity Fair piece as feeling deeply betrayed by Bernie, whom "they were always trying to please, but never could."
David Margolick, who spoke to people close to the brothers Madoff, writes:
* Andrew recently "lamented" to an African-American friend, "I'm unemployed, I don't have any money, and I'm just trying to stay out of jail -- my name is mud," to which the friend replied, "Well, now you're just like every black man in America."
* Andrew's fiancée, Catherine Hooper, gave him a card on his birthday in April that said, "Hope you have a fun day doing all the things people in prison wish they could do." Andrew told her, "I wish I had my parents back," and she retorted, "Yeah, they were a really nice idea."
* When Andrew's estranged wife, Deborah, orders groceries from FreshDirect, she uses her maiden name. For the same reason, Andrew and Hooper use her last name when they make restaurant reservations.
* Parents of classmates of Andrew's daughters, who attend Dalton, are worried about letting their kids attend parties at his house because they are "evidently fearful of assassins crouching in vestibules."
* Although the Wilpon family, which owns the Mets, lost hundreds of millions on Bernie Madoff's schemes, Jeff Wilpon has maintained his long-standing ties to Mark Madoff. But a Wilpon-family friend says "Jeff has tired of Mark's excessive self-pity."
* Andrew and Mark don't speak to their mom, Ruth, "not because they think she was involved [they don't] but because they believe her tendency to side with [Bernie], no matter what, when they complained to her about him, enabled his dirty deeds."
MADOFF SONS' MANY MISERIES- New York Post
Awwwwwwww....poor guys. Have to use different names to make reservations. My heart bleeds.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)