Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helicopter mothering taken to a new low

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Helicopter mothering taken to a new low

SO much for "what happens on the road stays on the road".

One mother has sent a shudder through the backpacking community by tracking her son's every move on a trip around Australia.

Harry Wilder is carrying a satellite navigation device that allows mum Rachel to pinpoint his movements at any time from her home in England.

Travelling the world in his gap year, 19-year-old Harry says he is not bothered by having someone constantly looking over his shoulder.

"It has actually worked in my favour because if they can see where I am, I don't get constant phone calls asking how I am," he said.

The palm-sized TRAAKiT device, created by his uncle David Clayton, sends a constant signal that can be monitored over the internet.

Harry, from Wallingford in Oxfordshire, travelled to Kenya in January and then to Canada before arriving in Sydney at Easter. School friend Sebastian Knight brought the tracking device from the UK in late April.

"He's 19 so he's got to do his things for himself," said Ms Wilder. "He doesn't feel like he's being spied on.

"It's just good to know where they've got to."

But Danish backpackers Jakob Schmidt and Inglelise Melchiorsen, who are in Sydney, say they could not cope with being monitored.

"It's like something you put on a dog," said Miss Melchiorsen.Backpacker&squo;s mother tags along via satellite | The Daily Telegraph
    I'm with the Danish chick...this is ridiculous.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

A*O

Oh please, Harry needs to grow some balls and chuck mommy's tracking device off the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Or slip it into someone else's backpack.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Well, he seems happy to wear it. I'm more worried for any girls who go out with him. He's obviously a momma's boy!

How disgusting :\

Might come in handy if he disappeared. She can't see what he's doing-just where he is at that moment.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

and wtf good will it do if he gets lost in the woods. Is mommy going to fly over in her jet and save him?

Stupid cow.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If everyone wore devices like this, it could save a lot of lives. Still, it kind of negates the freedom of you against the wilderness.

I don't see it as being terribly obtrusive, however, as it doesn't seem to do anything besides track his location. Its not as if mummy can call him on it, ask him how he's doing.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

No, she can just watch his every move, it's still a leash.. for a fucking 19 year old! Old enough to vote and go to war, not old enough to go backpacking on his own with other people.

Fucking ridiculous.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

She can watch a tiny dot on a map. She's not watching him take a leak or fuck his buddies. It actually used to be a past time of families to chart their traveling family members and guestimate how far along the map they were, back when travel means were a hell of a lot slower. I don't see this as being terribly different.

Also, it doesn't sound like this was forced upon the son, so why should anyone else give a shit?

People DO get lost and endangered hiking. Its not like its perfectly safe. For someone to take a distant but involved interest in someone they love is not that odd. I wonder if everyone would be flipping the fuck out about leashes if it were his boyfriend, or his five year old son that wanted to track his trip?
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    She can watch a tiny dot on a map. She's not watching him take a leak or fuck his buddies. It actually used to be a past time of families to chart their traveling family members and guestimate how far along the map they were, back when travel means were a hell of a lot slower. I don't see this as being terribly different.

Also, it doesn't sound like this was forced upon the son, so why should anyone else give a shit?

People DO get lost and endangered hiking. Its not like its perfectly safe. For someone to take a distant but involved interest in someone they love is not that odd. I wonder if everyone would be flipping the fuck out about leashes if it were his boyfriend, or his five year old son that wanted to track his trip?
    I agree. I think we are both thinking of a person this would have helped so much. This is not an invasion of privacy-just a mild safety measure.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Some kind of gap year...

Momma sounds psychotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    I'm more worried for any girls who go out with him. He's obviously a momma's boy!
    He will NEVER find a date.

Gawd, poor dude.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Oh please, Harry needs to grow some balls and chuck mommy's tracking device off the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Or slip it into someone else's backpack.
    This is exactly what my 19 year old self probably would have done if inflicted with such. But my mom probably would have been too busy planning a huge party if she got any of her kids at that age out of the house long enough for a trip like that.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post

if he was doing t his so his kid could track his trip, that's different. he'd be the parent, the one in the position of authority, and it would be his decision.
    as it is, he might say he's fine with it but it just screams castrated mummy's boy with no will of his own. and i agree, the mother probably didn't have to 'force' him to do anything. she's had 19 years to smother him so much that he probably doesn't realise how weird it is that at 19, mummy is still tracking his every move.
    it's fucking weird, any way you look at it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'd throw that thing off a fucking cliff, call her and say "I'm cutting the leash, i'll be fine, i'm with a group of people, you'll hear from me every so often"

god, grow UP

Grimm - I'm sure Mommy is still paying for everything so he will be reluctant to cut that cord. I think he should drop it off at the nearest brothel and let mommy come looking for him.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information