Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give the donkeys a rest! Plea to visitors over tourist site cruelty

Thumbs down Give the donkeys a rest! Plea to visitors over tourist site cruelty

Head hanging down, the donkey presses on in the blazing heat with its extraordinarily heavy human load.
    Carrying a tourist weighing more than itself, the skinny animal sometimes falters, but is urged on by the handler - who hits its hind quarters with sticks or nails.
    As this shocking picture shows, animals in many destinations visited by hundreds of thousands of tourists a year still have to endure great suffering as they are treated like 'machines' by their impoverished owners and visitors.

Beast of burden: A picture from Petra released by the Brooke Charity

Now a leading animal charity has told travellers that it is time they helped put an end to such cruelty.
    Two destinations of particular concern are the ancient city of Petra, in Jordan, and the Egyptian pyramids in Cairo.
    In rose-stoned Petra, where this picture was taken, many are determined to climb 800 steps cut in rock to see the impressive view from the Ad-Deir Monastery.
    But the trek proves too much for some, so they use the donkeys, led by locals who rely on the animals for their livelihood. Because they are desperate for money the handlers often insist no load is too big.

Cruelty: A skinny donkey struggles under the weight of a tired tourist in a shocking example of the way animals are treated at top tourist destinations

As a result, visitors heave themselves on to the animals which are sometimes smaller than their load.
    Others double-up for a ride, or cram as many people as possible into a carriage pulled by a horse. The horses can be highly decorated - but the ornate coverings can hide sores caused by rubbing and the animal's protruding bones.
    But while they spend all day working, the animals can go without food because owners cannot afford to feed them after tourists barter them down on the price of a ride.

One of the donkeys is urged up the 800 steps at Petra, in Jordan, by his desperate owner

Donkey and horse charity The Brooke, whose president is the Duchess of Cornwall, stressed such treatment happens across the world. 'They are living beings, they're not machines,' said Dorcas Pratt, head of international development at the charity.
    'When people get on to a horse or donkey, they should make sure they match their size to the size of the animal.
    Never mind whether it seems to be able to take your weight, it might be suffering from carrying that weight.'
    Mrs Pratt, added that while beach donkeys in Britain have a charter detailing their rights, which includes a strict eight-stone weight limit, there are no protection regulations overseas.
    She said: 'People are not deliberately being cruel, but when they go abroad maybe they lose sight of the fact the animal still feels.'

Plight: Many of the donkey are not fed properly because tourists haggle the price of a ride down and elaborate harnesses often hide sores and protruding bones

'When horses are raced against each other they are beaten with sticks, electric flex or even nails.
    'Sometimes tourists might want to have a bit of fun and encourage the handler to race them, not realising how painful this can be for the animal.
    'There needs to be one person per animal, the rider needs to match their weight to the animal.
    'It is also important that tourists pay a fair price for the ride, as bartering the owner down will just mean they have a tighter budget, which means the animal can suffer and might not get fed.
    'Choose the animal, rather than a highly decorated carriage, and praise the owner for their healthy animal.'

Give the donkeys a rest! Plea to visitors over tourist site cruelty | Mail Online

Ugh. Those assholes need to be the ones hoofing it. And maybe even carrying the poor donkey.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

That is so sad. Those fat asses need to get off of those poor animals before they break them in half. Poor things.

Poor donkeys!

that is so sad. i'm seriously about to cry.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Oh. My.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Horrible. How about some rights for these animals?

Aww, those poor donkeys. The crap that they have to go through.
    Rock the fuck on!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

NO offense but these are exactly the people who should be hefting their girth up a few miles of mountain...often.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

I can't believe the nerve of these "porks" - getting on a tiny donkey knowing how much they weight. Obscene!

I was kinda scared when I came in here because I thought it might be about the donkey show in Tijuana. Thank God it wasn't! Sorta. That donkey has to get tired too.

Quote Originally Posted by TaffyMoon View Post
    I can't believe the nerve of these "porks" - getting on a tiny donkey knowing how much they weight. Obscene!
    exactly. this isn't about fat discrimination or anything like that. it's just plain animal cruelty!!! the people who are too large for these animals and ride them anyway are just as bad as the owners.

i've got to stop coming to this thread...it seriously breaks my freaking heart too much.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Those fatasses look absolutely revolting hanging all off the sides of these poor creatures whose backs look like they are caving in. I swear to fuck if I saw a picture of myself looking like that I'd put a fucking gun in my mouth. Lard ass fucks.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can just picture those poor donkeys looking down the tourist line, parying they don't get one of the hefty ones.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Disgusting. And they have the 'saddles' secured by tying around the tail. These people, the owners and the riders, deserve to rot in hell. Just remember that the cows, pigs, chickens, etc. in the restaurants and supermarkets had no picnic of a life either. Not only did these people abuse these donkeys, but imagine how many animals they gorged themselves on to reach this size. Sick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information