Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7-year-old with troubled past commits suicide

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Default 7-year-old with troubled past commits suicide

7-Year-Old With Troubled Past Commits Suicide
    Gabriel Myers Told Therapist He Was 'A Bad Person... Born A Liar'

Miami, FL - A 7-year-old boy who allegedly hanged himself complained to his therapists that he was "a bad person," and "born a liar," taught to lie by his own mother, according to newly released documents.

The nearly 1,500 pages released late Friday night by state officials paint the portrait of a terribly troubled child in the foster care system -- going from home to home with a repetitive sentiment: loneliness and anger. In just seven years, Gabriel Myers seems to have experienced a life no parent would want for any child, reports CBS station WFOR-TV in Miami.

Myers, who turned 7 in January, died on April 16th when police say he hanged himself using the extendable shower-head in his foster parents' Margate home. But according to the documents obtained by the CBS, the child's troubled life began long before.

In 2003, the 7-year-old's mother, Candace Myers, was arrested by Hallandale Beach police on charges of cocaine possession and driving under the influence. But it wasn't until a similar arrest last June by the same police agency that a judge ordered the child be removed from his mother's custody. He had been found in a car with his unconscious mother, surrounded by powdered cocaine and crack cocaine.

That's when a child in the midst of losing his innocence -- and ultimately his life -- is captured on paper.

"My mom taught me how to lie. She always lied to the police, to everybody," he told a therapist after throwing scissors in school. "I lied when I was 1 year old, I lied when I was 2 years old. I was born a liar and I will always be lying," he said in another therapy session.

"[The] devil makes me lie and do all those bad things. He is bad and he makes you do bad things," the boy told the therapist.

In the documents, the child recalls being molested by another 12-year-old boy and being told to "pee in [the 12-year-old's] mouth." The records also show the child had been molesting girls and boys at school, touching them inappropriately, and threatening to kill others and himself. He repeatedly said he had no friends.

"I used to have some imaginary friends. I still have one but I haven't been talking to him a long time," Myers reportedly said.

Psychiatrists and therapists wrote that the young boy wasn't suicidal or psychotic, but from time to time, had dramatic tantrums. It was during one of those tantrums that he lost his life and, according to a DCF spokesperson reached Saturday, the circumstances surrounding that tantrum could have been a violation from the start.

According to the DCF documents, when Gabriel Myers was found dead April 16th, he was left at the Margate home with 19-year-old Miguel Gould. Gould is the son of Michael and Daver Gould, Myers' foster care parents. He was visiting from Canada, according to the DCF spokesperson.

Miguel told Margate police that he was "caring for Gabriel for the day because the boy was home sick from [school]." The child reportedly threw his bowl of soup into the trash, "so Miguel sent the child to his room," Margate police documented. While in his room, the boy began throwing toys then told Miguel Gould that "he was going to [go] into the bathroom and kill himself." Miguel Gould told police that he later called his stepmother to tell her what happened and couldn't get into the bathroom for another five to ten minutes. That's when the child was reportedly found hanged.

The problem is Miguel Gould wasn't even supposed to be left alone with the 7-year-old, according to the DCF spokesperson. He had not been officially screened by the agency.

"Kids in Distress [one of the organizations charged with overseeing Gabriel Myers] was aware that Miguel was coming to visit. They had begun background studies on him, but he was not a part of the recently signed safety contract so he should not have been left alone with Gabriel, if that's what happened," said DCF Regional Spokesperson Leslie Mann.

A REPETITIVE CYCLE

The Gould foster home was Gabriel Myers' third in less than a year. The DCF documents obtained by the I-Team show he first entered the foster care system on June 29, 2008. He was placed in a licensed home through Kids in Distress. Some days later, he was moved to the home of his aunt and uncle. He lived there for some three months until Broward Sheriff's Office (BSO) investigators received a report alleging sexual and physical abuse.

While investigators found no signs of sexual abuse, the uncle revealed he "did try corporal punishment" and hit the child with a belt. A Broward County judge issued an emergency order and moved Gabriel Myers back to the licensed home.

However, that wasn't the last move for Gabriel. In March, the foster parent thought Gabriel might be a threat to his baby and requested "expedited service" in removing the child from his home. Officials with Kids in Distress, ChildNet, and DCF moved Gabriel to the Gould home.

MEDICATION COCKTAIL

According to the documents, when Gabriel first entered the system, he had with him a prescription bottle of Adderall XR, a drug typically taken for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). The medication appeared melted. A new prescription was filled, but ultimately stopped. The DCF documents show Gabriel began seeing a psychiatrist soon after entering the system.

The psychiatrist later prescribed Lexapro, a drug for depression and anxiety, and Vyvanse for the child's ADHD. In March, doctors took Gabriel off Lexapro, and put him on Symbyax, also for depression and possible schizophrenia.

All three of the drugs have an FDA-mandated "black box" warning -- a statement on the prescription's box which describes its possible adverse reactions, including suicidal thoughts.

DCF INVESTIGATION STALLED

Meanwhile, DCF intends to continue its investigation and Mann says an important piece of the puzzle is whether he was left alone with the 19-year-old, the DCF spokesperson said. But law enforcement won't allow DCF to interview the Gould family to see if Miguel had any prior training to take care of Gabriel, until after Margate police finish their investigation

"Urgency is our mission and transparency is our mission. It's difficult to answer because we don't have all the answers. We're thinking Gabriel was home alone with the 19-year-old but we don't have 100 percent confirmation of that. If he was, that would have been a violation," said Mann.

The documents show a child shuffled around, seemingly not wanted by anyone, and in the end, alone in a Margate bathroom.

Seven-Year-Old Suicide Victim: 'I'm a bad person' - cbs2.com
    ( MMIX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
    how fucking tragic!

WTF. I wonder if he was a crack baby, or if his mother did other drugs while pregnant with him. That would explain the mental issues/deficiencies.

But all that stuff about imaginary friends and the devil and being born a liar is just too damn freaky. And then hanging himself--what 7 yr old thinks like that?? It's like multiple personalities or possession.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

What a sad story. It could have gone another way, with this kid killing his foster family or similar. Just so sad. I hate hearing about kids being abused. It makes me twist up inside.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

That poor child. The world is so fucked up!

Fucking hell, seven years old.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Can you imagine how bad life must have been for a 7 year old to commit suicide? It makes me understand why 7 year olds kill. It's just another way out.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Wow. WOW.

7 yrs old. And was THAT fucked up already. Insane.

Poor baby. Never had a fucking chance from the day he was born, it sounds like.
    "You should've never trusted Hollywood..."

Prosecute the birth mother!

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    WTF. I wonder if he was a crack baby, or if his mother did other drugs while pregnant with him. That would explain the mental issues/deficiencies.

But all that stuff about imaginary friends and the devil and being born a liar is just too damn freaky. And then hanging himself--what 7 yr old thinks like that?? It's like multiple personalities or possession.
    Most likely these were horrible things said to him by the unhealthy adults who were in his life.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I have personally seen one 8 yr in the hospital. Sandy hair & freckles on the palest skin. He wouldn't even look up. Parents (at a glance) seemed concerned,normal. It is a sick feeling to just see.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Nah.

Just a kid with a hard life who was very aware. That kind of life beats any innocence out of you, you become a hardbitten mini-adult with a limited vocabulary.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

omg you're right Bee! I knew a crack baby in high school, the kid was super fucked up and not likely to get better w/ time either.

How sad! To be 7 years old and think like that...

Aren't there special cases where foster families have to be trained to deal with disturbed children? I feel like I've heard that before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

What a sad story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information