Thread: Artist turns traditional porcelain figurines into 'Chav' scenes

Default Artist turns traditional porcelain figurines into 'Chav' scenes

An artist has transformed porcelain figures into British chavs eating fast food and carrying out 'happy-slappings' as part of an extraordinary new collection.
    With the addition of mobile phones and hoodies, Barnaby Barford turned the traditional porcelain, bought for a few pounds from junk shops, into models which sell for as much as 8,000.
    Sets include a family scoffing buckets of KFC and a hooded boy spraying graffiti on a wall.

Enlarge
    Happy meal: An otherwise cherubic street urchin wolfs down a MacDonald's burger and fries

Enlarge
    Happy slapping: This model features a boy punching another down while the incident is filmed via camera phone

Other models show a boy wolfing down a McDonald's burger and
    more 'hoodies' causing havoc in a park.
    One piece entitled 'Do it again, I didn't press record' even shows kids 'happy slapping' a helpless victim - one boy kicks a figure curled up on the floor while his cherub-faced accomplice films it on a mobile phone.
    Artist Barnaby Barford said his collection, called 'The Good, The Bad, The Belle', reflects how the youth of today are perceived by the older generation.
    The 31-year-old, who lives in London with his wife Valeria, 31, added that there had been a mixed reaction to his unusual figurines.
    He said: 'It's been interesting to see different people's reactions to the models.

Enlarge
    The artist at work: Barnaby Barford admits that some people find his figurines 'horrific'

'Some people think they're horrific and others think they're funny.
    'But in general there's been a great response - people enjoy the humour.
    'I think people are shocked because the models catch them off guard - they're seeing these usually traditional, pretty porcelain models in a totally new context.
    'In a way it is shocking but I don't believe it's in a gross way.'
    Enlarge
    Tea time: A well-heeled family chow down on a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken

Mr Barford uses antique porcelain models, bought from car-boot sales and charity shops, as a base for his collection.
    The original models are dismantled by the artist and given a dramatic facelift from, what he calls, the 'idealistic' images of childhood to a more humorous, modern image of youth.
    He said: 'Most of the porcelain figures you see in the charity shops represent some ideal of childhood and I wanted to remake that to reflect today's perceptions.'
    After cutting up and rearranging the pieces Mr Barford fits his transformed figurines with hoodies and equips them with the necessary mobile phone and fast-food accessories, all of which are painstakingly made by the artist.
    The final pieces, which are all unique, are then coated with enamel to complete the porcelain effect.
    The whole process takes up to three months.

Enlarge
    Hoodies on the rampage: A group of youngsters commit carnage
    Mr Barford said his pieces were not meant to be a criticism of today's youth.

He said: 'I'm not vilifying the youth of today in any way, I'm not telling them off but rather reflecting the way they are perceived.
    'I think it's a really pertinent issue today but I didn't want to deal with the subject in a way that would put people off.
    'I wasn't trying to get a particular reaction to the collection - these models have different levels, there are different ways of looking at them.
    'If you want to have a laugh and just enjoy them visually that's great but there is also the opportunity to extract a deeper meaning.'
    Mr Barford's collection is currently on display at the Spring Projects gallery in London.

Enlarge
    Ring-a-Ring-a-Roses: A group of young girls dance in a circle ... carrying pistols

Artist transforms porcelain figures into a gang of rowdy happy-slapping chavs | Mail Online

I kind of dig these.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I think they're cool too...

They made me laugh. I did something very similar to this in art college, only with paintings I found in charity shops, I turned them into murder scenes. :-)

neat.

I love them, I want one.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

hahaha that's hilarious. i want one.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I like the last one.

Bronze Member

Haha, hope he moves on to Snowbabies.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertForster View Post
    I like these figurines. Most of all I like "Ring-a-Ring-a-Roses". It's amazing!

My sister is crazy about porcelain figurines. We usually buy them for her on different occasions. Last week I found a great site with lladro figurines for sale. I've already ordered "Wallace & Gromit" figures.

Today I occasionally found this topic here. Do you know where I can buy something like "Ring-a-Ring-a-Roses"?
    The fuck?
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by RupertForster View Post
    I like these figurines. Most of all I like "Ring-a-Ring-a-Roses". It's amazing!

My sister is crazy about porcelain figurines. We usually buy them for her on different occasions. Last week I found a great site with SPAM FIGUIRINES for sale. I've already ordered "Wallace & Gromit" figures.

Today I occasionally found this topic here. Do you know where I can buy something like "Ring-a-Ring-a-Roses"?
    A-fucking-mazing! You found a shop last week and then you started working for them and spamming them online!!!!! You must have REALLY liked the shop.
    "I don't want to see a ghost. It's the sight that I fear most. I'd rather have a piece of toast." Des'ree

I wish he would do some redneck ones. I would love one with a pregnant woman, barefooted, cig in mouth, and don't forget the baby on her hip.

Love the ladies with guns, but pearl-handled would've been even better.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Bumpity bump just pushing this story above the raped baby story. Anyways, I should totally swap my mums ornaments for some of these and see how long till she notices.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Thread Information