Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muslim mother excluded from school parents' evening for wearing veil

Default Muslim mother excluded from school parents' evening for wearing veil

A Muslim mother was turned away from a school parents' evening for her son because she was wearing a full-length veil.

Police were called when the 34-year-old refused to leave Our Lady and St. John Catholic Art College, in Blackburn, Lancashire, which she attended herself.
    The comprehensive school operates a policy which requires anyone entering the building to remove specific headwear for identification purposes.

She claims the problem first surfaced at a parents' evening two years when she was told she was not allowed into the main hall while wearing her niqab.
    The full veil, which covers all the body except the eyes, is worn by a minority of Muslim women in the UK as part of their religious beliefs, to protect their modesty from men.
    The woman, who does not wish to be named, said: "I explained that I was willing to take off the veil in front of the female teachers, but not the male teachers.
    "A year later the same thing happened when I went to drop my son off at the school. Then this week at a parent's evening I signed myself in and saw two teachers in the library as I was not allowed in the main hall.
    "Then I got asked by a senior member of staff whether I was aware of the school's policy on identification."
    Since the issue arose in 2007, the school's policy has been amended to include full veils with items such as hoodies and crash helmets that have to be removed before entering the building.
    The woman claims that had she been made aware of the change in advance, she would not have enrolled her son at her former school.
    She added: "The whole situation has upset me and I don't like going to the school any more because I always leave crying.
    "I can understand that people should be identified but I am just a normal person trying to lead a normal life. Why should how I dress make a difference?"
    A spokesman for Lancashire Police confirmed officers were called to the school, but had taken no further action.
    Colette Gillen, the headteacher, said the school was rated as "outstanding" by Ofsted for community cohesion, care and guidance.
    She said whilst it was acceptable for women to wear veils on a one-to-one basis at meeting, difficulties could arise when people were wandering around corridors or rooms.
    A Blackburn with Darwen borough council spokesman said it was for individual schools to implement dress policy, including the wearing of veils.
    The town became the focus of national attention in 2006 when its MP Jack Straw, the Justice Secretary, suggested the wearing of veils could damage community relations because they were a "visible statement of separation and of difference".
    At the same time Aisha Azmi, a 24 year old teaching assistant, from Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, was suspended for refusing to remove her veil in lessons in case male colleagues saw her,
    She later lost an appeal against an employment tribunal's decision that she had not been discriminated against on religious grounds.
    Her employers, Headfield Junior School, insisted face-to-face communication was essential in her role as a bi-lingual support worker.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ring-veil.html

I'm with the school on this one. I wonder if she wore her veil while she was a student at the school?

A*O

If her religion is so important to her why send her child to an infidel Catholic school? Just asking. There are plenty of Muslim schools in that area.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

exactly - a Muslim complaining about the Catholic school rules..... if she takes her religion so seriously why would she send her child to a Catholic School???

A*O

I'd like to see how many Catholic kids are welcomed into a Muslim school. Just saying.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

The woman, who does not wish to be named, said: "I explained that I was willing to take off the veil in front of the female teachers, but not the male teachers.
    So why didn't they just get a female teacher to verify her identity?
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I'd like to see how many Catholic kids are welcomed into a Muslim school. Just saying.
    Plenty. I can't speak for every single Muslim school in the Western world, but I know a few people from non-Muslim or mixed marriage families who went to Islamic private schools.

This woman just sounds like a pot-stirrer. I mean, honestly - I think I've seen like, 2 women in my entire life wearing that sort of veil. Even when I was in Malaysia, which is an Islamic nation, the most I saw women wearing was a hijab (the headscarf thingie, where the face is fully visible). It's not a religious requirement, which she would bloody well know herself. By whinging about something that is not a genuine case of discrimination, she's doing a big disservice to Muslims who face real and unfair discrimination - it's like the boy who cried wolf, you know? Only, it's the innocents who'll suffer when the public ends up jaded regarding complaints on the grounds of religious discrimination.

ninjas not allowed, lady. People end up dead.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    If her religion is so important to her why send her child to an infidel Catholic school? Just asking. There are plenty of Muslim schools in that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerorchid View Post
    exactly - a Muslim complaining about the Catholic school rules..... if she takes her religion so seriously why would she send her child to a Catholic School???

Agree on both points.

i'm with the school.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It's crazy, but it's so not a big deal for schools here. And there has yet to be a Muslim woman with a niqab running amok killing people in our schools. I see women wearing these all the time, it's such a m'eh issue for me. I think I'm more put off by people with mullets, I wish they'd cover their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by katerpillar View Post
    Plenty. I can't speak for every single Muslim school in the Western world, but I know a few people from non-Muslim or mixed marriage families who went to Islamic private schools.

This woman just sounds like a pot-stirrer. I mean, honestly - I think I've seen like, 2 women in my entire life wearing that sort of veil. Even when I was in Malaysia, which is an Islamic nation, the most I saw women wearing was a hijab (the headscarf thingie, where the face is fully visible). It's not a religious requirement, which she would bloody well know herself. By whinging about something that is not a genuine case of discrimination, she's doing a big disservice to Muslims who face real and unfair discrimination - it's like the boy who cried wolf, you know? Only, it's the innocents who'll suffer when the public ends up jaded regarding complaints on the grounds of religious discrimination.
    Seriously. Where are these people from where the niqab is widespread?! The niqab is only worn by the very, very conservative in small pockets and regions in the Middle East - any moderate Muslim will either not be veiled at all or be wearing the hijab. In fact, the niqab is a very volatile subject among moderate Muslims, many of whom detest the practice. I have only seen a handful of women my entire life that wear the niqab, I wonder if the writer of this article is unaware between the niqab and the hijab? Obviously this particular woman, the way it was described, was wearing the niqab. But I just cannot see this as a widespread practice in the UK, when its not even widespread within the Middle East (save Saudi Arabia/Iran).
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by gardenofeve View Post
    It's crazy, but it's so not a big deal for schools here. And there has yet to be a Muslim woman with a niqab running amok killing people in our schools. I see women wearing these all the time, it's such a m'eh issue for me. I think I'm more put off by people with mullets, I wish they'd cover their heads.
    Oh you speak the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Seriously. Where are these people from where the niqab is widespread?! The niqab is only worn by the very, very conservative in small pockets and regions in the Middle East - any moderate Muslim will either not be veiled at all or be wearing the hijab. In fact, the niqab is a very volatile subject among moderate Muslims, many of whom detest the practice. I have only seen a handful of women my entire life that wear the niqab, I wonder if the writer of this article is unaware between the niqab and the hijab? Obviously this particular woman, the way it was described, was wearing the niqab. But I just cannot see this as a widespread practice in the UK, when its not even widespread within the Middle East (save Saudi Arabia/Iran).
    It's funny, because I could see anywhere from 1-12 women a week who are wearing niqab and I live well away from the Middle East.

Holly hell. I'm seriously shocked, and I'm not being condescending. Where do you live? Thats bizarre!
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information