Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'We may eventually let women drive." - Saudis

Talking 'We may eventually let women drive." - Saudis

How magnanimous of him..

The king of Saudi Arabia says women may eventually be allowed to drive in the kingdom.

Saudi Arabia will fight the "madness" of Islamic terrorism for 30 years if necessary, but it will expand the rights of women and eventually allow them to drive, Saudi King Abdullah has told an American TV channel.

In an interview with ABC's Barbara Walters, the king denied assertions that his government finances schools that teach a fundamentalist philosophy of Islam which can lead to militancy.

Saudi Arabia "will fight the terrorists, and those who support them or condone their actions, for 10, 20 or 30 years if we have to, until we eliminate this scourge," the king said, according to an ABC report of the interview which is due to be broadcast on Friday night.

When asked why groups such as al-Qaida, the terror network led by the Saudi-born Osama bin Laden, had taken root in the kingdom, the king replied: "Madness and evil, it is the work of the devil."

Foreign observers and liberal Saudis have long contended that the way Islam is taught in Saudi schools encourages attitudes that may lead students to become terrorists later.

"For those who level these charges against us, I say provide us with the evidence that this is happening and we will deal with it," the king said. "It is not logical or rational for us to be supporting it.

"We have also regulated our charities and we have closed offices around the world, and we have withdrawn support for institutions that we found to be extremist," he added.

After the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States, the kingdom took steps to prevent money collected by Islamic charities from being diverted to terrorist groups.

The kingdom was initially faulted for being slow to clamp down on militants and their financing, but it drastically stepped up its measures after al-Qaida-linked groups launched a series of terror attacks on Saudi soil in May 2003.

Abdullah, who became king on the death of his half-brother Fahd in August, told ABC that he was committed to increasing the rights of Saudi women, who are currently not permitted to drive cars and who need a male relative's permission to travel abroad or attend university.

"I believe the day will come when women drive," he said. "In fact, if you look at the areas in Saudi Arabia, the deserts and in the rural areas, you will find that women do drive.

Driving licenses for women "will require patience. In time, I believe it will be possible," the king said in the ABC report, which was posted on the Internet.

But when pressed on whether he would legalize female driving, Abdullah indicated Saudi men were too conservative for such a step any time soon.
    "I value and take care of my people as I would my eyes ... I respect my people," he said.
    All I can say is...

Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I wouldn't set foot in Saudi Arabia even if you gave me a million dollars. Fuck that place.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Well, gee, isn't that big of 'em....
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

They should probably TEACH them how to drive first..

"Honey, no, that's the wrong end, get out of the.. oh forget it.."
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

I was in Dubai a few weeks ago which is Soddom and Gamorrah compared to Saudi Arabia let me tell you, but the driving is psycho. Every time I got in a taxi I said a little prayer to my Infidel God, and the WORST drivers were the Emirates Airlines cars that took us to/from the airport to/from our hotel. And they were men.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

What an *sshole.

SVZ

is it safe? i mean if they have to wear burqas...

^^^true, what about their peripheral vision?

A*O

99% of the drivers are men - apart from the expat women. It's a very interesting place, 99% of the 'service' workers are from overseas too. ALL the hotel workers, taxi drivers, shop keepers, cleaners, construction workers, garbage collectors, etc etc are from India, Pakistan, Philippines, etc because the locals can't/won't do those 'menial' jobs. At the moment they have oil revenues to keep them in luxury while imported peons do the work, but the oil and its revenue is going to run out soon.........
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

ReinaBikipatra

It is older but the book Princess by Jean Sasson is a great view into the Saudi treatment of women, even those in the royal family.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    is it safe? i mean if they have to wear burqas...

Saudi women don't wear burqas, they wear abayas which cover the head. The veils are made from sheer fabric, but they're still hard to see through. Bedouin women wear different head coverings which leave the eyes completely uncovered but which cover the rest of the head/face.

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    I wouldn't set foot in Saudi Arabia even if you gave me a million dollars. Fuck that place.
    Ditoo. It's one of the most corrupt, evil places on earth, and of course -- they're Dubya's best pals.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    99% of the drivers are men - apart from the expat women. It's a very interesting place, 99% of the 'service' workers are from overseas too. ALL the hotel workers, taxi drivers, shop keepers, cleaners, construction workers, garbage collectors, etc etc are from India, Pakistan, Philippines, etc because the locals can't/won't do those 'menial' jobs. At the moment they have oil revenues to keep them in luxury while imported peons do the work, but the oil and its revenue is going to run out soon.........
    Revenue is running out largely in part to the huge royal family and its incredibly wasteful, spendthrift ways. Meanwhile the rest of the Saudis are struggling for basics. Sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
    Looks like it has already begun:

Buying is a profound pleasure. Simone De Beauvoir

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Revenue is running out largely in part to the huge royal family and its incredibly wasteful, spendthrift ways. Meanwhile the rest of the Saudis are struggling for basics. Sound familiar?
    I'm surprised there hasn't been an uprising yet by the poor majority.
    Coffee is my happy drug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information