Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $100 million Mosque in the works near Ground Zero

Mosque does not equal terrorism. The sooner the population gets over that idea, the better. The best way to achieve tolerance and understanding is to be vocal and open-minded. By which I mean to say, build as many Mosques as you like, but don't exclude anyone from it. Open it to non-Muslims so that they can see what Islam is like. It's all about the dialogue.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

^^ i totally agree. but i'm afraid this won't happen. most people and intolerant, ignorant and have a prejudice against muslims. you know how crazy people get when they build mosques over here...
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

^That's what worries me. It's not the mosque itself but the reaction of the crazies who are going to say they're trying to "take over" or "rub our faces in it". And that's what's going to happen. These people are still putting the caps lock on Obama's middle name as if it means something.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Quote Originally Posted by xXull View Post
    People generally can't be trusted to think logically in the first place, many people are just going to perceive it as a threat and the nice muslims in the area will find themselves re-living the bigotry they faced immediately after 9/11. It's just going to cause trouble.

Yeah, unfortunately, I agree. I see no harm in building mosques personally (I don't like any of those major world religions anyway) but realistically speaking this is just askin' for trouble. Oh well.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Elite Member

Maybe this would serve as an education against prejudice.

Those terrorist arseholes didn't bring down the twin towers in the name of Islam; they were following an ideology that goes against much of the Islamic faith. Any half educated person could see that but maybe a mosque within the communtiy will help more people to understand. It will probably take a while though...

My only criticism would be is that is truly prime real estate in that location and it seems silly to waste it on a religious buliding when NY could be extracting massive taxes from an office building or retail space being there.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Monday, Jun 7, 2010 18:10 ET "Ground Zero Mosque" protest ends up, predictably, with racially-motivated hatred

By Alex Pareene AP/Swoan Parker
    People in New York protest the proposed construction of a mosque near the World Trade Center site on Sunday, June 6.

There was a protest yesterday, attended by various wingnuts, racists, riled-up nativists, and terrified fools, of the supposed "Ground Zero mosque." (It will not be at Ground Zero, and it will actually be a community center that will include a mosque. But still.)

While national conservatives have picked up the ball, what local opposition there is to the proposed community center has been ginned up by Rupert Murdoch's New York Post -- mainly via perpetually outraged columnist Andrea Peyser, whose anti-mosque columns are regularly teased on the front page.

The entire anti-mosque campaign isn't about anything other than pure, paranoid Islamophobia. A Peyser column a few weeks ago was entirely about people in Sheepshead Bay -- some miles from Ground Zero -- protesting a proposed mosque solely because they're scared of Muslims.
    Anyway, they had their protest yesterday. Mike Kelly of the Bergen (New Jersey) Record reported this heartwarming incident:
    At one point, a portion of the crowd menacingly surrounded two Egyptian men who were speaking Arabic and were thought to be Muslims.
    "Go home," several shouted from the crowd.
    "Get out," others shouted.
    In fact, the two men – Joseph Nassralla and Karam El Masry — were not Muslims at all. They turned out to be Egyptian Coptic Christians who work for a California-based Christian satellite TV station called "The Way." Both said they had come to protest the mosque.
    "I'm a Christian," Nassralla shouted to the crowd, his eyes bulging and beads of sweat rolling down his face.
    But it was no use. The protesters had become so angry at what they thought were Muslims that New York City police officers had to rush in and pull Nassralla and El Masry to safety.
    "I flew nine hours in an airplane to come here," a frustrated Nassralla said afterward.
    But don't you dare call these people bigots!

"Ground Zero Mosque" protest ends up, predictably, with racially-motivated hatred - War Room - Salon.com

OMG brown people!!!!!
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

This is going to end up being one hell of a clusterfuck I'm afraid.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

I don't care if they want to build a Mosque on every corner like a 7-11, just don't use taxpayer money to do it. Aren't we in a recession?? I know I still am.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
    That is so TRUE! I have several Muslim friends and they are not out to kill me! lol They are very kind, generous, and dear to me. I am surprised at how many of them are more liberal than most of my christian friends. Maybe there is a sector of Muslims who are far from the stereotype and they all happen to be my friends. I have one Muslim friend, her son recently declared himself an atheist, he's 13. She ask me what I thought, told her well I don't really have one, I'm agonistic. She reverbed back, that's good, I don't have to worry about you telling me I am going to hell. hehe
    Very true indeed. The Muslims I know have been so gracious and hospitable to me that I feel inclined to defend them at every turn. My husband is a Muslim and the nicest, most honest and most supportive man I have ever met. There is a ton of anti-Muslim sentiment though, we've been through a lot, even him being called a sand nigger and an Osama lover when we were back in the Midwest. When we got married his side of the family and friends all supported me tremendously, loved me and were so incredibly gracious. I've never felt awkward, or pushed to convert, it was quite the opposite. His mom asks me all kinds of questions and calls me every Easter and Christmas to wish me well. When we got married, she passed on a Koran that had been in her family for years. She was very honest with me, pulled me aside, and asked me, "would this offend you? If so, it's okay, it's just a tradition in our family but I would never do anything to offend you. This is not meant to make you feel uncomfortable." I was so touched, I said sure, that it was absolutely fine to give me the Koran. Inside was a note from his father, who had passed away, written many years ago. I was very honest from the beginning that I wouldn't convert to Islam, he wouldn't convert to Christianity - and we were both cool with it. It helps that we're both extremely liberal socially. My side of the family (Christian)? Totally different story, 100%. Even some of my closest friends who I never thought were racist came out of the blue to warn me that my soon-to-be husband may change and order me to wear a burka and beat me if I don't submit to him. Honestly, I can't think of one person who was 100% supportive and enthusiastic about our marriage out of all my friends. Swear to God, it was scary the things people believe. My poor husband. My parents never ever would call to wish him a Happy Ramadan or the like, they don't even know when it is and they have absolutely zero desire to ask or inquire about his belief system. One time my mother-in-law was asking about my parents and their beliefs and we got into quite a lengthy discussion about heaven and hell. I was trying to tiptoe around the subject when my mother-in-law asked me, "do your parents believe that non-Christians will go to hell?" I was so nervous to answer but finally I admitted, yes, they do. She got very quiet for a second and then told me, "but this is very sad, yes? Who knows who will go to hell? Shouldn't we all just be good people and wait to see?" I told her unfortunately not everyone believes that and ended up apologizing for my parents. She stopped me midway and told me never to apologize, she holds no ill will towards them and that she will pray for them. She always asks about their health and how they are doing. My parents don't do the same. So here is a woman who knows that my parents don't appreciate her son and thinks she is going to hell, and yet she is the one who asks about them and loves them. Very, very different attitudes. So yes, I get very touchy when people talk badly about Muslims when my experiences have all been so wonderful.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Elite Member

Ironic that the bigoted Egyptian coptic Christians out protesting the mosque got treated to more bigotry.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Very true indeed. The Muslims I know have been so gracious and hospitable to me that I feel inclined to defend them at every turn. My husband is a Muslim and the nicest, most honest and most supportive man I have ever met. There is a ton of anti-Muslim sentiment though, we've been through a lot, even him being called a sand nigger and an Osama lover when we were back in the Midwest. When we got married his side of the family and friends all supported me tremendously, loved me and were so incredibly gracious. I've never felt awkward, or pushed to convert, it was quite the opposite. His mom asks me all kinds of questions and calls me every Easter and Christmas to wish me well. When we got married, she passed on a Koran that had been in her family for years. She was very honest with me, pulled me aside, and asked me, "would this offend you? If so, it's okay, it's just a tradition in our family but I would never do anything to offend you. This is not meant to make you feel uncomfortable." I was so touched, I said sure, that it was absolutely fine to give me the Koran. Inside was a note from his father, who had passed away, written many years ago. I was very honest from the beginning that I wouldn't convert to Islam, he wouldn't convert to Christianity - and we were both cool with it. It helps that we're both extremely liberal socially. My side of the family (Christian)? Totally different story, 100%. Even some of my closest friends who I never thought were racist came out of the blue to warn me that my soon-to-be husband may change and order me to wear a burka and beat me if I don't submit to him. Honestly, I can't think of one person who was 100% supportive and enthusiastic about our marriage out of all my friends. Swear to God, it was scary the things people believe. My poor husband. My parents never ever would call to wish him a Happy Ramadan or the like, they don't even know when it is and they have absolutely zero desire to ask or inquire about his belief system. One time my mother-in-law was asking about my parents and their beliefs and we got into quite a lengthy discussion about heaven and hell. I was trying to tiptoe around the subject when my mother-in-law asked me, "do your parents believe that non-Christians will go to hell?" I was so nervous to answer but finally I admitted, yes, they do. She got very quiet for a second and then told me, "but this is very sad, yes? Who knows who will go to hell? Shouldn't we all just be good people and wait to see?" I told her unfortunately not everyone believes that and ended up apologizing for my parents. She stopped me midway and told me never to apologize, she holds no ill will towards them and that she will pray for them. She always asks about their health and how they are doing. My parents don't do the same. So here is a woman who knows that my parents don't appreciate her son and thinks she is going to hell, and yet she is the one who asks about them and loves them. Very, very different attitudes. So yes, I get very touchy when people talk badly about Muslims when my experiences have all been so wonderful.
    That is a very beautiful and touching story, if only more people were like you guys. It really is touching.

Quote Originally Posted by minime7 View Post
    I do however think it should be built elsewhere not on ground zero for sensitivity sake, it would kind of look like taking over.
    It's not on "ground zero", it's several blocks away. It's the large dot.

Quote Originally Posted by KandyKorn View Post
    just don't use taxpayer money to do it.
    Privately funded, no fear.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

This dip shit Rush wanna be format city council member said some bullshit Radio talk-show host Berry defiant after mosque bomb remark | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
    This guy is such a dick hole.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Yes, because all Muslims are terrorists. You know, counting people like me who are European Muslims and don't wear the head covering but still attend mosque once in a while. We're all terrorists so you have to limit our freedoms in a country renowned for freedom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information