Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hi This is a very strange rule

^^ I wonder about that, too. Apparently, Madonna is an exception. But if you know who "Madonna" is without having her last name, you certainly know who "Britney" is, too.

I would never do a search on Britney just by using "Spears".

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Those seconds add up to a lot of time though when people don't think following the rules or correcting mistakes, or checking thread titles etc. before they post them is important.

Everybody DOES make mistakes, but mods are NOT paid for the work they do and when people keep making the same mistakes over and over again, it kind of makes them feel frustrated, speaking from past experience. I suggested the style of only capitalizing names and places and official titles of things because it makes the site easier to search and read. Lots of people don't do it, but I don't believe anybody here has ever reprimanded anybody for it.

I'm sorry you won't post threads any more because of what happened -- I think that's a real shame.
    Well if everyone will notice I have posted VERY few picture threads, so not thinking the rules apply to me theory or being a repeat offender is shot all to shit.

Also, I understand there are rules for a reason, isn't that the case with anything in life? I am just saying, an infraction for posting a picture without warning to post the source is just a little extreme.
    That's just my opinion though.

Just like giving an infraction for bumping an old thread.

I realize that the rules are there for a reason. If you say that the mods are frustrated, PB, they shouldn't let it out on the wrong people.

Or they should step down from being a mod.

SVZ

Well we've tried to be as clear with the rules as possible. There are reminders at the top of the forum, and there is also a reminder right beside the title entry box when you make a new thread.

re: The full name issue, names like Madonna, Prince, Beyonce are recognizable as first names as that is also their artist name (As you can see on IMDB). They're unique enough to be identifiable.

However names like, Michael, Jessica, Jennifer are not. There are many famous Michaels, Jessicas, Jennifers and even a few Britneys which is why we ask that you use full names.

I understand that you guys come here for fun, but so do we. And really are these "rules" even that hard to follow?

If anything infractions and warnings are just to act as reminders, if you're really unable to write out a person's name or to copy and paste a link (Which beyond legal reasons shows respect for the original author)...I don't know.

All that we ask is that you make things clear and consistent for other members and viewers, and to take the 5 minutes to review the rules, or to take that extra 10 seconds to hit the "Preview" button before submitting, it's just an extended courtesy to others that what you're posting is well formatted and legible.

Just like we ask you not to swear or belittle other members.

As far as celebrity boards go, this is probably one of the most lenient...try posting on Television Without Pity

Oh, I respect it and I like this board, don't get me wrong, SVZ. It just hit me a little wrong that I got an infraction for something that I have not done numerous times. It's all good though.

It's all good here, too. No one is arguing against the rules. The rules make sense, the punishments don't always.

I didn't get an infraction for forgetting Britney's last name, just a warning, which is appropriate, IMO.

Infractions should be given out more sensitively, though. That's how I'd do it: Infractions for repeat offenders and people who insult or discriminate others, warnings for the rest. But obviously, every mod handles that differently. All the infractions I got (two) were all from the same mod and all for petty reasons.

Only if it's true what PB says that mods are frustrated and therefore give out infractions for typos or whatever, than that isn't right.

Off topic: What other famous Britney's are there?

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    What other famous Britney's are there?
    Well there's Brittany Murphy, but a lot of people just wrote "Britney" when starting threads, and it lead to confusion and oddly enough...members getting angry

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    It's all good here, too. No one is arguing against the rules. The rules make sense, the punishments don't always.

I didn't get an infraction for forgetting Britney's last name, just a warning, which is appropriate, IMO.

Infractions should be given out more sensitively, though. That's how I'd do it: Infractions for repeat offenders and people who insult or discriminate others, warnings for the rest. But obviously, every mod handles that differently. All the infractions I got (two) were all from the same mod and all for petty reasons.
    You know, I would love if I could just create 10 little clones that did everything I wanted them to do, but the moderators are people.

Volunteers. I don't agree with every decision, and the problem is you can't please everyone. Plus there isn't the time for a moderator to research a member's entire history at the site before creating a decision. The rules are clearly stated, besides putting it in big red letters at the top of the screen (Which was actually done for a while) there isn't much more that we can do to remind you of them. They're not complex, you just need to read them once.

I can sum them up as such...
    Make things legible
    Use full names to prevent confusion
    Post the source if it's copy and pasted, and you personally didn't write it (Because that's plagiarism!)
    If there's a date, place a date...so we're not looking at photos that are 2 years old thinking they're new

I don't think it's that hard to see maybe a list of 20-30 threads and to see a pattern, to see that the Latest Photos threads are formatted in a way, that the Magazines and Photoshoots threads are formatted in a way.

Without the moderators editing thread titles tH@t L0oK L1kE tHiS, deleting spam, moving things in to the right place...Gossip Rocks would not be the place it is now...it'd probably look something like this ForumFirst • View Forum - Fashion

I understand that the word "infraction" may be harsh, but...nobody can see your infractions except for yourself, people in your life don't know, your parents don't know...it's not that big of an issue.

Well, if it's not that big of an issue then why have them at all?

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Well, if it's not that big of an issue then why have them at all?
    It makes everything look nice and professional, and it's easier to read and scan information

I mean just look at our Latest Photos section

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/latest-photos/

and one of another site

Other Pics - Pictures - theJJB.com - Message Board - Yuku

If you're taking about infractions, it gives us a consistent and easier way to send out messages to members regarding the rules. As we've grown it's become harder and harder to write out a personal PM to every situation, we're also unable to read every single message on the site...so yes sometimes a warning/infraction won't be given out when it should be, simply because the moderators don't have the time to read every single thing that goes on, however if a member does report that post we will treat it accordingly.

Oh, I know, I was just joking.

Again, no one said that the rules didn't make sense. I've been here for two years and broke them four times. Obviously I put an effort into following the rules.

Breaking rules is hawttttt
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have found GR clean,clear and very easy to navigate.

I have made a cpl of booboos since coming here and been lifted once for it by a mod even after reading the rules....rules just sometimes take awhile to stick when coming to a new site.My experience is that certain members become known to the mod staff as in....who to watch and who not to...over zealous mods can cause a melt down and a member evacuation real fast...i would think this place has a mods den...use it people and work as a team.I have been there done that and being a mod can be a thankless task.As always...youth and inexperience can be the problem all round.

Remember "KISS"...Keep it simple stupid...LOL...If things are over complicated...confusion reins supreme.Cheers all and thx for the site...its a cracker...yay!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information