Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hi This is a very strange rule

I don't see how it's extreme if it's what's called for in the rules. The mods have guidelines to follow on what things are worth infractions, and how many points, etc. Although, the rule on it is a little fuzzy:

Posting copyrighted content without permisson.
    ^^ That is the only one that comes close, and is considered a 2nd Degree Violation. I can't actually see anything in the official Rules that specifically addresses sources.

As for the thread being deleted, that's covered in this thread, which has been stickied in the Photo forums since last September.

For legal reasons photo threads not giving the source will be deleted.
    Another reminder to let you all know that you need to credit the source of your pix. Your photo thread will have to await approval until the title format, date and the source are checked by a mod. If these criteria are not met, your thread may be deleted (esp for the lack of source due to legal issues...)
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Hmm, I have no idea why the thread was deleted, I don't have mod abilities in the Photo forums. It could be that it just had to be deleted because we could get spanked for posting someone else's photos without sourcing them. I've seen the Photo mods actually hunt down sources for photos members have posted, though, maybe they just couldn't find it this time.

Sweetie, what happens every time? You get an Alert Bot message that something's been changed? (No snarky tone at all, just wondering.) I end up changing a lot of thread titles to remove superfluous capitals (that's just a stylistic decision we decided to go with), but I've never sent a warning or infraction for it, I just change them as I see them for uniformity. Sometimes, things may be changed for spelling, capitalization, or to make the thread title more descriptive, but it doesn't mean the mods are mad at you for it. We just try to improve things that we notice. A lot of it is just preference.
    Thanks for your reply, and I didn't find the tone to be snarky at all, it is very nice.

It's just everytime I post something I get that stupid Alertbot reply. Either a comma was left out, or a period, or the date wasn't spelled out to read '2007'; just small, simple, stuff that shouldn't need an alertbot notice sent out. I find it to be an extreme waste of time and a real downer when it comes to posting. It makes me not want to post interesting articles and such for fear of infractions. I would think the mods would just want to change these MISTAKES, and let the board keep on going; I would think an interesting board with new topics is far better than a board that's slow and boring because of such stiff posting rules.
    Again, I am not really bitching, I love this site and pretty much all the people on here. It just really shocked me that I got an infraction for honestly FORGETTING to post the source. All the mods had to do was post my thread and ask me to post the source and I would have gladly done that.

I don't see how it's extreme if it's what's called for in the rules. The mods have guidelines to follow on what things are worth infractions, and how many points, etc. Although, the rule on it is a little fuzzy:

^^ That is the only one that comes close, and is considered a 2nd Degree Violation. I can't actually see anything in the official Rules that specifically addresses sources.

As for the thread being deleted, that's covered in this thread, which has been stickied in the Photo forums since last September.
    I can understand all that but people make mistakes, it's not like I INTENTIONALLY left off the source and wasn't willing to post it. Maybe ask me to post it, then if I didn't give me an infraction and delete it. That's just me and the way I see things though, I know people are perfect and may forget things from time to time.

Either way, I won't be posting new threads again so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Thanks for your reply, and I didn't find the tone to be snarky at all, it is very nice.

It's just everytime I post something I get that stupid Alertbot reply. Either a comma was left out, or a period, or the date wasn't spelled out to read '2007'; just small, simple, stuff that shouldn't need an alertbot notice sent out. I would think the mods would just want to change these MISTAKES, and let the board keep on going.
    LOL, that's exactly what we do though! The Alertbot thing is automatic, I've never even seen one of it's messages go out, and actually, I thought we had dropped it because people stopped mentioning it for a while. (Laughing with you, I agree that it's silly, and I didn't realize people were still getting messages when I remove a period!)
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I can see how the mods would worry about legal issues. We have too much fun here to be shut down by someone's overpaid lawyer!

Oh, no, sorry Tom, we weren't talking about you at all. We heart Scientology here... <ducks and covers>
    The Gen X Eurotrash Jetsetters Club:
    A place for internationally minded celebrity haterz to come together in peace and harmony

^^ And we don't think you're gay AT ALL!
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Gold Member

Welcome to the OP. Drink up to less future infractions.

Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

LOL, that's exactly what we do though! The Alertbot thing is automatic, I've never even seen one of it's messages go out, and actually, I thought we had dropped it because people stopped mentioning it for a while. (Laughing with you, I agree that it's silly, and I didn't realize people were still getting messages when I remove a period!)
    Well, alertbot pisses me off because he gave me an infraction for a simple mistake that could have been corrected in seconds.
    on alertbot.

NO, I got an INFRACTION just because I didn't post the source.
    It's stupid. If that keeps up, over something so simple, people will just quit posting interesting stuff all together. I know I have. Shit, it's everytime you post a new thread, everytime. It's not school, it's a gossipboard, it shouldn't have to be PERFECT.

And YES, the thread was not posted, at all. I really worked for probably 10 minutes to get all the pictures posted on there and then it's just deleted all together. How rude.

Here's what I got:

Dear Sweetie,

You have received an infraction at Gossip Rocks Forum.

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=803789

Reason: no source
    -------
    Please give the source of pictures when staring a Latest Photo thread. Thank you!
    -------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

All the best,
    Gossip Rocks Forum

Damn wtf???

I know right, like they can't right click on the picture to see the source.

Oh well. I've learned my lesson.

20 lashes for Sweetie

oh la la. Make them good, Honey.

^^ Loves it!

- Kahlil Gibran

Well, alertbot pisses me off because he gave me an infraction for a simple mistake that could have been corrected in seconds.
    on alertbot.
    Those seconds add up to a lot of time though when people don't think following the rules or correcting mistakes, or checking thread titles etc. before they post them is important.

Everybody DOES make mistakes, but mods are NOT paid for the work they do and when people keep making the same mistakes over and over again, it kind of makes them feel frustrated, speaking from past experience. I suggested the style of only capitalizing names and places and official titles of things because it makes the site easier to search and read. Lots of people don't do it, but I don't believe anybody here has ever reprimanded anybody for it.

I'm sorry you won't post threads any more because of what happened -- I think that's a real shame.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information