Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't fit in...

Bronze Member

Default I don't fit in...

Hi everyone,

Well, I guess I should do this. About me...I don't really like "gossip". So what am I doing here? I have no idea, but I found this forum and thought it was very funny, interesting, and entertaining.

Believe it or not, I don't have a TV, so I don't know anything about what is going on in the world of the celebrities, but I once was somewhat knowledgeable on that subject, much to my disgust now. My priorites changed and I left all that behind. Now, I'm happy to say that the internet is my only source for this stuff, not that I care about "this stuff", but in browsing around the net, I have been accidentally running into some very strange things. Since I don't watch TV, it's been a while since I've even seen any of these "famous" people. I've recently seen so many surprising pictures, and I guess I can't believe what has happened. Many of these people have either aged to the point that I don't recognize them, or they have done something hideous to their faces.

I'm shocked and obviously completely out of touch with what has been going on. Many of the celebs that are popular now are people I'm not even familiar with. And why have all these famous people who were the rage just 10 years ago aged so much faster than me, even with access to the best of everything? It's scary to be looking at my fate, even though for now I guess I'm really fortunate. As for the comments on this board, is it that we really want to be cruel and insulting to them at times, or are we doing it because they seem to hold themselves above us in a very shallow way, so they deserve to be scrutinzed more harshly? So, I thought I'd stick around here and talk about all of this stuff.

I love cats, health & fitness, the outdoors, and more........and I'm a bit of a recluse, which might also explain why I'm here.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: I don't fit in...

Welcome to GR Cherub. Hope you have fun here. Don't worry about not knowing new actors/actresses. Just join in the fun. You would prolly be very surprised to find what Tom Cruise has become, he's totally gone insane!!

As for the comments on this board, is it that we really want to be cruel and insulting to them at times, or are we doing it because they seem to hold themselves above us in a very shallow way, so they deserve to be scrutinzed more harshly? So, I thought I'd stick around here and talk about all of this stuff.
    In discussing and scrutinizing celebs, I think we are ultimately finding that they have flaws just like any other human being (though there are some exceptions where the celeb is just totally out of control etc). That's what I get out of it but a lot of posters here make such witty comments about celebs that it is totally entertaining to read up! You'll have moments of literally laughing out loud and spitting coffee from your nostrils.
    So yea ENJOY!

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Cherub, speaking as someone who's not good at fitting in I have to say that fitting in is highly overrated. Welcome to the board.

Taking ego inflated celebs down a few pegs is good for the soul and frustration levels. Normally I don't give a rats ass about celebs but here they become fodder for humor and targets for zinging.

Welcome cherub

Don't need a TV... I get all my gossip here... and I can assure you it's the best source
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by tiki
    Cherub, is that Carmen Electra in your avitar?
    Nope, definitely not Carmen. I have very vivid blue eyes similar to that, which is why I chose it.

Adriana Lima is my guess.
    morons.org

Hi Cherub! I'm trying to figure out when and why I became so interested in celeb gossip. It's been pretty recent. Catty gossip is a great way to let go of some pent up frustration. Celebrities are right there, in the spotlight, ready for us to scrutinize. Especially when they make very odd, seemingly horrible life choices (TomKat). They are human just like us and yet they have a god-like status, and we jump on anything they do, from walking to the mailbox without makeup, to driving with a baby on thier lap.

Anyway, I think you will fit right in here. You seem introspective and intelligent...I look foward to seeing you post! Welcome!
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Bronze Member

Thanks all! I sure appreciate all the comments.

Barbara, I didn't realize that there was another eye avatar on this board.

Gator, I love the "rat's ass" expression. It's my mom's favorite, so I'm already feeling at home. Yes, "fitting in" is highly overated, so I don't much care. What you had to say about the celebs makes perfect sense to me. So let's go for it.

Moomies, you sure are right. I've already had several sessions of uncontrollably laughing out loud while reading this board. That is why I've decided to stay around.

Now the board has two eyes, we won't miss anything

I'm not THAT much into gossip either , I come here for the other posters
    morons.org

Hi Cherub! Welcome to the board. I hadn't really given it much consideration before, but apart from The Daily Show and BBC drama, I don't watch TV so the internet is my source for this stuff too.

Psychologists say that gossip is good for you. It fosters a sense of community and reinforces social mores. Even though most of us will never meet face to face, we are a kind of community.

Are we harsh on celebrities? Sometimes. Like all other human beings, some are decent and some are not. These people are held up to be idolized. We are constantly assaulted by their airbrushed images. They are referred to as 'role models' and in the case of sports, 'heroes'. We punch a few holes in the facade and reveal the decay within.

And yes, it's kind of fun.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Welcome

I'm not actually into gossip either. I prefer to just look at the pictures. Haha that makes me sound so stupid, but you know what I mean, I'm sure!

I'm not a big gossip person either. I spend most of time in our fantastic, if I do say so myself, Daily Life and Random Talk forums. Those are a lot of fun and keep me very busy usually. I sometimes venture into gossip, but only at night when the board gets slow.

Enjoy it here, and start posting in the million replies thread (in random)! We need all the help we can get!

Welcome!!!

Welcome! You don't need to know anything about celebs to be here... and if you don't know who someone is, www.imdb.com is a very handy resource.

I do believe that is Mary-Kate Olsen's eye in your avatar!

Welcome Cherub! You already fit in! Just be yourself and post away!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information