Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The way we were: Barbra Streisand (1975); Beyoncé (2009)

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Yeah, she can. Crazy as a bedbug and completely self-involved but damn , what a voice.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

I have to confess that I liked Beyonce's rendition. Still, no one does it like Babs.

Gold Member

I'm in the minority, but I thought Beyonce sang the song rather well. It wasn't a bad cover.

If you watched that ceremony, I thought Idina Menzel butchered Babs' "Don't Rain On My Parade."

YouTube - Idina Menzel - Kennedy Center Honors 2008

yeah i feel weird saying this but Beyonce didn't destroy the song as much as i had expected. I've heard worse covers before.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    Barbra is 66 years old Beyonce is only 27 years old when i saw this clip all i can think is "damm Beyonce look old"

27 Bey:

66 Barbra:
    How does Beyonce look old?

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm not a Babs fan but the old bag can sing. Beyonce has a pop star voice, like Madonna. She didn't do a good job but you know everyone is going to compare her to Babs and she's going to come out on the loosing end of the stick.

i can't stand the way beyonce sings. sure, she's got a good voice but what's the point when you're so overly melodramatic about it?
    i don't know what's happened to mainstream singers in the past 15-20 years but ever since whitney, mariah and celine, they all stretch their notes out way too long... it's just all so overdone. and modern r n'b singers are the most guilty of this. it's obnoxious.

also, beyonstage is useless at conveying any actual emotions in her singing. it's all fake.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gold Member

what amazes me is that most of u slam beyonce, but many of you like, say, britney. come on, really... sure, its a matter of taste, blaah-blaah, but B. can sing, thats a fact. I liked her version and she can convey emotions, as far as Im concerned. it all very individual, for example, I dont like Aretha Franklin AT ALL, she does nothing for me, yet she is hailed as THE singer.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^but many of you like, say, britney.

Really? You could have fooled me.

Quote Originally Posted by Perilita View Post
    what amazes me is that most of u slam beyonce, but many of you like, say, britney. come on, really... sure, its a matter of taste, blaah-blaah, but B. can sing, thats a fact. I liked her version and she can convey emotions, as far as Im concerned. it all very individual, for example, I dont like Aretha Franklin AT ALL, she does nothing for me, yet she is hailed as THE singer.
    i don't like britney either. they're all crap. yes, beyonce can sing. but what good is a decent voice if your songs are shit and your performances are overdone and obnoxious? there are people out there that i would consider musical geniuses and who have crap voices compared to beyonce but they can write a decent song, compose music and don't just make saccharin mainstream crap for top 40 radio and mtv. i don't know why people defend beyonstage as if she were the only alternative to britney. there is a whole musical universe out there with, you know, actual musicians and real talent, not manufactured crapola for the masses.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i don't like britney either. they're all crap. yes, beyonce can sing. but what good is a decent voice if your songs are shit and your performances are overdone and obnoxious? there are people out there that i would consider musical geniuses and who have crap voices compared to beyonce but they can write a decent song, compose music and don't just make saccharin mainstream crap for top 40 radio and mtv. i don't know why people defend beyonstage as if she were the only alternative to britney. there is a whole musical universe out there with, you know, actual musicians and real talent, not manufactured crapola for the masses.
    Of course B. isnt the only alternative to Britney, there's always good old Madonna
    But seriuosly now, I am all for different tastes, and it's everybody's own business who they like and dislike, but it's just that this almost unanimous Beyonce-bashing on this board kind of surprises me. If B. is so shit (besides being a crapola-talentless fame-whore) for overdoing, then Christina A. is sooooo much more guilty of that, in my opinion. She doesnt sing, she OVERsings everything, although she has a decent voice, yet noone says it makes her a phony.
    My defending B. , however, has nothing to do with the fact that I believe she is the only one in the "musical universe". I like her voice, her dedication to her profession and her songs, and believe me, it doesnt mean Im a stupid twit with no musical taste whatsoever. I would not listen to B. to think about smth or to enjoy real music etc., but in order to dance and relax - her music is just fine and has a quality of performance to it.

I think Beyonce sang it well, but not TOO well. I bet that Barbara gave her seal of approval to the organizers beforehand that Beyonce could sing her song. Because she knew that Beyonce wouldn't outdo her. I remember reading somewhere years ago that Barbara refused to take the stage with Mariah Carey.

Silver Member

Didn't Gladys Knight do a good version of this song? I hear it more on the radio than the Babs version or did she do it first? Saying that I prefer Bab's version as I love the film. Robert Redford was gorgeous in that.

I must agree I can't stand this habit of prolonging notes or yodelling like most of the current singers. It is obnoxious and it makes everything seem so bland. They are using a technique instead of actually using the unique-ness of their voice which to be honest shows it isn't that unique. If you get what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    Didn't Gladys Knight do a good version of this song? I hear it more on the radio than the Babs version or did she do it first? Saying that I prefer Bab's version as I love the film. Robert Redford was gorgeous in that.

I must agree I can't stand this habit of prolonging notes or yodelling like most of the current singers. It is obnoxious and it makes everything seem so bland. They are using a technique instead of actually using the unique-ness of their voice which to be honest shows it isn't that unique. If you get what I mean?
    I agree. And also the foghorn screaming technique that is used very
    inappropriately like when Whitney Houston blared her way through
    "I Will Always Love You", a lovesong, for godssakes!!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Sorry, Whitney made that song.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information