Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent

fgg

hopefully by someone who likes her for her and not for her new found fame.

I've listened to it and I gotta say her voice is nice but I wonder was everyone so moved because her voice sounded better than she looked?

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I've listened to it and I gotta say her voice is nice but I wonder was everyone so moved because her voice sounded better than she looked?

For me it had more to do with her capacity to sing such a difficult song so effortlessly and her fortitude in the face of adversity that really touched me. She saw and heard them snicker and make faces but didn't care because she knew it was her shot. To stand out there after all that and really put it out there as well as she did IMO is remarkable. Shit most pros get butterflies walking on stage with thousands of adoring fans, I can't imagine doing it with all those people heckling you including the judges. The studio recorded Cry Me A River shows she has range as well. Although as already mentioned, the recording is mixed poorly and places the phrasing lacks. IMO she has a beautiful instrument that is all natural, strong, with pure pitch and tone - a very rare commodity, but certainly not everyone's cup of tea. I applaud her chutzpah and grounded sensibility.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Did you love her little smile right before she started singing? It was so sweet,but like "Here we go!"
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

I love that little snot's look of "yeah right I BET she can sing *eye roll*" Then she starts singing and WOW!

I'm sure glad Susan got her chance and she owned it!

Has love found ‘never been kissed’ singer?
    Offers from men are pouring in to spinster singing sensation Susan Boyle
    By Mike Celizic
    TODAYShow.com contributor
    updated 7:36 a.m. PT, Fri., April 17, 2009

In less than a week, it seems every detail of overnight singing sensation Susan Boyle’s life has been trumpeted by the media with just as much volume as her powerful voice. But there’s one detail she’s not quite willing to part with: her formerly nonexistent love life.

As most of the world now knows, Boyle drew guffaws and catcalls when she took the stage for her “Britain’s Got Talent” audition and confessed that at age 47, she had never even been on a date, much less been kissed.

But since her sensational performance, the British press is reporting, she’s been flooded with offers from men mesmerized by her exquisite pipes. So what about it, TODAY’s Meredith Vieira and Matt Lauer asked her Friday: Does Boyle have a boyfriend?

Boyle smiled broadly, laughed with gusto, and blushed.

“No comment,” she chortled. “No comment.”

A surprise from Down Under
    Boyle spoke with the show’s co-anchors from her humble cottage in Blackburn, Scotland. After a bit of chat, TODAY surprised Boyle by putting her on the air with fellow singer Paul Potts, who was in Australia.

Two years ago, Potts was where Boyle is today. He was an unassuming and shy mobile phone salesman who wowed Simon Cowell and the show’s other judges with his operatic singing. Today, he’s a millionaire superstar who’s sold out concert halls around the globe and is putting out his second album.

Potts gave a rousing endorsement to Boyle’s rendition of “I Dreamed a Dream” from “Les Miserables” last Saturday. By Friday morning, she had racked up more than 20 million clicks on YouTube.

“I think it was an incredible performance,” Potts told Boyle and TODAY’s Meredith Vieira and Matt Lauer from Australia, where he is the featured performer on “Australia’s Got Talent.” The woman who has gone from utter obscurity to international fame literally overnight smiled as she listened to Potts’ praise.

“I really do wish her well. I think she’s got real potential,” Potts went on.

But, Vieira asked, did Potts think Boyle could win the competition, as he did in 2007?

“I definitely think she stands a great chance,” Potts said.

‘You have to keep going’Boyle did not seem fazed by the frenzied hordes of reporters and cameras that have enveloped her since she left Cowell and his fellow judges Piers Morgan and Amanda Holden gaping in delighted disbelief.

Fellow singer Paul Potts praised Susan Boyle via satellite link on TODAY.

Vieira asked her where she found the courage to go ahead with her performance after being greeted by snickers and catcalls when she came on the stage for her public audition and confessed that she’s unemployed, lives alone with her cat and has never had a date or been kissed.

“It must have been in there somewhere,” Boyle said. “I just had the ability to keep going. You have to keep going.”

After she sang the first few notes, the sneers turned to wild applause. Lauer asked what her reaction was to that.

“It was really amazing. I was taken aback,” she said. But she was there to sing, and sing she did. “Again, you keep going and finish the song,” Boyle added.

No makeover
    Her video on YouTube had attracted more than 20 million hits by Friday morning. There are reports that Cowell is already talking a record deal. English bookies have declared her the favorite to win the entire competition. And, newspapers are writing, the humble woman who had a learning disability and was mocked since she was a child is an instant superstar.

“It’s a huge impact on my life. It’s like a roller coaster,” Boyle confessed.

Holden, the “Britain’s Got Talent” judge, told NBC News that the show’s producers have decided not to try to give Boyle a makeover as the show moves from the audition phase to the eliminations.

“I think we’ll keep her as she is right now so she doesn’t have the added pressure of worrying about what she looks like,” Holden said.

Potts said that he and Boyle prove that “the unexpected can come at any time. I’d like to say how well I think Susan is managing how her life over the last couple of days, bearing in mind it’s another six weeks before we get to the live stages. I think she’s handled herself incredibly well.”

He also offered Boyle some advice about what’s yet to come.

“She may well find herself going to places she’s never been to. I’m here in Australia. I find myself going to places I never dreamed of going,” he said. “Susan should try to take each day as it comes.”

© 2009 MSNBC Interactive. Reprints
    URL: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30262844/

MSN Privacy . Legal
    © 2009 MSNBC.com

Ha, people say she is an amazing singer, who cares what she looks like, blah blah, yet the media write about it and have to tell us also that she's never been kissed. Yeah, right, it's just about the 'voice'.

She is a delight. I would certainly attend any concert she gave makeover or not.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

Contrast the super "hot" vapid bimboids who can't sing a damn note but still become megastars purely on their looks and hours of editing, dubbing and mixing. Susan Boyle only needs a microphone. I wish her all the success she's dreamed of and hope that she doesn't fall into the clutches of unscrupulous managers and agents who will see her as a money making opportunity.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    That article above was spot on.
    I totally agree with you, right on the mark.

I have to admit, she has an amazing voice. Perfection.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ[/youtube]
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    That is THE main reason why everyone was so moved and why she became an international phenomenon. Yes her voice is amazing and her performance wonderful, but let's be honest, one of the main things that wowed people was precisely due to the pre-performance buildup and subsequent shock.

When she walked onto stage, you could practically feel the audience ready to jeer, as well as the judges already thinking up one liners to cut her down, SOLELY due to the way she looked. I mean, it's sad but true, you could feel the negative vibe that the audience thought she was some joke. And then when she started to sing, and when everyone all of a sudden realized she had an amazing voice, they were then floored and had a revelation.

That kind of wild emotional mood swing is the biggest reason why Susan really struck a chord with everyone, and why her video spread like wildfire, that human element to it that made it so dramatic. The fact that many seem to lavish her with praise by saying, looks aren't anything and that she has genuine talent that makes her beautiful, shows that her looks played a role into her fame.

The biggest irony of all, though, is that her looks in this case actually HELPED her become the huge sensation that she is now. Face it, if she were some gorgeous singer, yea she would be praised, but I doubt it would have become this sensation. It's that 'ironic' factor of this whole thing that made it that much more powerful.

It's funny how God seems to give all of us something we can use. For some people, it's their looks. For some, it's a great mind. For others, it's their artistic gift. Susan did not receive the gift of superficial beauty, but she has the pipes of a potential wild success story, and from all reports, she IS a beautiful person. Superficial beauty fades (or gets plastic surgery); real beauty from within just gets better.

Not to be a downer or anything, but has anyone realized that Susan hasn't actually won this contest yet?

I'm curious as to how her worldwide fame will now affect whether the judges pick her as the ultimate winner.

Are things 'biased' for her now? I don't know, as I have no idea what the other talents did, but makes you wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I'm curious as to how her worldwide fame will now affect whether the judges pick her as the ultimate winner.
    The public vote for who they want to win. So I think she'll do pretty well.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information