Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "Stairway To Heaven"'s guitar solo voted the best of all time

Bronze Member

Default Re: "Stairway To Heaven"'s guitar solo voted the best of all time

Quote Originally Posted by NawdleZouss
    Well, it makes sense. I thought they were the shit when I started to learn guitar. I still can't play to save my life, but I've managed to garner a bit of technical knowledge.

Most truly great musicians are the ones few people hear of, as I said before. In this case, the best (electric) guitarists I've heard so far include Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Dimebag Darrell, Michael Romeo, Buckethead, Ron Thal. And I'm just talking shredders. There are a lot of good solid guitarists out there who play better than the ones with all the hype behind them. James Hetfield comes to mind. Most underrated prodigy EVER.

Those guys are badass. Tho people seem to be overrating Dime. Cause I never heard people call him the best and crap until he passed.

He was good. But nothing more.

I think Shawn Lane was the best I have ever heard when it comes to shredders.

But the best guitarist I have ever heard is Lenny Breau. With Phil Keaggy pulling up behind him.

That list sucked.

It should have been greatest solos. Which would have im my eyes "All along the Watchtower" at number one.
    Last edited by Afterglow; May 12th, 2006 at 05:15 PM.

Dime can't be overrated, for the simple reason that he owned nearly every contemporary guitarist. Not only was he fast, CLEAN (and I have to stress this, CLEAN-he used some of the loudest active pickups I've ever heard. Any mistake he made would stand out a mile, that's why he never made mistakes. ), he had perfect dynamics and near-perfect phrasing. Oh, and he was wildly innovative.

He has suffered from posthumous media pimpage (though not to the degree of, say, Kurt Cobain), but he still deserves every bit of it. No shredder or riff guitarist I've heard compares. Not even Shawn Lane.
    2 years...

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by NawdleZouss
    Dime can't be overrated,
    Everyone can be.

Cept for Lenny Breau. I don't see how he could be.

for the simple reason that he owned nearly every contemporary guitarist.
    Uhhhh..........I don't think so. He was good. But plenty were superior players. Just not as known as him.

Not only was he fast, CLEAN (and I have to stress this, CLEAN-he used some of the loudest active pickups I've ever heard. Any mistake he made would stand out a mile, that's why he never made mistakes. ), he had perfect dynamics and near-perfect phrasing. Oh, and he was wildly innovative.
    Nobody is perfect.

And exactly what did he inovate? You make him sound like Hendrix.

Dime changed nothing.

He has suffered from posthumous media pimpage (though not to the degree of, say, Kurt Cobain), but he still deserves every bit of it. No shredder or riff guitarist I've heard compares. Not even Shawn Lane.
    Powers of Ten craps on every album Dime has did.

And Lane played on every instrument.

Dude even made a top ten list in keyboard mag for it.

Dime couldn't play a single fuggin track on that album.

Hell, I don't know anyone who has even attempted to.

Dude played at about 930463094 miles per hour. But somehow was able to do it with taste in my eyes. And was cleaner and more percise than Dime.

Hell, Vai is more percise.

But Breau still taps both there asses. And he never was a shredder.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Interestingly, in all my years, I've noticed people fall into the Vai, Malmsteen, etc. category, or Hendrix, Clapton, more old school. Mr. butt and I are split on this. I'm more hendrix, Clapton, Gilmour while he thinks Vai blows everyone away. Many a drunken night has been spent arguing this. Either way, it's great that people still get passionate about REAL music.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Afterglow
    Everyone can be.

Cept for Lenny Breau. I don't see how he could be.

Uhhhh..........I don't think so. He was good. But plenty were superior players. Just not as known as him.

Nobody is perfect.

And exactly what did he inovate? You make him sound like Hendrix.

Dime changed nothing.

Powers of Ten craps on every album Dime has did.

And Lane played on every instrument.

Dude even made a top ten list in keyboard mag for it.

Dime couldn't play a single fuggin track on that album.

Hell, I don't know anyone who has even attempted to.

Dude played at about 930463094 miles per hour. But somehow was able to do it with taste in my eyes. And was cleaner and more percise than Dime.

Hell, Vai is more percise.

But Breau still taps both there asses. And he never was a shredder.
    Most of my post was just me being facetious. There probably are better guitarists than Dime. I just haven't heard any yet. Thing is, everything the man did, from his distortion to his phrasing to his riffs to his squeals, were nothing like any other guitarist has ever created before. Like it or not, that's original. And thus, innovative.

The known guitarist who I've heard play cleaner than Dime is Michael Romeo. And his bridge construction has a lot to do with that. Also, as I mentioned in my previous post, Dimebag's pickups were effing LOUD. Watch any concert of his, the techs had to turn them off between songs as the feedback was just too much. Saying Vai is more precise has to be a joke. Hell, Vai is a joke.

And finally, when did this become a discussion about other instruments? I've no doubt that Allan Holdsworth plays clarinet a thousand times better than Dime, if in fact, Allan Holdsworth played clarinet. But that's not the issue here. And if Hendrix were alive today and still played the way he did, he wouldn't be a blip on the radar. Times change. You can't really compare Hendrix to any virtuoso playing today, there's been a lot of evolution so far.
    2 years...

Omgomgomgomg!!!!

How Could We Forget Duane Allman?!

eta: awww, but i like using all capitals darn it! i cry censorship!!!

Oooh, I totally forgot! I love Duane Allman. I even less-than-three him!
    Last edited by NawdleZouss; May 15th, 2006 at 02:17 PM.
    2 years...

Jimmy Page is one of my favorite guitarist so I'm not complaining, but there are many other solos he has done that were just as good, if not better, than STH. I love STH, but there are things that are better. I can think of a bunch of solos in my head right now that easily tie STH. The first that come to mind are All Along the Watchtower - Jimi, and High Hopes - David Gilmour.

Love Led Zepp, in particular Stairway, but I wouldn't say its the best guitar solo ever. My vote would have to go to BOTH guitar solos in Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd) in particular to the guitarist, the fantastic David Gilmour. But hey thats just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    Love Led Zepp, in particular Stairway, but I wouldn't say its the best guitar solo ever. My vote would have to go to BOTH guitar solos in Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd) in particular to the guitarist, the fantastic David Gilmour. But hey thats just my opinion.
    Comfortably Numb is a close second for me behind High Hopes. Something about that slide-guitar solo gets me every time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information