Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Overrated music artists and bands

Dylan and The Beatles were revolutionaries, how can someone say they are overrated? If this foolery doesn't stop, I will write a musicfesto.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Dylan and The Beatles were revolutionaries, how can someone say they are overrated? If this foolery doesn't stop, I will write a musicfesto.
    and i will quote it for troof.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    and i will quote it for troof.
    And I will re-quote it just to show the importance of the troof!
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    And I will re-quote it just to show the importance of the troof!
    As will I!!!
    Silence may be golden but, duct tape is cheaper.

Elvis Presley. Don't understand the appeal
    Most of today's "Singers": Katy Perry,Taylor Swift,Justine Beeber and the likes
    Bob Dylan
    Kings of Leon
    Justin Timberlake

Wolfmother (maybe just in Oz???), Oasis, Coldplay ...
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

+1, Vouch, This to eleventy. Please continue with your musicfesto.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

agree about kings of leon

oasis - those lame fuckers shouldn't even have had a career outside of open mic night at the pub.

foo fighters

velvet revolver - lamest supergroup evah.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Don't know if they're overrated, but I love the Foo Fighters and their videos are awesome!

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

manu chao
    i will never understand why he got so big. he's this lame, wannabe hippie 'activist' who made millions recycling old songs from his first band and turning them into hits for the bobo generation. fuck him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen84 View Post
    Elvis Presley. Don't understand the appeal
    Most of today's "Singers": Katy Perry,Taylor Swift,Justine Beeber and the likes
    Bob Dylan
    Kings of Leon
    Justin Timberlake
    awaits Chilly's Musicfesto
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    foo fighters
    *kicks Sput*
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

sorry. but it's the troof

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    Hootie sucks too. Living in South Carolina people rave about them, that's all we have going for us. That and Strom Thurmond's dead balls.

............and, sputnik is a hard ass bitch critic! she doesn't seem to like anyone, and since i admire her fashion capabilities so much, i feel somehow influenced by her dismissal of so many popular bands, like "maybe she knows something i don't? [cuz i don't know how to dress, so maybe i don't know how to listen to music either??]" damn, the peer pressure!

Quote Originally Posted by Jen84 View Post
    Elvis Presley.
    Bob Dylan
    ARGGH!

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    awaits Chilly's Musicfesto
    Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    +1, Vouch, This to eleventy. Please continue with your musicfesto.
    Fine. They asked for it. MUSICFESTO:

Music like all art has to be put in perspective. Even if you don't like The Beatles when you hear them on the radio, you can't deny what they have done for contemporary music. The Beatles revolutionized rock by intelletualizing it. They took rock 'n' roll and made it spiritual, psychedlic, poetic and original. They expanded the frontiers of rock and made it accessible for a wide audience. All rock subgenres that came into being in the following decades are based on what The Beatles established in the fucking 1960s. Most pop and rock acts today are in some way or other related to the work of the Beatles.

Bob Dylan took the basic folk of Woodie Guthrie and Robert Johnson and expanded it towards folk rock. He defined the genre for many decades. One achievement is the sophisticated poetic and literary force of his work that has been compared to Dickens and Shakespeare. Another achievement is the social criticism that was the voice of a generation in the 60s and 70s. He was a visionary and a revolutionary. Today, almost 60 years after his legendary mid-1960's trilogy, a vast majority of folk and indie artists are still strongly influenced by Dylan.

I don't like the music of Elvis Presley either, but I would never call him overrated. He took the music that black people were playing in secret backrooms and introduced it to a mass audience, jamming away like a motherfucker - always with his own touch. That was revolutionary in the 1950s. He created a culture of rebellion and made black music acceptable. He turned a subculture into mainstream and changed society as a whole in the process.

I have witnessed similar phenomenoms in my early youth and I know how one revolutionary music act can change you forever. It's true that Nirvana's music is nothing to write home about when you listen to it today. But when Kurt Cobain came onto the scene, there was only cheesy pop music and classic rock in the youth culture. And then, wham, Kurt changed it all. In a materialistic, looks-obsessed society he showed us that it was okay not to fit in, it was okay not to be perfectly styled, it was appropriate to be depressed and hopeless. Grunge soon became it's own parody, but it paved the way for alternative and indie and everything that was not cookie cutter pop and rock trash.

Take techno and house. In the mid 1980s a DJ in Chicago mixed together the first house song and made it available to the public. Before that disco was the only club music. Is Jesse Saunders the best house DJ of all time? No, but he changed everything. The first techno songs by Derrick May, Juan Atkins, and Kevin Saunderson sounded like Atari sound effects mixed with hip hop basslines. Crappy. But only because of that the English and German DJs were able to develop it into a more industrial and powerful sound. Only because of those seemingly unspectacular songs, we have today's sophisticated minimal, tech house, ambient, etc. A global youth culture evolved from it.

Bottom line, when an entire generation worships a particular artist, there is usually a good reason. And I make a clear distinction between artist (Dylan, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Tom Waits, Bowie,...) and product (Spears, Gaga, Madonna,...).

Tommorrow's lesson: Rock appreaciation and rock history (Jack Black).
    -Bugdoll-

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information