Login to remove the ads!
Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Last concert you've been to?

sputnik, I really like Air. I've only heard Talkie Walkie but I'm thinking I should try more of their stuff.

I saw New Model Army yesterday. To be honest, I knew their name but not that many songs and if I hadn't gotten free entrance because the friend I was with knew the organisers I might not have gone. It was a pretty good concert.

Elite Member

Would the Jersey Boys count? I just returned from London and it was the highlight of my trip. I didn't think one way or another about the show prior to going, but now I can't get the music out of my head. Ryan Malloy is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    sputnik, I really like Air. I've only heard Talkie Walkie but I'm thinking I should try more of their stuff.
    talkie walkie's my favourite but i also love pocket symphony and 10 000 Hz legend has some great songs. and after not having listened to it in years, i 'rediscovered' good old moon safari when they re-issued it and it's such a sweet album. and they rocked the shit out of 'kelly watch the stars' and 'sexy boy' the other night which made me feel like i was back in high school.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

philip glass tonight. performing solo piano works - he played, among others, some of the études, some pieces from metamorphoses, mad rush, and played opening/closing from glassworks and a piece from the thin blue line as encores.

just unbelievable.
    Last edited by sputnik; October 11th, 2010 at 02:26 AM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    air, last night. they were really fantastic and it was in a very small venue, this round theatre with a cupola and awesome acoustics.
    awesome playing, great outfits LOL, and their inimitable brand of frenchie gainsbourg-tinged electro-kraut psychedelia. lots of improvising on stage and just excellent musicianship, and a really cool drummer who usually plays with squarepusher.
    Goddammit, you got to see Air?? You bitch! We had Air tickets too and then they canceled the show, citing some bullshit about logistics or visa problems. I was completely looking forward to it and I've been bummed out and bitter about it ever since.

aw, that sucks beeyotch. but i'm sure they'll be back in your neck of the woods before they come back here so i'm sure you'll get to see them!

I went to ACL this past weekend.. The Black Keys were fucking insane... I love the stuff they've released but seeing them live just kind of solidified it for me. I saw Blues Traveler.. they had a 15 year old violin/fiddle player and she was phenomenal. I had seen her a few months ago at the Robert Plant aftershow and she's just phenomenal. The Strokes put on an OK show.. they were 15 minutes late, left 15 minutes early, and Julian looked wasted but the rest of them were amazing. I stuck around and caught some Phish but the rowdy, drunk high school kids had been irritating me all day so I wasn't really as into it. But, nonetheless, it was great to catch the shows I did.

^^^
    did you catch spoon or lcd soundsystem or sonic youth or beach house while you were there?
    i saw the line-up and it made me want to catch a flight to texas...

i'd love to see the black keys live.

Elton John, it was last year I think

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    did you catch spoon or lcd soundsystem or sonic youth or beach house while you were there?
    i saw the line-up and it made me want to catch a flight to texas...

i'd love to see the black keys live.
    Crap, I completely forgot to mention Spoon.. yes, they were amazing. Eleanor Friedberger sang a song with them and they had a trombone band backing them for most of their set. We couldn't really move around between shows because giving up a good spot in the crowd pretty much guaranteed you wouldn't get it back again but we could hear Beach House from the next stage over in-between Black Keys and Spoon.

Sonic Youth and Vampire Weekend were at the same time but Sonic Youth was closer to us so we sat in our spots and listened to them before the Strokes.

The generous, pot-smoking people of Austin made it completely bearable but at the end of the night I was a hot, tired, sober mess. It was really fun, though... I just wish they hadn't made the decision to sell 10k more tickets this year because you could definitely see a difference. There were a LOT more fucked up high school kids there and it made the experience more annoying than enjoyable at times.

ugh, i'm extremely jealous, despite the annoying high school kids.

3 day passes for 2011 go on sale on the 20th. I think the pre-sale is $145 and the regular sale is $185 but it's a good deal. The lineup for next year hasn't come out yet but I don't want to wait for it to come out before I buy like I did last year because I totally missed out on 3 day passes and was only able to get a Friday pass. Annoying drunk people aside, if you stay away from the dark bowels of 6th street/trendy downtown you can find some pretty sweet bars and after-shows during ACL weekend.

tempting... unfortunately with all the weddings i have to travel to in the next year i probably won't have any vacation time left by then (or money, for that matter). maybe i'll get lucky and one of the couples will cancel their wedding

Well, keep it in mind... it got hot as hell and crowded so that my range of motion was limited to only turning my neck, but the music was amazing. It's an awesome city and it can get a little too trendy/metro for me sometimes, but the music scene more than makes up for it... if you know where to stay away from it's bearable and the vibe is completely down to earth and centered around great live music. In the past year I've gone from being relatively indifferent to absolutely loving Austin that is in large part to the music scene.

i've been to austin and i liked it a lot. it's pretty much the only place i would consider living in texas.

Thread Information