Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Fucked up confession about rap music---how it changed and why

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Then you need to try harder!

Actually,I love rap. I am a law abiding citizen.

OK. Sometimes i'm ridin' dirty. Occasionally.
    WHAT!!!!!!? Yep I listen to rap and have never done anything illegal(and got caught) myself
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    My mother's school (a state funded special ed school) had a whole program in the early 90s dedicated to children born addicted. By 1996, the program had over 500 k-5 graders from throughout the state. While it wasn't as wide spread as reported, there were thousands of kids in the city struggling with the after effects of their mothers' addictions.
    Addict's children will always have issues.

But there was a widespread hysteria about crack babies, and a political agenda attached to crack. It was pushed by the Reagan/Bush I administrations.

But as it turned out, long term scienctific study shows that babies are much more affected by alcohol and cigarettes than pre-natal cocaine use. What's wrong with 'crack babies' is more likely caused by crushing poverty and neglect than cocaine. FAS has done, and will continue to do more damage than cocaine ever has. No special ed funding for those kids though.

Of course, part of it is that they can't turn FAS into a racial issue, or find a way to make a profitable 'war on booze' like they did to the 'war on drugs'. There was a nasty racist element to the pushing of the crack myths that doesn't work on say, meth.

The New England Journal of Medicine suggested that prenatal cocaine exposure could cause behavioral and learning problems, a media maelstrom over "crack babies" ensued. A former director of the National Center on Child Abuse called them the "bio-underclass." In 1989, columnist Charles Krauthammer wrote, "Theirs will be a life of certain suffering, of probably deviance, of permanent inferiority."

As it turns out, a slew of more rigorous studies have found no scientific basis for such claims. There is evidence that cocaine use increases the chance of spontaneous miscarriage or a low-birth-weight baby. But any later deficits were caused not by crack but by lack of prenatal care, poverty, and malnutrition. Doctors argue that the stigma of being a crack baby does more damage than the crack exposure.

NRM: Putting the crack baby myth to bed
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; May 14th, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    But as it turned out, long term scienctific study shows that babies are much more affected by alcohol and cigarettes than pre-natal cocaine use.
    You probably already saw it, but there is a pretty harrowing article in The Village Voice about the youth facilty at Riker's Island. At one point, I think they allude to a huge percentage of the inmates being the result of drug-addicted mothers. However, I think the real issue is the neglect in general:

Rikers Violence: Out Of Control - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice

^ I did read that. Every few years they do a Rikers expose piece, but Rikers is still a hellhole.

Addicts can definitely have totally fucked up kids, but much of that comes from the environment that addicts raise the kids in rather than from the drugs in utero. It's a whole vicious cycle.

You're old enough to remember Bush on TV, whipping out that rock the size of a cell phone:

[YOUTUBE]PAQxHDZvo50[/YOUTUBE]
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^ I did read that. Every few years they do a Rikers expose piece, but Rikers is still a hellhole.

Addicts can definitely have totally fucked up kids, but much of that comes from the environment that addicts raise the kids in rather than from the drugs in utero. It's a whole vicious cycle.

You're old enough to remember Bush on TV, whipping out that rock the size of a cell phone:

[YOUTUBE]PAQxHDZvo50[/YOUTUBE]
    Whoah, I think you'd need a pipe the size of a bazooka for that one....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information