Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brain itch songs: worst songs you can't get out of your head

Default Brain itch songs: worst songs you can't get out of your head

Brain Itch Songs - GetBack

Beyonce has finally infiltrated my house. My kids and my wife are all singing "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)." Nonstop. Every day. It's the answer to every question and the response to every statement. It's worse than waterboarding. I'd leave, but I know they'd follow me.

There are songs you wish you could forget but can't. They're like a virus that won't leave your system no matter how hard you try. You're in the shower, and before you can stop yourself "Y.M.C.A." pops out of your mouth. You catch yourself chanting, "Who let the dogs out?" in the car. You respond to a friend's recent troubles with "I get knocked down but get up again."

You try to erase these unwelcome melodies by thinking about something else. Nothing. You sing them ten times really loud and fast, hoping to push them out of your head. No luck. They won't leave you. You're afraid to go out at night. You used to be so much cooler than this.

Go easy on yourself. You're not to blame. There's a name for the affliction, and it's called "brain itch." And the type of song that causes the brain itch? That's an "earworm." Dr James Kellaris of the University of Cincinnati has studied the phenomenon (for real). It seems the combination of repetitive words and unchanging melody makes for the perfect earworm. We're helpless against its power.

Here are the all-time itchiest of the brain-itch tunes. You can rest easy knowing that it's not really you singing that song. It's that earworm dug into your mind, like in the movie "Scanners." At least now no one can blame you when your friends ask what you want for lunch and you say, "I want my baby back, baby back."

THERE'S MORE: See our gallery of all 10 of the worst brain itch songs.

RIGHT SAID FRED: "I'M TOO SEXY"
    The British group's 1992 tribute to fashion models gives a big brain itch. The most offensive part of the song? Copping a Jimi Hendrix riff (from "Third Stone from the Sun") for the instrumental break. Why ruin a perfectly good riff with such a punishing song? Jimi is too sexy for bad '90s dance tunes. Ah....brain itch!!!

CHUMBAWAMBA: "TUBTHUMPING"
    This is probably the most ironic of all brain-itch tunes. The English band is made up of anarchists and punks who would bristle at all of the jocks who have appropriated their song over the years. They even turned down $1.5 million from Nike, who wanted to use the song in an ad. Proof that dudes who write bad tunes can still take the high road.

LOU BEGA: "MAMBO NO. 5"
    This song didn't create a brain itch in 1949 when Perez Prado originally recorded it. However, Bega's 1999 cover version dug in deep. It also made anyone named Angela, Pamela, Sandra, Rita, Monica, Erica, Tina, Mary, and Jessica introduce themselves by another name when sitting at bar near a jukebox.

BAHA MEN: "WHO LET THE DOGS OUT"
    Don't let the fact that this song won a Grammy fool you. It's hands down the most annoying brain itch song EVER! No, scratch that. It's the most annoying SONG ever. And I can't get it out of my head, ESPN be dammed.

HANSON: "MMMBOP"
    Produced by the Dust Brothers (the dudes who brought us some of Beck's, the Beastie Boys', and Tone Loc's best work), this tune from the Tulsa brothers' major label debut was originally written as a ballad. Definitely not the tune to seduce a date.

Henry the Eighth by Herman's Hermits is my nemesis, every time I hear it I'm singing it for DAYS afterward.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

This thread has given me at least a weeks worth of headaches to look forward to. Fuck.

Umbrella ella ella
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Great. Now I've got "Can't get you out of my head" in my head.

that dog song won a fucking grammy!?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Not the worst song, but I have Cold Plays Viva La Vida as my ringtone, so I end up singing it most of the day in my head.

Gold Member

EAR WORMS!!! Hate them! All it takes is something to sound like a line from a song and I'm done for. I'm easily open to suggestion, lol. My friend posted the following as his status on Facebook the other day, "locked you out, you cut a hole in the wall". The rest of the day I'm singing about lining my eyes and playing with knives! I told him he was a bastard and all he said was "My job here is done".

I hate when people have things on their cell phone that are catchy. I had Personal Jesus as my ringtone and that pissed people off, it embarassed the hell out of me when it went off in yoga one night, lol. My friend put Tom Jones as her ringer for awhile. Really? Is that nice? No, especially cause she'd be all caught up in dancing that she'd never answer the damn phone.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

The recent No.1 hit by Lily Allen. Even if I wanted to get that out of my head it's damn near impossible as it comes on the radio at work all day. It's the lyrics that get to me: "I want to be rich and I want lots of money". Well don't we all????????????

I like that song, she's taking the piss out of bimbos ^

Elite Member

Broken Wings gets stuck in my head. As well as Under Pressure for no reason.

my my my poker face my my poker face..... hate that song, and it gets stuck in my head everytime.
    Somebody blow Mel Gibson Already- Michael K

Five...five...five dollar foot longs...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

My son thought is was a hoot and showed me the Youtube video "It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!!" with the dancing banana. Once watched it will invade your brain like a toxin.

Do not click this link!
    YouTube - It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!!

Super Mario Theme! Me and a guy t work...all it takes is one of us to whistle the first 6 notes and that's IT for the day.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZpD0btOZx8[/YOUTUBE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information