Thread: Rock's biggest egos

Default Rock's biggest egos

Rock's Biggest Egos - GetBack

It's time to admit the truth. You will never be a rock star. You care too much about what people think. Yeah, you make outlandish comments from time to time, but you do it under some pseudonym on a comment board to make it easy. You wouldn't go on national TV and say stuff like, "I'm the voice of this generation." That's the difference between your ego and a rock star ego. Your ego has a lowercase "e." People like Kanye West have E-G-O-S.

West claims he's the voice of his generation. He compares himself to Michael Jordan. He bitches loudly and publicly when he doesn't win awards. He's not afraid to use his real name. Whether or not he is his generationís defining voice, itís clear that he definitely has its biggest ego.

But should it be any other way? Of course not. Rock íní roll is not about modesty. It's about being the loudest one in the room. If some stupid stuff gets said along the way, well, that's just the price of admission. Shoot the mouth off first, explain yourself later. Or don't. That's even better. Rock stars don't need to give any explanations.

Here are the five biggest egos in rock history. Why are they the biggest? Because I say so. I don't need to explain myself. I am the blogger of this generation.

The Top Five Biggest Egos:

BONO
    Any dude who can meet with world leaders one weekend and then have two 19-year olds sit on his lap the next has a BIG ego. Bono's life is dedicated to bigness. He sings big anthems, not songs. He's out to save rock íní roll and the world. He's not just a rock star; heís a messiah, at least to himself. And, yes, I'm a little jealous.

JOHN LENNON
    How huge was John Lennon's ego? He said his band was bigger than Jesus. What more proof do you need? Even Kanye hasnít gone that far. By the way, this week the Vatican finally forgave Lennon for his 1966 dis. Those guys can hold a grudge.

NOEL & LIAM GALLAGHER
    Oasis' brothers spent most of the '90s claiming they were the best band in the world and boasting how they saved British rock from ruin. They also spent a lot of time writing songs "inspired" by a lot of other British rock. It takes a big ego to remake Beatles songs and call them your own.

MADONNA
    Madonna's ego is so big she believes that she can actually stop time. The Material Girl is on a never-ending quest to be forever twenty-something. Her bionic limbs are the first step toward immortality. Her insistence on pretending to be the teen pop star of the moment is the second step. The third? It probably will have something to do with her next boy toy.

TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY
    You might not remember this late-'80s nouveau R&B artist. He made a debut album in 1987 that many thought was brilliant, especially him. D'Arby liked it so much he announced that he was going to be bigger than the Beatles. That's why you don't remember him. The Beatles saying they're bigger than Jesus? OK. Emerging R&B star saying he's bigger than the Beatles? Not OK.

Big Egos Honorable Mention:

ROBBIE WILLIAMS
    He named his album The Ego Has Landed. In reality, Williamsí ego ó and career ó has landed everywhere but the U.S., where he remains largely a cult figure.

GENE SIMMONS
    Is there anything Simmons won't slap a KISS logo on?

AXL ROSE
    Two words: Chinese Democracy.

MICHAEL JACKSON
    He dubbed himself "The King of Pop.Ē He made an album called Invincible. Both claims may still ring true in Bahrain, where Jacko recently lived. Go where the ego can stay big.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Sting absolutely has to be on that list.

aw dont badmouth Gene Simmons. i love him and his giant uh, ego!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Eli

Bono is the worst, I think he's lost sight of what's reality and what's Fantasy Land Happy Camp. I mean I've never particularly liked him (although his Simpsons version looked insanely hot), but whenever I see him now he's like telling people what utter pigs they are for not donating their life savings to the poor. Like hello? If we donate all our life savings we WILL be poor. How about we donate it to ourselves and balance everything out, you jerk. I also don't like his boyfriend Sir Bob Ian McKellen or whatever his stupid name is.

And I agree about Gene, he's hot and great and so is his son.

Billy Idol
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Jimmy Page had a pretty ridiculously large ego around '72-'79 when LZ was at its peak. He's calmed down a lot since then, but I've read stories of some of the cruel, heartless shit he would pull because he felt entitled. The music industry generally breeds assholes.

^I've also read about his intimate dealings with groupies and Alsatian dogs...
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

He was a man-cunt to his groupies. Not that they were innocent themselves, but I read that he watched, to his extreme amusement, two of his conquests--Bebe Buell and Lori Maddox (a groupie he began dating when she was 14)--pull each others hair out when they ended up at the same party.

I wouldn't call Kanye a 'rock' artist so now I'm confused. Lennon was just taking the piss when he said that about Jesus as far as I can gather. Madonna, hell, she's got the ego but she was ground-breaking enough to really deserve to have one, proof is she's made herself completely obsolete single-handedly which is pretty amazing but "Like a Virgin" was scandalous as well as many other of her hits. When I first saw the photo I thought it was Gwen Stefani, there is an ego that makes my skin crawl because there's nothing behind it. Poor Terence Trent D'arby...he had a couple of good songs though. Prince should be on there too, for sure, he's like the successful version of D'Arby. Gene Simmons is more calculating than anything, he is very much a business-man and he knows exactly what demographic is his money maker and what they want to hear from him. This is kind of fun to think about because there is sooooo much material to work with for a list like that. Sting...I think he's one of the most over-rated people in the business, really don't care for him. Whitney is another one who seems to be a tremendous diva but she does have the chops to back it up, or at least she used to. P. Diddy, that is one that is inexplicable to me...and so on and so forth.

I guess I'd have to put Prince at number one for this, all things considered. I mean, renaming all those women (vanity, appollonia, carmen electra), assaulting Sinead O'Connor, using text lingo twenty-five years before everyone else did, changing your name to an incomprehensible symbol, wearing buttless britches and heels, the whole movie Purple Rain is a testament to his ego. I saw some bio thing on Carmen Electra and she said he would occasionally come into town when they were together and since she never knew when it would be (she lived at his house) she'd have to always go to sleep in full makeup and hair and be afraid to move and mess it up in case he came home that night and wanted to have sex.

Lennon was totally taking the piss and plus he's been dead over twenty years I think he's been overshadowed. Add Chris Cornell to that list. Scott Weiland. Chris Martin (not really rock but neither is Kayne).

John Lennon was, by all accounts, a bit of a prick, but I think that his 'bigger than Jesus' quote was one of recent history's most famous misquotes. It was more a comment on how society had MADE them bigger than Jesus, and how absurd that was...

Thread Information