Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairytale Of New York censored

Default Fairytale Of New York censored

The mother of late singer Kirsty MacColl has branded Radio 1 "pathetic" for banning the word "faggot" from her hit Fairytale Of New York.

Shane MacGowan & Kirsty MacColl

The words appear in a verse where she and co-singer Shane MacGowan insult each other.
    "You're a bum, you're a punk, you're an old slut on junk, lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed," he says.
    "You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot, Happy Christmas your arse, I pray God it's our last," she replies.
    MacColl's duet with the Pogues star is heading up the charts again this Christmas.
    But Radio 1 has decided to bleep out the word "faggot" because it might offend listeners - sparking outrage from MacColl's mother, Jean.
    She told BBC Radio 5 Live Breakfast the move was "pathetic" because the language reflected the characters it describes.
    "Today we have a lot of gratuitous vulgarity from people all over, which I think is quite unnecessary. But these are characters and they speak like that," she said.
    "It's like a play and it's very amusing and sad, and it's a great song."
    Founder of gay rights group OutRage Peter Tatchell told Sky News online that it was all a "bit of a storm in a teacup".
    "Obviously the song was not intended as a major hate campaign against the gay community," he said.
    But Mr Tatchell pointed out that the BBC would have bleeped out a racial insult and so had taken the right decision.
    Fairytale Of New York has been covered by more than 10 different bands since it first hit top spot in Ireland in 1987.
    In 2000, Ronan Keating and Maire Brennan caused controversy when they changed the sentence "you cheap lousy faggot" to "you're cheap and you're haggard" in their cover version.
    MacColl died at the age of 41 the same year when she was hit by a speedboat while diving during a holiday in Mexico.

Radio 1 Censors Pogues And Kirsty MacColl Christmas Song |Sky News|Media

How bloody stupid is that; i love this song!!

I love the Pogues
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

..But that's the all time greatest Christmas carol! Sacrilege!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Silver Member SophieOrangeBerry's Avatar

PC gone wrong again.

Bloody hell, people are so over sensitive.
    Darling... Stop confusing me with your wishful thinking....
    Bang goes another kanga on the bonnet of the van...
    Too soon to be out of me bed

right, when it's appropriate to have people yelling kike, nigger and all the rest over the airwaves then they can put faggot up there too.

not before.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It's been reversed now, I love this song.

Radio 1 has reversed its decision to bleep out the word "faggot" from Christmas favourite Fairytale Of New York, despite claiming it could be offensive to gay listeners.

Station bosses initially took the decision to bleep out the term from the hit Pogues song, which has been re-released for the festive period.
    Censors also decided to edit out the word 'slut', but deemed the word 'arse' okay to air.
    But controller Andy Parfitt did a u-turn tonight, claiming the song, a duet between Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan and late singer Kirsty MacColl, did not use the word with any "negative intent".

Scroll down for more...
    The Pogues Christmas classic, sung by Shane MacGowan and Kirsty MacColl, has been censored by BBC chiefs because it contains the word 'faggot' and the corporation fears it will upset homosexuals.

Read more...
    The word 'faggot' has been bleeped out of the song Fairytale of New York by the Pogues

He said: "After careful consideration, I have decided that the decision to edit the Pogues song Fairytale of New York was wrong.
    "Radio 1 does not play homophobic lyrics or condone bullying of any kind. It is not always easy to get this right, mindful of our responsibility to our young audience.
    "The unedited version will be played from now on.
    "I want to stress that everyone at Radio 1 and its music team take the issue of language very seriously and enormous care is taken in ensuring that offensive language is edited from records where necessary.
    "I understand absolutely, in a climate where questions about editorial standards are at the fore, the thinking behind this decision.
    "While we would never condone prejudice of any kind, we know our audiences are smart enough to distinguish between maliciousness and creative freedom.
    "In the context of this song, I do not feel that there is any negative intent behind the use of the words, hence the reversal of the decision."
    The decision to edit the song, which is challenging for the Christmas number one spot, baffled listeners because Radio 1 has played it uncensored since its release 20 years ago.
    The ballad, which is famous for it's outrageous lyrics, was recently voted the best Xmas song ever in a VH1 poll.
    The controversial line reads: "You're a bum/You're a punk/You're an old slut on junk/Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed.
    "You scumbag, you maggot/You cheap lousy faggot/Happy Christmas your arse/I pray God it's our last."
    The song tells the story of a junkie couple reminiscing on Christmas Eve about youthful ambitions which never materialised.
    Radio 1 originally bleeped out the words claiming members of its audience could find it offensive.
    But other BBC stations, including Radio 2, continued to play the uncensored version.
    Earlier today, MacColl's mother Jean hit out at Radio 1's decision.
    "I think it's pathetic, I really do," she told BBC Radio 5 Live Breakfast.
    "It's absolute nonsense. Really, this is too ridiculous. Shane has written the most beautiful song and these characters live, they really live, and you have such sympathy for them.
    "These are a couple of characters who are not in the first flush of youth, I wouldn't have thought. They are what they are, this is the way they speak.
    "Today we have a lot of gratuitous vulgarity and effing and whatever from people all over, which I think is quite unnecessary. But these are characters and they speak like that.
    "It's like a play and it's very amusing and sad, and it's a great song."

Fairytale Of New York was first released in 1987 and reached number two in the charts. Fans, led by Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles, are campaigning for it to reach number one this year.
    A spokesman for the Pogues, who first formed in 1982 and reunited in 2001 after a five-year break, said they "found it amusing that a song that has been one of the best-loved Christmas tunes should suddenly have been deemed offensive".
    MacColl died in 2000, aged 41, when she was hit by a speedboat while diving during a holiday in Mexico.
    Liberal Democrat culture spokesman Don Foster also criticised Radio 1 for censoring the song, saying: "The idea that people will suddenly be offended by these lyrics, in the context they're in, after 20 years seems ludicrous.
    "Their decision today raises serious questions about how far political correctness should be allowed to stifle creativity and artistic freedom. "The radio station is clearly being over-zealous and over-sensitive as a result of their failure to act on previous far more serious incidents."

BBC backdown over decision to bleep Pogues classic Christmas song which is 'offensive to gays' | the Daily Mail

What a bunch of kife.

Thank Dog I own the original version.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

What does kife mean?

Eli

I wouldn't want HIM freshenin' my drinks guvnah.
    Seriously, is that a real person or a CGI monster from the next Harry Potter movie?

That's an old picture, Allie. Shane has far fewer teeth now and doesn't look nearly as healthy.

Apparently the vomit on his suit is several days old.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Silver Member SophieOrangeBerry's Avatar

^ aww, crazy poor sod. he kinda looks like Gollom there.
    Darling... Stop confusing me with your wishful thinking....
    Bang goes another kanga on the bonnet of the van...
    Too soon to be out of me bed

He kinda looks like one of them Rage infected zombies from 28 Days Later, but like.. in a wheelchair.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I'm afraid of Shane MacGowan's teeth. I must say, I love this song and am pleased they have decided to leave it as it is, as there is no offense meant at all in the lyrics.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I saw the Pogues on St Patricks Day about 2 years ago in NY......He may be a mess, but they really put on a great show
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    That's an old picture, Allie. Shane has far fewer teeth now and doesn't look nearly as healthy.

Apparently the vomit on his suit is several days old.

I'm scared! He really is apalling to look at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information