Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memories connected with songs from your past

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Memories connected with songs from your past

Greysfang's "Favorites Beatles songs" thread made me think of this.

What songs have strong memories for you? I posted my Hey Jude memories in that thread. I'm sure there are some others... one is Just The Two Of Us by Grover Washington Jr. from when I first got married... very bittersweet...
    Last edited by Mira; December 3rd, 2007 at 12:17 AM. Reason: OOPS :o sorry

"Lay Lady Lay" oh yesss.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Killing me softly (the original) it was in a tape of my dad's and I could sing the whole thing phonetically (I hardly spoke a word of English at the time)

Purple Rain was the first song I slow danced so... erm... yeah, I'd say it was a bittersweet memory.

Soldier of Fortune was the favourite song of a guy I liked and I really liked the guy and he didn't like me so the song still almost makes me cry.

And Metallica's The Black Album and Nirvana's Nevermind bring me back to my highschool years. In Utero too. I can still listen to Metallica but it's impossible for me to listen to Nirvana anymore and most "grunge" songs.

There was a time were I absolutely obsessively listened to November Rain by Guns 'n Roses before I went to school.

That's about it. I'm sure there are others.

the first that comes to mind is white rabbit (jefferson airplane), the song and really that whole album cause it was playing on the stereo when i lost my virginity.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Wow, Sputnik, I just love White Rabbit, awesome taste, whoever was playing it. Hope the sex wasn't bad either

I've connected Monster Magnet's Space Lord with a night out with the boyfriend when we talked about certain things that were good for me to hear. And I just love that song, period.

And also, Tupelo by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds reminds me of seeing it live and it was such an amazing performance that even now my pulse quickens when I hear it.

^^^^
    well it was first-time sex so hardly stellar, but not horrible either. but i guess the music was better than the sex!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The soundtracks to my childhood were Simon and Garfunkel and Abba.

i grew up listening to all my dad's music - the who, led zeppelin, the beatles, rolling stones, hendrix, the doors, focus (some weird 70s dutch prog rock band with a flute), simon and garfunkel, lots of brazilian music (vinicius de moraes, joao gilberto, jorge ben, etc), and billy joel. lots of jazz and blues too.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^Wow. Cool dad. I grew up listening to Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, etc. and hated it, but now it brings back really good memories, and I love that music. Swing dancing is very popular here right now.

When I hear Time In A Bottle by Jim Croce it still makes me tear up, because that song came out right as my bf died in a car crash. I also can't listen to Rocky Mountain High by John Denver without thinking of same bf, because we had just gone to see John Denver at the Greek in L.A. right before he (my bf) died.

'Comfortable' by John Mayer

A lot of Tracy Chapman, Eric Clapton songs and the like remind me of my parents marriage break up.
    ssabmud

Ventura Highway. It remind me of riding around dropping everyone else off at school in the big blue Chrysler and then going home with my grandmother, snuggling up to watch Bob Barker, and having her to myself all day.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I ve got a cassette in the car,the memories cassette.
    On long lonely rides,it brings it all back.
    Strange,but i can smell certain things then..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Any George Jones song remind me of my Daddy. He wasn't home much when I was little (he worked out of state) but when he was home every other month I was his little angel, he would spend every mintue with me. I can remember listening to George Jones with my feet on top of his and him dancing around with me.

He's such a good father!

Oh god, I could fill pages with this. Music is a part of every memory, every phase of my life, every milestone.

But to keep it short, the first that comes to mind is "Time of The Season" by the Zombies. Reminds me of my first 'french' kissing session. Lol. On a school spelunking trip (summer after 8th grade), one of the nights I snuck out of my tent with a boy. We were in the woods, under the stars. The music wasn't playing out loud during the kissing, only in my head, for I had just been listening to it on my headphones in my tent. The song, and the sweet exhilarating memory of the kiss, stayed with me for WEEKS. Ah, sweet innocent childhood...

eta: it kinda freaks me out to think that I was JUST getting my first real kiss at an age when many girls nowadays are getting knocked up...what is the world COMING to? Or was I just really sheltered?
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Anything by Sam Cooke always reminds me of mom. I can see her just the way she was: young, pretty, and dancing around the living room, singing all those happy and sad soulful songs. I'm convinced that my lifelong love of music is rooted in those moments: the old dances she taught us from when she was a girl, the goofy alternate lyrics my brothers would come up with, the (really bad) dance routines my sister and I would perform. It was like, all we needed was a record player and a few good albums to have ourselves a damn good time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information