Thread: Prince gives away his new album Planet Earth for free in the UK

Smile Prince gives away his new album Planet Earth for free in the UK

Prince angers retailers by giving album away free

07/14/2007 6:20 PM, Reuters
    Paul Majendie

Rock star Prince gave his latest album away free on Sunday with a British tabloid, to the fury of music retailers.
    The Minneapolis maverick, renowned for his run-ins with the music establishment, will also give away copies of "Planet Earth" at a series of London concerts starting next month.
    Paul Quirk, co-chairman of the Entertainment Retailers Association, said Prince's decision to give away the album, which is not scheduled to go on sale until July 24, with copies of the Mail on Sunday "beggared belief."
    "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince should know that with behavior like this he will soon be the Artist Formerly Available in Record Stores," said Quirk in reference to the 1990s when the star stopped using his name.
    "It's an insult to all those record stores who have supported Prince throughout his career," he said.
    The innovative funk artist, who has sold 80 million albums worldwide with ground-breaking works like "Purple Rain," is unrepentant.
    "It's direct marketing and I don't have to be in the speculation business of the record industry which is going through a lot of tumultuous times right now," he said when asked why he was giving his music away.
    A spokesman for the singer told The Mail on Sunday: "Prince's only aim is to get music direct to those who want to hear it."
    "Prince feels that charts are just music industry constructions and have little or no relevance to fans or even artists today."
    In an interview with Reuters last month, Mail on Sunday managing director Stephen Miron said: "No one has ever done this before. We have given away CDs and DVDs but this is just setting a new level."
    British retailer HMV clearly felt it was case of "If you can't beat them, join them" -- it is offering The Mail on Sunday for sale at its stores.
    The News of The World, one of the Mail on Sunday's arch rivals in the competitive tabloid market, was not to be outdone.
    In what it billed as a world exclusive, the newspaper offered to give away 1,000 copies of "Purple Rain" in a mobile phone text competition.
    (Additional reporting by Gavin Haycock and Mike Collett-White)
    Prince News on Yahoo! Music

and its quite good too!
    Free Charmed.

Got mine today but haven't listened to it yet

I love him. I wish we could have gotten it here.
    I can't say enough of him. Really.

Bronze Member

As a UK record shop employee and a long-time Prince fan I've got mixed feelings about his decision to distribute his new CD this way. On the one hand it's fair enough, he can sell his album to his audience anyway he wants. (Don't kid yourself it's free though, it's just cheap. And when it comes to buying a hate-fueled reactionary rag like The Mail you best believe that's 'cheap' as in 'cheap and nasty'.)

On the other hand it's a kick in the teeth to us who have been mediating between him and his audience all these years. Exactly where does he think all of his loyal fanbase bought his records all these years? Bricks 'n' mortar record shops are in big trouble these days and it seems very unfair as without us a lot of these artists could never have shipped all those units and wouldn't have the comfortable careers they enjoy. It seems like a case of "thanks for all your support, now f*ck off and die."

My shop's still selling Prince - I work at the big UK retailer who controversially sold the Mail yesterday - but I don't blame those who have decided never to stock one of his CDs again. It's a betrayal, frankly.

Isn't he releasing it normally next week? I thought that it was just something to do with his UK record company that meant it wasn't going to be "sold" here?
    Free Charmed.

Yeah, i thought it was a bit odd... the only reason he HAS a career is because of the 'system' getting his music out there.. now that he's rich enough, he doesn't have to care.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I actually bought the Mail to get this CD and it's pretty good...but then I do like Prince. He's amazing in concert and I recommend everyone see him once if possible. Truly an incredible performer.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

My mother took me... years ago.... wow, actually I think it was 98???? maybe before that! Manchester Trafford Park!!! Yeah I got to stand on the football pitch! It was packed & he was awesome! But it's a l-o-n-g drive to London & he's not playing anywhere else locally is he? So it won't be this year
    Free Charmed.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Glad you saw him though! Prince is amazing. He may not be a hitmaker these days but damn, what a performer!
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

yeah, but you wanna be a "hitmaker" (I'm thinking Bullshit Spears & her "voice" that sounds different on every record) or a musician?
    I'd go for musician every time..... but that's just me (because I am one).
    Free Charmed.

Thread Information