Thread: Princes William, Harry honor the late Princess Diana with concert

Default Princes William, Harry honor the late Princess Diana with concert

Waving their arms in the air with 70,000 fans at Wembley Stadium, princes William and Harry celebrated the life of their mother, Princess Diana, on what would have been her 46th birthday Sunday at a concert they organized.

William, 25, rocked his hips as Canadian pop star Nelly Furtado belted out her song "Man Eater" — to the embarrassment of younger brother Harry, who shook his head and laughed.

Harry, 22, said they asked Elton John to play "Candle in the Wind," the song he sang at Diana's 1997 funeral in Westminster Abbey. Originally about Marilyn Monroe, its lyrics were reworked in tribute to Diana and it became a worldwide No. 1 hit that same year.

"This evening is about all that my mother loved in life: her music, her dance, her charities and her family and friends," William told the crowd, thanking them and millions more who watched the show on television.

Security for the event was increased after the discovery of two unexploded car bombs in central London on Friday and an attack on Glasgow airport on Saturday where a Jeep Cherokee slammed into the main terminal and burst into flames. At least 450 officers patrolled the concert.

The memorial concert mixed rock, pop, hip hop and classical ballet and featured some of Diana's favorite acts including Duran Duran and Tom Jones. In honor of her love of dance and theater, there was a performance of an extract from "Swan Lake" by the English National Ballet and songs by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Younger artists such as Kanye West, Joss Stone and Lily Allen also performed.

William's former girlfriend Kate Middleton attended the concert, further fueling rumors that the couple, who announced their split in April, have reconciled.

Diana died Aug. 31, 1997, along with her boyfriend Dodi Fayed and their driver when their Mercedes crashed inside the Pont d'Alma tunnel with media photographers in hot pursuit.

The princes have said that the memorial concert was intended as a celebration of their mother's life.

Weeks of soggy weather lifted as the sun peeked out from behind gray clouds rolling over the newly built glass-and-steel stadium — Britain's largest — which usually hosts soccer games.

"This is not an exercise in nostalgia, this is a party!" director and actor Dennis Hopper said, introducing Allen, the British singing star who performed a cheery rendition of her chart-topper "Smile."

The crowd cheered as John played the piano and sang "Your Song" — and they were on their feet as the princes introduced Duran Duran.

"Pray for sun!" lead singer Simon LeBon told the crowd as the band broke into "Sunrise," followed by "Rio," which they dedicated to the late princess.

Harry added a special message for his army unit, currently serving in Iraq.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to say hi to all the guys in A Squadron of the Household Cavalry, who are serving out in Iraq at the moment," he said. "I wish I was there with you. I'm sorry I can't be. But to all of those on operations at the moment, we'd both like to say stay safe."

Harry, a second lieutenant in the regiment, was banned from going to Iraq for security reasons.

A family of fans from Portsmouth in southern England said they had come to sample the wide variety of acts all playing under the same roof — but Diana was also in their minds.

"I was devastated," Karen Moore, 50, a restaurateur, said of her death.

Diana is remembered for her glamour, her extensive charity work and her tempestuous marriage to Prince Charles, heir to the British throne. The pair married in 1981 in a ceremony watched by millions around the world, but divorced in 1996 after admissions of adultery on both sides.

William said the concert was a chance for people to "remember all the good things about her because she's not here to defend herself when she gets criticized."

Tickets for the concert cost $90 with proceeds going to causes Diana supported.

A memorial service is also planned in London on Aug. 31, the anniversary of Diana's death.

British princes honor Diana with concert - Yahoo! News

We're in Europe so we've just seen it. I thought Rod Stewart was the best, and I'm not even a real fan. Take That were only half live, but immensely popular in the UK apparently. Too bad there was only a few notes for Donny Osmond in the musical medley. The princes had fun (God, William is getting so bald! and looks so much like a blond Charles, poor lad!).
    I wasn't too thrilled with the rap stuff and the young bands, but that's probably just my age. It was, however, very noticable that the oldies were the ones that got both the younger as older audience on their feet.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

i watched the entire thing. i HATED kanye. for the most part the concert was great. there was some stuff i didnt get, like the comedian at the end before Elton, and 'Take That'. never heard of them. i agree with you about Rod. and OMG Andrea Bocelli was awesome!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I thought it was just great!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I enjoyed Elton and Rod best - they've still got it!

I cringed when Fergie - what the hell was she doing there, anyway? - dedicated some ridiculous, breathy song called "Big Girls Don't Cry" to the Princess. She seemed to get only polite applause afterwards.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I'm so sad for Sarah Brightman. She used to have the most pure, angelic voice and now sounds like an old vibrator.

Andrea Bocelli was as rubbish as always. Tenor wannabe.

uh, it all sounds like one huge cringe-worthy cheese-fest to me, what with the huge diana portraits and everything. but then i'm a cynical bitch and i hate all these tribute things.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by NHKMM View Post
    I'm so sad for Sarah Brightman. She used to have the most pure, angelic voice and now sounds like an old vibrator.
    OMG, that's the friggin' funniest thing I've ever heard!

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I so enjoyed the Duran Duran bit. Love John, but he's looking old. Simon looks fantastic, still.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Yeah, John did look really old. Take That were never big here in the States but I am aware they were absolutely massive in the UK and Europe. I saw some of their videos when we went home to see Lord Brit's family in May. After the concert, I was a bit more intrigued with their new album and had a friend in the UK send it to me. It is really great.

I also loved Elton and Rod Stewart. I thought Rod really did a good job of getting the crowd going. I think Duran Duran would have done better being later in the show.There were still loads of empty seats when they played earlier in the day. I don't like P Diddy and am not sure what i think about his performance. Fergie totally lip-synched part of "Glamorous." I enjoyed the little shots of the young royals in the box. I got tickled at Harry when TT were performing and everyone was linking arms and he wouldn't link arms with William. You could see him "mouthing" at William about it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    OMG, that's the friggin' funniest thing I've ever heard!

hahahahaha

But unfortunately it's true, she completely messed up her once GORGEOUS voice. Amazing what incorrect technique and bad habits can cause. You can just HEAR the deteriorating in her voice as time went by, since her Musicals/Andrew Lloyd Webber era was finished around 1990-1991.

1986 - YouTube - all i ask of you - what a gorgeous tone she used to have!
    1997 - YouTube - Sarah Brightman Michael Ball-All I Ask Of You
    2007 - YouTube - Josh Groban & Sarah Brightman: All I Ask of You

Thread Information