Thread: Where has all the music gone?

Eli

Default Where has all the music gone?

Am I the only one who hasn't really heard that much good music lately? I thought 2006 was just awful music wise. This year's been a bit better- it seems artists are actually doing stuff for once, but... Yeah, everything's either "sexy sluttiness" with radio hits in mind, or songs that nearly get there but don't quite make it memorable.
    Am I alone in thinking this!? I hope it's not just me, because that would mean I'm going insane. And I've always been told I have a good ear for music.

I really like Dani California and Afterglow.

I really don't listen to the radio anymore. Music hasn't been great for the past couple of years, so I listen to my Itunes.

Same here. I download my own music, and sad to say, most of my faves are oldies from the 80s and 90s. Today's music is so lame I'm almost glad I'm not a kiddie. The only current artist I like nowadays is Amy Winehouse, but she's very retro.

The traditional sources of new music are dead, but there is still lots of great new music to be had, if you know where to look!!

Back in the day, bands were broken on the radio. Then came the era of PAYOLA and new music was determined by who could play the most to have their artists song played every hour on the hour. Commercial radio as a music source is dead.

Then there was the glory days of music videos! Whole channels devoted to nothing but music all day long. It was pretty awesome in it's heyday. It's sad to see what they have devolved to nowadays: reality shows and reruns. You would be hard pressed to even find a music video on those channels during prime time.

So, the question remains, where has all the music gone? The answer is right in front of you: the internet. And the options are staggering! Every possible taste, style, and mood are all out there waiting for curious ears to discover. It's just a matter of finding the sources that appeal to you.

Personally, I have bought more albums by a wider array of artists since I started using the internet to find new artists than I ever did in the past. Some of my favorite sources are listed below.

ChartAttack.com -- Your Canadian Music Source - Weekly charts by genre including indie, metal, jazz, electronic. There is always something new to discover, plus great music articles and album reviews.

MySpace - Curious to hear what a new artists sounds like? Try their website or look them up on Myspace. Most bands post songs or clips so people can listen and decide for themselves if they like it or not.

CBC Radio 3: Breaking New Sound - My favourite podcast; with a new hour-long show every week featuring hot new bands. Plus you can listen to the songs again on the website, make your own playlists, or listen to playlists that other people made. This site appeals to my particular musical taste, but this is only ONE out of THOUSANDS (maybe even millions!!) of podcasts.

I hope this tiny list has given ppl some ideas on where to look for new music. Even if you are devoted to older music, there are sources online for you to discover stuff you might have overlooked in its time, or that you have forgotten about. The internet is a godsend for music lovers and everything you love is out there waiting for you! Happy music hunting!

Elite Member

I dont listen to commerical radio. I tend to listen to a radio station called Tripl J triple j radio because they play a variety of things. other then that I tend to stumble across things, bands. Also a lot of the indie music blogs display some awsome music.
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

I could go on and on with this topic..and it is so funny to hear the '90's' music referred to as 'oldies' lol. I am so OLD!!!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Lemme quote from an old Kylie Minogue song

"When you can't find the music
    To get down and boogie
    All you can do is
    Step back in time"
    KYLIE MINOGUE LYRICS - Step Back In Time

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

commercial radio does suck. I agree.

Thread Information