Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lofty Bike
  • 1 Post By yanna

Thread: Are you a psychopath? Let's judge your playlist to find out!

Default Are you a psychopath? Let's judge your playlist to find out!

Playlist of the Lambs: psychopaths may have distinct musical preferences

Those with highest psychopath scores were among the greatest fans of Blackstreet hit No Diggity, with Eminem’s Lose Yourself also rated highly

Contrary to the preference for classical music displayed by killer Hannibal Lecter in The Silence Of The Lambs, psychopaths are more likely to enjoy rap.

Ian Sample Science editor

Tuesday 26 September 2017 10.17 BSTFirst published on Tuesday 26 September 2017 06.30 BST

Contrary to the movie trope epitomised by Alex in A Clockwork Orange and Hannibal Lecter in the Silence of the Lambs, psychopaths are no fonder of classical music than anyone else, though they do appear to have other musical preferences, psychologists say.
    In a study of 200 people who listened to 260 songs, those with the highest psychopath scores were among the greatest fans of the Blackstreet number one hit No Diggity, with Eminem’s Lose Yourself rated highly too.

The New York University team behind the work stress that the results are preliminary and unpublished, but the scientists are sufficiently intrigued to launch a major study in which thousands of people across the psychopathy spectrum will be quizzed on their musical tastes.

Tests on a second group of volunteers suggest the songs could help to predict the disorder. Whatever their other personality traits might be, fans of The Knack’s My Sharona and Sia’s Titanium were among the least psychopathic, the study found.

The researchers have a serious goal in mind: if psychopaths have distinct and robust preferences for songs, their playlists could be used to identify them.

“The media portrays psychopaths as axe murderers and serial killers, but the reality is they are not obvious; they are not like The Joker in Batman. They might be working right next to you, and they blend in. They are like psychological dark matter,” said Pascal Wallisch who led the research.

About 1% of the general population meets the description of a psychopath, but the figure is far higher in prisons, where about one in five has the disorder. One estimate, from Kent Kiehl, a psychologist at the University of New Mexico, suggests that psychopaths cost the US government alone $460bn (£340bn) a year.
    “You don’t want to have these people in positions where they can cause a lot of harm,” said Wallisch. “We need a tool to identify them without their cooperation or consent.”

Scientists have already found gene variants that are more common in psychopaths, but they are hardly predictive of the disorder. They appear to alter people’s tendencies for empathy and aggression, but they do not determine people’s actions. Brain scans highlight distinct signs too, as the neuroscientist James Fallon discovered when he spotted the patterns of a psychopath in his own brain’s anatomy, but again, these do not set a person’s behaviour. Even if they did, the police cannot search for dangerous individuals by hauling people into brain scanners.
    Wallisch recruited volunteers for a study on musical tastes, but realised that many of the participants had separately sat a battery of psychological tests, including one called the Levenson Self-Report Psychopathy Scale, which ranks people’s psychopathic traits. By combining the volunteers’ answers from the music study with their results from the psychopath test, Wallisch identified songs that seemed to be most popular among psychopaths, and others favoured by non-psychopaths.

While No Diggity and Lose Yourself were strikingly popular with psychopaths, other songs had greater predictive power. Wallisch declined to name them out of concern that doing so might compromise any future screening test.
    The larger study will now investigate whether the link between musical tastes and psychopathy is real, and if it is, whether groups of songs can predict potential psychopaths. That could lead to some controversial applications, Wallisch said. If the team can identify a group of 30 songs, for example, that together prove good at predicting psychopaths, then playlists from online music providers could be used to identify them.

“The beauty of this idea is you can use it as a screening test without consent, cooperation or maybe even the knowledge of the people involved,” Wallisch said. “The ethics of this are very hairy, but so is having a psychopath as a boss, and so is having a psychopath in any position of power.” Fortunately for ethicists, the possibility is some way off yet. “This work is very preliminary,” Wallisch added. “This is not the end of an investigation, it is the very beginning.”

Kevin Dutton, a psychologist at Oxford, and the author of The Wisdom of Psychopaths, has been gathering data on musical tastes and other preferences for a psychopath study with Channel 4. More than three million people have responded so far, and while online surveys have serious weaknesses, the results so far suggest psychopaths favour rap music over classical and jazz. They also seem more likely to read the Financial Times than other newspapers.
    Regardless of its accuracy, Dutton suspects movie directors like the idea of classical music-loving psychopaths because of the “irresistibly alluring” juxtaposition. “The coming together of the dark, visceral, primeval psychopathic mind and the higher aesthetic of classical composition is inherently incongruous, and there is a whole body of literature on the creative potential of incongruity,” he said. “It is the hypnotically captivating and age-old appeal of the ‘beauty and the beast’, only under the same cortical roof.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ic-study-shows
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

My current playlist only has one "rap" song, Ultralight Beam by Kanye West. Maybe listening to Kanye is a sign/cause of insanity, but I fucking love that song.

But I also have Mike Nesmith's "Rio" on high rotation, and there's nothing psychopathic about THE GREATEST SONG EVER WRITTEN. I hit F5 on iTunes for sixteen years waiting for that mofo to be released.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Last time I was in an airport, the guy ahead of me in line was singing that. I like finding it in the wild.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Did he seem psychopathic? I often get caught singing it in the photocopy room at work, so I probably look psychopathic.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Ahhh, No Diggity is on my playlist, as are multiple tracks from Kanye West. I would like to mention my current favorite, Body Counts Institutionalized 2014. This lyrics:
    The other day I go on the internet
    I'm just trying to check my e-mail
    So I put in my password - It says I have an invalid password
    I know my fuckin' password
    So then it says go to customer service
    So I get on customer service
    I start talking to this dude
    This motherfucker sounds like he's from India or some shit
    He says to me "Whats your first dogs name?"
    I don't know what my fuckin' first dogs name was!
    What the fuck's the matter with you?
    I just want my password!
    Gimme my fuckin' password!
    So then he ends up giving me my password
    And he says "Your password has been sent to your e-mail address"
    I'm like: I can't get in my e-mail address!
    What about "can't get in my e-mail address" do you not understand motherfucker!
    He says "oh my god
    It seems like you have an anger problem
    You should have that checked out"
    Ahh!
    That's me on a bad day.
    yanna likes this.

I don't have much rap in my playlist but I do have ICE T's O.G. Original Gangster cause it's epic. I don't care if it makes me psychopathic or some shit. It's epic.
    Lofty Bike likes this.
    Your bum has feelings, your bum is a part of you
    Don’t put it on chairs, your bum has an opinion, yeah

Elite Member

Has anyone ever taken the check list test? It's from 0 to 40. I have. Good times.

No Diggity is a good track tho.

The only rap I have on my playlist is:

Get Ur Freak On
    Yeah
    Fight for Your Right

Srsly. I'm such a geek. But guess I'm not a psychopath.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Those with highest psychopath scores were among the greatest fans of Blackstreet hit No Diggity, with Eminem’s Lose Yourself also rated highly

To the surprise of absolutely nobody here, I'm sure -- I have both of these songs on my MP3 player.

In fact, while blasting "Lose Yourself" on my car radio (on the way to a senseless killing, no doubt) my son and I love to shout "vomit on his sweater already - Mom's spaghetti!"

I'm not really into rap but I have:

a couple mainstream Eminem songs
    a few collabs Em did with Rhianna and Pink
    Rock Superstar (the song from Training Day, which was basically rap set to rock music)

Does that make me a psychopath?
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Not a Hip Hop fan either but I do have (and love) Ludicris My Chick Bad and I secretly love Nicki Minaj, especially Moment 4 Life.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Thread Information