Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bootlegs

Default Bootlegs

I don't know why I've never started a thread on this. I'm just wondering if there are any bootleg collectors out there. For those who might not know what they are, bootlegs are unofficial releases or recordings of live shows, studio outtakes, demos.. basically anything that wasn't directly released by a band or their record label. I've been collecting them for about two years now.. I have a few on vinyl but most of them are on my hard drive.

I don't know if there are many classic rock fans here, but I thought I would share some links to my favorites with you:

This is a Pink Floyd bootleg of their Oakland show in 1977. Mostly stuff from "Animals".. 'Dogs' is particularly ridiculous.

This is a cluster of files from Led Zeppelin's show at Earl's Court on May 25th, 1975. 'No Quarter' is 26 minutes long and, jesus christ, it's amazing.

And this is part of a 1975 Black Sabbath bootleg where they performed in NJ. This particular song is 'Sabbra Cadabra' and a really amazing instrumental jam and drum solo.

Just thought I'd share. I uploaded these all myself so there's no virus stuff to worry about.

i used to buy bootlegs as a teen, mostly live shows of bands i was into (the cure, etc) but then i became a stickler for sound quality and except for some exceptions - particularly beautiful songs or the odd good quality recording, i've given up on them. except for dylan demos and outtakes (basement tapes, etc.) though in recent years most of them have been remastered and released.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm spoiled and only focus on soundboards. The quality is much better than audience recordings.. I'll look around for some Cure stuff.. you'd be surprised.

I only have what other people have given me. I have some o' Penny giftings. Beyond that, I have a bunch of Springsteen boots.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I used to have some old Springsteen bootlegs but the sound quality was crap, and then I worked for a music lawyer for nearly a decade which drummed into my head that bootlegs take money out of artists' pockets. But nowadays just about any live show ever recorded is available somewhere for downloading. Some bands even encouraged their fans to buy bootlegs and would recommend the best ones. They just wanted their music heard, they didn't care about the money. The record companies were the ones trying to stop them.

Yeah, I don't think anyone ever bought a bootleg over an official release. The people buying the bootlegs are the same ones buying everything the artist releases and going to see them at least once every tour.

i collect demos and unreleased EPs. i also have some low quality bedroom recordings on my HD from bands that haven't been signed yet. i hold onto them because those songs might never be released officially.

I used to have a ridiculous amout of Pearl Jam stuff from the early 90's. One of my favorite things they ever did is a song called Wash that has never made it on anything. I still have this bootleg.
    Silence may be golden but, duct tape is cheaper.

I have some old Def Leppard bootlegs from the early 90's. The sound quality on some is kind of funky, but I like it a lot more than the over-produced stuff that they were doing in the studio at that time.
    We all like to think we're so special. But in the end, we all do the same stupid shit. - Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by VeraGemini View Post
    Yeah, I don't think anyone ever bought a bootleg over an official release. The people buying the bootlegs are the same ones buying everything the artist releases and going to see them at least once every tour.
    Grateful Dead, always preferred the official/unofficial bootlegs to their studio recordings.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Pearl Jam releases their own bootlegs to their fans on their website.
    Silence may be golden but, duct tape is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Grateful Dead, always preferred the official/unofficial bootlegs to their studio recordings.
    The Grateful Dead were different. They actually encouraged people to record their shows. And the whole point of the Dead wasn't their studio output, it was the experience of going to see them live. They made their money selling concert tickets, which is true for just about every artist on a major label now. The record companies get the bulk of the studio recording profits, the artists get paid from performing live and selling merch at the shows.

Yea, got that, but I was replying to your statement...

don't think anyone ever bought a bootleg over an official release
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

I guess I hadn't thought of the Grateful Dead live bootlegs as a special case, and they are. (There may be some other jam band live bootlegs in the same category, too.) I meant that the people who buy bootlegs of demos and alternate takes have already bought all the official releases. Casual fans don't go for the rarities like that.

Found a great Stones bootleg from the 1978 Woodstock rehearsals: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

And there is an AWESOME collection of Grateful Dead boots here: The Grateful Dead : Free Music : Free Audio : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information