Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help creating a program of black music

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Need help creating a program of black music

Hi hope you guys can help. I'm trying to put together a program of black music entitled "Music as Memoir: The Black Experience"

A. I know the title sucks. So any help there could be appreciated. I'm especially stuck on how to choose the title because African American is not the appropriate term for this.

B. The idea is to put together a series of music that serves as a memoir to the progress of the black community in the United States. Although I'm not sure what to include from outside the US that would be relevant.

So far I have the following in mind

A. Black Slave songs like the ones used in O Brother Where Art Thou
    Any suggestions?

B. Strange Fruit by Billy Holiday

C. Muddy Waters

D. BB King

E. Legend by Bob Marley

F. Jimi Hendrix

G. Prince and the PMRC fiasco

H. I need some rap music.

I was inspired by this idea because I saw I am Legend this weekend and I thought about how Legend was an interesting addition to the original story.

Also I liked the Wyclef Jean video "Yes We Can"

This is just off the top of my head so I'm sorry it's so incoherent. But I think I've got it out there.

What songs do you consider to be a song that would serve as a sort of memoir to the black experience in the US?

Don't forget the whole New Orleans jazz stuff. So much rich history. Here are some Hymms that are of deep meaning,in more ways than one.
    Steal Away
    Swing Low Sweet Chariot
    The Gospel Train’s a Comin’
    Wade in the Water
    From this wesite:Songs of Freedom
    I love all of those!

This is covering maybe too much territory. There is so much-don't know oif you can get all the way to rap to do it properly.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

Thanks so much! I forgot about New Orleans!

I know more about the Harlem Renaissance. I'm having to pick one song to represent an important era. So any specific suggestions of songs that also have a political attachment to the song sort of the way "Yes We Can" does would be appreciated.

Elite Member

Do not forget about Sam Cooke

For rap music what kind are you looking for gangsta rap? Political?

You need some Aretha Franklin. Probably 'Respect.'

But no song sums up the 'black experience' like Lift Every Voice & Sing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yCWD0v8eLE[/youtube]

Hit By Ban Bus!

Oh I need Gospel too.

Basically I want to put together a 3 month class that examines how certain songs create a memoir of eras. Think "Forrest Gump" and the way the soundtrack of that movie chose certain songs that related to how people viewed the "black experience"

The intention is to have students write about the relevance of the music when viewed through a historical lense.

So Strange Fruit is an interesting song for example because it blends the way Billy Holiday was a celeb in Harlem performing for white folks in her supper club but still singing about oppression and racism in the south.

Maybe Sammy Davis Junior is an interesting example as well. I just thought of this so I'm sorry I'm not more clear on what I wanted to do. I just think in choosing the songs it will come together naturally.

See already I think I have a better title "Soundtrack of the Black Experience?"

How does it come across to say "black" Bob Marley was not an African American, I always get confused by this.

The thing with black music is that all of it reflects the history & experiences to one degree or another. Be it gospel, soul, hip-hop or reggae. It all comes out of the African Diaspora, be it American or Caribbean.

So, while Marley isn't African-American he still fits into the 'Soundtrack of the Black Experience' perfectly. His music reflects the same themes because it shares a common history.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Is it ok to say Black Experience?

I'm going to put this together and come back to see what you think of the program. Thanks so much!

Yeah. Black Experience is fine.

Just be sure to get the stamp of approval from Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and Rush Limbaugh. The spokesmen for the black race.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Oh you know I ought to send them emails! LOL

Although I'm not sure what to include from outside the US that would be relevant.

While not American, any program of 'black music' would be sorely lacking without any Fela, Youssou N"Dour, or Hugh Masekela. Fela especially has influenced countless American 'black musicians'.

E. Legend by Bob Marley

I was inspired by this idea because I saw I am Legend this weekend and I thought about how Legend was an interesting addition to the original story.
    I'm confused by this bit, as Legend isn't a song, but an album title. The song from 'I Am Legend' is ' Redemption Song'. I'd go with 'Buffalo Soldier' for a Marley song that relates to American blacks over 'Redemption Song'. (BTW- Marley was bi-racial, and picked on as a child over this)
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; December 27th, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Elite Member

Please don't forget Miles Davis!

Hey there Collateral Damage

Strange Fruit is a wonderful choice. The history of the writing of that song (it was a poem first, actually) as well as its various interpretations by such folks as Jeff Buckley (RIP) is just quite something.

You will need some gospel on there, you know? Aretha Franklin did a wonderful record called "Amazing Grace" and it is a gospel music classic.

Here is the wiki about that...

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ranklin_album)

The Clark Sisters are a highly gifted gospel music act and they do things together but sometimes separately as well.

Here is the wiki on them...

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clark_Sisters

I am confused on this...

A. Black Slave songs like the ones used in O Brother Where Art Thou
    Any suggestions?
    There was a mix and match kinda thing on that soundtrack, IMHO. The Center for Southern Folklore might be able to help you out on that.

Here is their web site...

Center for Southern Folklore - Home

Good luck!

Robert Johnson and Scott Joplin would be a couple I would add.

Collateral Damage has been banned, so I doubt they'll be reading this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information