Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woodstock: 40 Years On: Back to Yasgur's Farm

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Woodstock: 40 Years On: Back to Yasgur's Farm

Review: 'Woodstock: 40 Years On: Back to Yasgur's Farm'

[COLOR=#333333 !important]The six-CD set offers a fresh and insightful take on the celebrated 1969 festival. For one thing, the bands are in chronological order, and many of the tracks were previously unreleased.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#999999 !important]By Randy Lewis
    August 9, 2009 [/COLOR]
    Even considering just the live performances during those celebrated "three days of peace and music" 40 years ago, Woodstock remains a magnificent cultural Rorschach test.

Baby boomers tout it as the pinnacle of unfettered experimentation that characterized the 1960s. Many members of the punk and post-punk generations still sneer at what can come across as the bombastic self-indulgence of the classic-rock era. Post-grunge music fans are demonstrating nouveau nostalgia for the jam-band vibe that flowered on that hot August weekend in upstate New York.

A new six-CD set, the most comprehensive single musical document of Woodstock yet, expands significantly on what's previously been released officially. There are nearly eight hours of music on "Woodstock: 40 Years On: Back to Yasgur's Farm," more than half of the 77 tracks previously unreleased, offering the most informative look yet at the richly varied music created at the festival. Even after everything that's been said, written, photographed, filmed and recorded on the event, this set shows that a fresh take is still possible.

Related

More Related:

Max Yasgur's Farm
    Groovy and lushly illustrated book about Woodstock and Max Yasgur
    Max Said Yes! The Woodstock Story: A Book For Children by A. Yasgur and J. Lipner
    Bach Choy Jazz/Jam Band
    @ Free outdoor festival, 9/5 & 9/6 Cyber Cafe Binghamton, NY 13905
    Monkeys Typing on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
    Homes in Woodstock
    Search all Woodstock, IL listings and sign up to track your favorites
    www.MchenryCountyHouses.com

Perhaps the most valuable aspect is the sequencing: For the first time, performances run chronologically, creating a far stronger sense of the actual event. You feel the momentum building from period-representative but largely forgotten acts such as Sweetwater, Bert Sommer and Quill in the early going toward the truly historic appearances by Janis Joplin; the Who; Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young; and Jimi Hendrix.

The festival's impressive stylistic variation also comes into full relief, with folk, blues-rooted rock, nascent world music, psychedelia, R&B and soul, and full-throttle rock. The CD booklet includes each day's bands and their complete set lists.

Among the highlights of the previously unreleased tracks are two songs by grossly under-appreciated singer-songwriter Tim Hardin, whose own recordings barely dented the charts in the late '60s and early '70s before he overdosed in 1980 at age 39.

Here he sings the wistful "Hang On to a Dream," a poignant song about a romantic breakup that seems to anticipate the larger bursting of the utopian bubble that Woodstock once represented. "Simple Song of Freedom" (written by Bobby Darin) was another ideal choice, Dylan-esque in its common-sense plea for social and political understanding amid the upheaval of the day.

Creedence Clearwater Revival was amid what arguably was its creative peak year -- the quartet led by John Fogerty put out three standout albums in 1969. Yet Fogerty long resisted issuing the Woodstock recordings because he felt the band hadn't been at its best.

Listening to the three Creedence cuts here makes you wish others' standards were as high as Fogerty's. It's also a welcome sonic palette cleanser of potently focused pop-rock coming on the heels of the Grateful Dead's typically expansive 19-minute run-through of "Dark Star."

The pro and con of late-'60s music crystallized at Woodstock. Musical experimentation was in full swing, and bands were open to anything that would let them break the shackles of musical conventions they'd grown up with. Time limitations imposed by the once-dominant 45-rpm single and strictures governing what was appropriate for AM radio airplay could be completely tossed aside in live performance.

Hence Canned Heat's 28-minute "Woodstock Boogie," which had surfaced before only in abbreviated form. Somewhere near the 20-minute mark it starts to feel like those "three days of peace and music" must have run closer to three weeks.

Is it part of musical history? Absolutely. Is it necessary? Not considering the Woodstock recordings that still haven't come to light.

The Who, for instance. The quartet had released its watershed rock opera "Tommy" shortly before Woodstock, and played most of it live. Even with this filled-out box set, we still get only "Amazing Journey," "Pinball Wizard" and a full-length performance of the previously edited "We're Not Gonna Take It."

The then-new, multi-part harmonies of Crosby, Stills and Nash (with Neil Young on a couple of numbers) still sounded shaky in spots, but it's still a shame we don't hear how Young and his new pals handled Buffalo Springfield's "Mr. Soul" that day.

Hendrix's mind-boggling performance ran something like 90 minutes, and we still get just a fraction of it here. Presumably the truly devoted already have the full "Jimi Hendrix: Live at Woodstock" CD released a decade ago.

Likewise, Joplin's full Woodstock set has surfaced in bootleg form, but there's reason to lament that we don't hear more of it here, given her searing performances of "Work Me, Lord" and "Ball and Chain," both of which were on a 1994 Woodstock box set.

The exceedingly polite and nonjudgmental advisories by emcees Chip Monck and John Morris, on topics such as bad acid and the perils of climbing speaker towers amid a thunderstorm, encapsulate the era's anything-goes attitude -- toward sex, drugs and especially rock 'n' roll.

Source:http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/n
    ews/la-ca-woodstockmusic9-2009aug09,0,7226472.story

Were you there?

Hit By Ban Bus!

It was a few weeks before my 16th birthday. My mother had gone away for the weekend, and I could pretty much do what I wanted for the weekend. I decided, what the hell, I'll go! I called my mother and told her I was going with a girlfriend to a family farm in upstate NY and she would probably be home before me. That was fine. She never knew where I really went.

It turned out to be the most incredible weekend of my life!!!

Might want to correct the title...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^I've only seen the grainy footage of Woodstock and it looks like lots of rain, mud and acid. But obviously, it was one of the greatest moments in music history.

Did you have any idea (before hand) about how big it would be? Also, who or what were the best acts you saw??

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    And isn't it one big advert for the cd boxed set anyway? Plus, it's not gossip so shouldn't it be in the music thread????
    Free Charmed.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Jansi View Post
    It was a few weeks before my 16th birthday. My mother had gone away for the weekend, and I could pretty much do what I wanted for the weekend. I decided, what the hell, I'll go! I called my mother and told her I was going with a girlfriend to a family farm in upstate NY and she would probably be home before me. That was fine. She never knew where I really went.

It turned out to be the most incredible weekend of my life!!!
    Titlw came directly for posted article about woodstock. Tell me what you think it should say?

Titlw came directly for posted article about woodstock. Tell me what you think it should say?
    WooDstock,not WooEstock.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

tell me?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by McJag
    WooDstock,not WooEstock.

OMG spelling police. I know what it was, typo. __________________
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Novice
    And isn't it one big advert for the cd boxed set anyway? Plus, it's not gossip so shouldn't it be in the music thread????

didn't even know there was a cd forwoodstock, and I mentioned it NOWHERE. I have CD's of individual artists, but didn't know about others. This is about woodstock, not a CD you claim exists. No, not in music thread, ti is not about music, it is about the woodstock experience.
    Last edited by Jansi; August 9th, 2009 at 07:40 AM.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    didn't even know there was a cd forwoodstock, and I mentioned it NOWHERE. I have CD's of individual artists, but didn't know about others. This is about woodstock, not a CD you claim exists. No, not in music thread, ti is not about music, it is about the woodstock experience.

Hit By Ban Bus!

WooDstock,not WooEstock.
    OMG spelling police. I know what it was, typo.

No, not in music thread, ti is not about music, it is about the woodstock experience.
    this thread definitely belongs in the music forum.

didn't even know there was a cd forwoodstock, and I mentioned it NOWHERE. I have CD's of individual artists, but didn't know about others. This is about woodstock, not a CD you claim exists.
    "A new six-CD set, the most comprehensive single musical document of Woodstock yet, expands significantly on what's previously been released officially. There are nearly eight hours of music on "Woodstock: 40 Years On: Back to Yasgur's Farm," more than half of the 77 tracks previously unreleased, offering the most informative look yet at the richly varied music created at the festival. Even after everything that's been said, written, photographed, filmed and recorded on the event, this set shows that a fresh take is still possible."

taken from the article you posted.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Without question the best rock festival of the 20th century,though i was at this gig in Weeley,England,and was really impressed by it.

BBC Inside Out - Weeley Rock Festival

tell me?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by McJag
    WooDstock,not WooEstock.

OMG spelling police. I know what it was, typo. __________________
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Novice

BTW does this mean that you don't even read what you post?

OMG spelling police. I know what it was, typo.
    When are you going to learn to either edit your posts or multi-quote them? Its not rocket science... After you've posted you get another button entitled "EDIT" or you can multipost by selecting the button to the right of the quote button. There is a tutorial in the rules section as its against the rules to continually make single posts..... just a thought..... did you read the rules yet?
    Free Charmed.

Novice - you're being so mean. I think I will report you!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Do your worst Sluce! I think I've got a machete around here somewhere.... that should sort you out!
    Free Charmed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information