Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 year old Opera Singer ... real or fake?

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    She has a CD that came out last year. Who knew? But I didnt know people were allowed to go on that show if they already put out CDs. Was I wrong?
    i was wondering about that too because they said on the today show that she has a "gig" coming up which to me means you shouldn't be on a show like that. her voice is absolutly amazing but so strange to see coming from such a small child.

i hate child prodigy singers. whether it's mini gospel singers or mini opera divas, i just don't see the point. yes, impressive voice in a tiny body but so what? it's like some kind of circus gimmick or a monkey performing tricks, everyone ooohs and aaaaahs and then the kid disappears and/or grows up and people move on to the next mini prodigy and their 15 minutes...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ I may be wrong but thats not entirely true. Look at Charlotte Church. Wasnt she a prodigy so many years ago? Wait, bad example. She didnt turn out very good at all.

I dont really approve of them much either TBH. I mean her and the 7 year old Gospel girl, theyre kids. They may have been blessed with amazing voices but so what? Get them training, let them go on shows once in awhile but for the most part let them be kids. They can always try to go after a career later on in life. And if they have proper training theyll be even better. Few competitions or shows here and there to get the name out during childhood, they might have fame and people just waiting for them to put out some new material so they can buy it. What is this mess with putting out CDs before they even hit 10? It seems more like the parents or family want the money. Who even knows what the kid wants, theyre just a kid. Its almost saddening to see that while these two girls are both very skilled there couldnt be a video. There couldnt just be some videos of them singing. Oh no, theres CDs, Facebooks, Twitters, everything. Arent they too young for this?

it's not about approving or disapproving. i just don't give a crap that some 8 year-old has big pipes. it's not like they ever do anything with them besides singing standards to impress people. opera is about more than just a voice, what this kid is doing is nothing more than a parlour trick.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yes. You're totally right. She should just shut her pie hole until she's at an age in which it's acceptable to show off her talents. What in the hell is she thinking? Damn kids today.

Quote Originally Posted by marina View Post
    That's Mimi from La Boheme. My mother could do that, too at that age. It's probably not uncommon for opera singers.
    Posted from my iPhone

Very true - because of the Internet and the many talent shows we now have, these young opera singers are getting more exposusre. And, we are blown away with it.

What a lovely voice. It's not just that she hits the notes. She has a really beautiful tone quality. It is freakish, but pleasantly so.

I wonder how the young Julie Andrews or Beverly Sills would've sounded on modern recording equipment? Julie still sounds amazing here, even given the poor quality mono:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjp6kVOnqNQ[/youtube]

Thing is, back in the day the talents of girls like Andrews and Sills were safeguarded, nurtured and carefully trained. Obviously Charlotte Church's experience was quite different and I fear this kid's will be too.

If I had a kid like that, I'd do my best to steer her into a legitimate operatic career, not the dangerous and nasty world of international pop recording. But maybe I am an old fuddy-duddy...
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I thought this girl was trained to be an Opera singer. She's gone Pop?

Well, putting out CDs and going on America's Got Talent seems pretty poppish....

not to mention it takes many, many years to become a full-fledged opera singer. She hasn't even lived long enough!
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Yes. You're totally right. She should just shut her pie hole until she's at an age in which it's acceptable to show off her talents. What in the hell is she thinking? Damn kids today.
    because it's like a trained monkey doing tricks, there is no real artistry because she's at an age where she's too young to even really understand the story behind the opera she's singing.

Julie Andrews is one of my favourites but god dam she sounded like an irritating little shit as a child.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

I am curious as to if she will even have a decent voice years from now.

Charlotte Church blew her voice out because she did not learn proper technique.

I wish the best for this young lady, but I think that she needs to take things slow. And, she also needs to obtain a proper vocal coach who will teach her proper technique and who will hopefully be patient with her eventual vocal maturation as well.

I always wondered why Charlotte Church stopped doing opera and went to pop. Thought she just got sick of it. But why isnt she singing anything now? Guess that answers my question.

Ditto. I also wondered why Charlotte stopped singing opera. I didnt know that about her lack of techinical training.

I am surprised she didn't try to 'treasure' her voice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information