Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Viggo Mortensen speaks 9 languages

oh fuk off you sexy beast! I cant even speak my own language properly

I need a drink now

Well, his Italian is not perfect but his accent is kind of adorable.
    palta likes this.

Love Viggo, but every time I see him all I can think about is his nude fight scene in Eastern Promises...

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    Love Viggo, but every time I see him all I can think about is his nude fight scene in Eastern Promises...
    You say that like it's a bad thing???? Or was it *really* cold?
    sputnik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing???? Or was it *really* cold?
    Oh, not a bad thing; it's been a while since I saw the movie so I honestly can't recall if he's a shower or a grower, lol!

czb

he looked good in that movie. but i like him in nearly every movie i've seen of his.
    Novice and sputnik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    he looked good in that movie. but i like him in nearly every movie i've seen of his.
    Yes, and how he's very different in each film (because he's an actor rather than someone just playing different versions of themselves - Brad Pitt, jack Nicholson, etc)
    czb, crayzeehappee and Mrs Fawlty like this.

One of my girl scouts speaks English and Swedish fluently and is in the Spanish immersion program as a elementary kid. I think her dad speaks 5 languages (including British Sign Language). I wouldn't be surprised if she was able to pick up French or another nordic language easily.

Meanwhile my kid chose Chinese this year and I'm somehow suppose to help him out while being tone deaf and learning from home. Awesome.
    Novice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    Oh, not a bad thing; it's been a while since I saw the movie so I honestly can't recall if he's a shower or a grower, lol!
    Believe it or not, I remember. Probably more of a grower, but you have to remember the nature of the scene, too. Buck-naked Viggo is being attacked in a locker room by one (or was it, two?) guys with giant knives. I would like to think that "little Viggo" had the survivor instinct of making himself as small a target as possible when sharp objects are swinging around randomly -- probably an evolutionary development.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    One of my girl scouts speaks English and Swedish fluently and is in the Spanish immersion program as a elementary kid. I think her dad speaks 5 languages (including British Sign Language). I wouldn't be surprised if she was able to pick up French or another nordic language easily.

Meanwhile my kid chose Chinese this year and I'm somehow suppose to help him out while being tone deaf and learning from home. Awesome.
    I was just reading about setting up a Netflix account that plays other language programs by selecting the language in settings! I'm thinking of doing this as I'm trying to teach myself German & Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post

I guess depends where you grow up. From Middle School onwards we were taught 4 languages. (2 in kindergarten, at a normal government school) That was the norm living in a country that has 3 official languages and of course they also had English in the curriculum.

I am really encouraging my kids to learn Chinese.
    Novice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kasippu View Post
    I guess depends where you grow up. From Middle School onwards we were taught 4 languages. (2 in kindergarten, at a normal government school) That was the norm living in a country that has 3 official languages and of course they also had English in the curriculum.

Indeed, in the matter of education, a lot depends on the environment and on what the child has been invested in since childhood. If a child is not taught from childhood to strive for knowledge, then later it is unlikely that he will have such a striving. And much more depends on the teachers. There are teachers who discourage children from learning. In short, there is no single answer to this question. This is a complex problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I was just reading about setting up a Netflix account that plays other language programs by selecting the language in settings! I'm thinking of doing this as I'm trying to teach myself German & Russian.
    We did that for the kid and changed the Kids account to Norwegian so he gets to hear Norwegian dub on everything. Ridiculous it took us so long, it's really cool.

Speaking of Viggo and how multilingual he is, he's cheating with Danish, Swedish and Norwegian, those are incredibly similar. You speak one and you can mostly understand the others too and Nordics often just talk to each other each speaking their language and they understand. If you see The Bridge in it's Swedish/Danish original, the Swedish cop speaks Swedish and the Danish cop Danish and they understand each other just fine. However, the poor Finnish cop is just sitting in the corner talking to himself
    palta and Novice like this.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by kasippu View Post

Where did you grow up, kasippu?
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Where did you grow up, kasippu?
    Belgium, I guess in a country so small ,surrounded by different languages, you kind of have to. I hated it then but it is very useful now. THat said I am not 'fluent' in any language,
    Novice likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information