Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Actress Justine Bateman's book "Face: One Square Foot of Skin"

why are people so proud to look younger than their age? there is so much to unpack in that kind of sentiment. i mean, my mom does too and while it would be nice if i age the same way i'm not so deeply attached to it like it's some kind of badge of honour or like i'm extra virtuous. i'm more interested in ageing like my mother when it comes to how energetic and fit and healthy she is for almost 70, not how smooth her skin is. my aunt who died recently looked 2 decades younger in her face, meanwhile her body was crippled from arthritis and her heart let out after decades of cortisone and steroids to treat her arthritis but hey at least she died looking younger and without as many lines, right?

we've all internalised this crap but as we become more aware of it, maybe we should be working to free ourselves from it and stop acting like ageing well means looking younger than your age, which is a subjective measure anyway because how do you determine what you're supposed to look at at a certain age? not to mention how genetics, race, geographical location, economic and social status, stress levels, etc. all play a role as well.
    czb, Novice, palta and 2 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

i can't tell if i look younger or older than my age. i guess some vain part of me would like to think i look younger but i honestly don't know.

right now, i'm more interested in mental and physical fitness. maintaining mental acuity, having a good attitude. the latter has been especially hard during covid. as for physical fitness, when i was in my 20s i was heavily into weightlifting and was super proud of how much i could bench or deadlift. now, i'm more interested in my core strength and mobility. can i easily hike 10 miles? can i do an intense plank work out with my kids? stuff like that.
    HWBL, palta and sputnik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    why are people so proud to look younger than their age? there is so much to unpack in that kind of sentiment. i mean, my mom does too and while it would be nice if i age the same way i'm not so deeply attached to it like it's some kind of badge of honour or like i'm extra virtuous. i'm more interested in ageing like my mother when it comes to how energetic and fit and healthy she is for almost 70, not how smooth her skin is. my aunt who died recently looked 2 decades younger in her face, meanwhile her body was crippled from arthritis and her heart let out after decades of cortisone and steroids to treat her arthritis but hey at least she died looking younger and without as many lines, right?

we've all internalised this crap but as we become more aware of it, maybe we should be working to free ourselves from it and stop acting like ageing well means looking younger than your age, which is a subjective measure anyway because how do you determine what you're supposed to look at at a certain age? not to mention how genetics, race, geographical location, economic and social status, stress levels, etc. all play a role as well.
    I never said I was "proud" of looking younger than I am, it's just a statement of something that is, apparently, a fact, since pretty much everybody who doesn't know how old I am (like I said: as I am creeping up to my age appearance-wise not as often now as before) always guessed me much younger. And it's not always fun. When I was 28, I had a 16-year-old kid just about stalking me, who refused to believe my age. When I was in my early thirties, the teenage daughter of one of the lawyers I worked with thought I was a trainee, like she was, for the summer. People for the longest time thought I was my parent's granddaughter (age-wise I could have been since they had me at 51 and almost 42, but they did not look their ages either), so that was not fun for them nor for me. Nor is it fun getting talked down to by people maybe max 5 years older than you are who seem to think they have at least 1 decade of "wisdom and experience" over you. I once had a co-worker, ten years younger than me, address me like this "Child, ...." to which I replied "If I'm a child, then you are a fetus." That shut her up.
    firebrat1229 and DawnM74 like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I mean, it's true it's an internalized vanity that we're socialized into. But I don't see it changing generally. Youth aesthetically looks better, and nobody wants to look fat. I assume most people I meet and know irl have more value than the surface appearance, so I don't consider myself superficial as a person, but we don't "meet" most people, we only know what we can see in passing.
    czb, pinkbunnyslippers and LaFolie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    why are people so proud to look younger than their age?
    I remember years ago a coworker of mine say, "Mo is just one of those older guys who is in really good shape for his age." It was like a compliment about my physical shape, while acknowledging that I looked my age. You can look somewhat youthful, but for the most, you really cannot outrun your own age. The topic is fascinating to me because I had so many hot messes in my family - mostly due to their own bad habits. I didn't want to be in the same boat they were in - overweight, buy new clothes every year (and not because they were out of style), sleeping off a hangover, having to go on a crash diet to get back into shape or restrict my diet because i over-indulged for 20 years. In my case, I probably look like a 55+ year-old head grafted to a 35-year-old body. Which is not something to brag about, but it sure makes doing my daily stuff really easy.

But I'm still endlessly fascinated by aging, how to slow it down, what kinds of foods I can mix in to make things better. And how you can track this with celebrities who have been in the public eye for decades.
    HWBL and pinkbunnyslippers like this.

i look younger than i am but i'm ugly so that doesn't mean a thing lol
    i feel younger too, like not at all i'm 40, so it is surprising when my body starts aching.

eta: i don't care about my physical appearance honestly. last year i started loving myself and it's been a mind blowing experience.
    SHELLEE, HWBL, sputnik and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by palta View Post
    i look younger than i am but i'm ugly so that doesn't mean a thing lol
    i feel younger too, like not at all i'm 40, so it is surprising when my body starts aching.

eta: i don't care about my physical appearance honestly. last year i started loving myself and it's been a mind blowing experience.
    Don't forget a bunch of people here already loved you, Palta.

^you are so kind, Mo!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by palta View Post
    I totally read this as 'last year I started blowing myself' and shot my water right on out my nose!

Regarding Justine, I do think she suffered from eating disorders of some type as well, which I can imagine might have an impact on her skin and whatnot. I agree she's playing it up a bit for the book and I sorta appreciate that. She's certainly getting people talking about age and our perception of it.
    palta likes this.

^sorry

I think you can't gauge a persons age once they hit 40. I've seen some really rough 42 year olds that look like they are 60, I've seen 60 year old that look like they are 40. No rhyme or reason.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I’m glad and proud I look young for my age. No shame here. I’ve been taught by my mother what to do for saving my skin, and being healthy. Outside as well as inside.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information