Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Actress Justine Bateman's book "Face: One Square Foot of Skin"

It can look even worse:
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by funky_chicken View Post
    Yeah I never understood that either. I mean, if you want to go make-up free, go for it. If you want to let your hair look greasy, your choice. But why bother using an eyeliner and just painting your tearline? It just looks weird.
    that eyeliner is a look. usually among kind of gothy hippie types like michèle lamy.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I know, my MIL's sister has the same style, or at least similar. She at least doesn't have greasy hair. But putting on makeup means using that eyeliner. Doesn't make me understand it though.
    -

She’s had a life time of being told to be thin, she probably smoked and sun.
    Her skin and face are that of a “normal” person (some age well, some don’t). I think that we are so used to seeing touched up photos, ps, fillers & Botox that it’s hard for people to filter that.

She has some great points about the misogyny of women’s faces & “presentation”. I know that we call out the sticky unkempt males like wife-beater Jonny Depp but a lot of media don’t.
    ConstanceSpry and holly like this.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Her skin and face are that of a “normal” person (some age well, some don’t). I think that we are so used to seeing touched up photos, ps, fillers & Botox that it’s hard for people to filter that.

She has some great points about the misogyny of women’s faces & “presentation”. I know that we call out the sticky unkempt males like wife-beater Jonny Depp but a lot of media don’t.
    Because of my mom, I had a firsthand chance to see the effect of natural collagen on someone's face. When she was was in her sixties, her face had lost a lot of it, and you could see folds of skin. Then, she somehow contracted Scleroderma - and her face was filled with collagen again, giving her a supernaturally youthful-looking and smooth face. It was pretty freaky, and the effect subsided when she went into remission.
    Novice likes this.

Elite Member

I have lots of pasty Irish women in my family that lived out in the Florida sun for 40 years, drinking, smoking and doing some hardcore drugs. None look so bad as Justine. I personally think she looks far, far older than the average 55 year old.
    HWBL, Beeyotch and holly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour;[URL="tel:3812263"
    3812263[/URL]]I have lots of pasty Irish women in my family that lived out in the Florida sun for 40 years, drinking, smoking and doing some hardcore drugs. None look so bad as Justine. I personally think she looks far, far older than the average 55 year old.
    Yep and genetics had an input too.

Her brother makes me think the genetics effect is limited. He's only 3 years younger and looks 15 years younger. I think I remember him saying in an interview that he tends toward getting pudgy so he is diligent about diet and exercise, and quit smoking.
    HWBL likes this.

Yep, my sister is 2 years old than me but tanned for years whereas I wore sun screen religiously. She doesn’t drink enough water & her skin shows it. I do plus I’m fat and people think we’re 10+ years apart.

Her brother could have been using judicial Botox & fillers ?

Same for my mom and her sister. My mom will be 68 this year and her sister is two years younger. My mom has always looked younger by 10-15 years because she has more fat in her face (still barely has a wrinkle) and my aunt lived a pretty hard life, is stick thin, and drank and smoked her way through life. I remember seeing her when I was a little kid (I’ve only met her a handful of times on my life) and she looked older than my grandmother by a good bit already at that point.

ETA: So all this talk about skin damage suddenly brought Tan Mom to mind. Made me curious how her tanning addiction is affecting her skin after so many years. Found her Instagram. *shudders* The difference between the filtered and unfiltered pictures are pretty extreme.

https://www.instagram.com/realtanmom/?hl=en
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I think at least *some* of this is Justine deliberately trying to play it up (for her book) by using harsh lighting, strategic makeup that emphasizes her flaws and age.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

Yep, my sister is 2 years old than me but tanned for years whereas I wore sun screen religiously. She doesn’t drink enough water & her skin shows it. I do plus I’m fat and people think we’re 10+ years apart.

Her brother could have been using judicial Botox & fillers ?
    There's definitely differences in how we age based on the fullness/fat in our faces. Pre-weight loss for me, at 35, I was constantly told I barely looked 30 (frequently proofed for cigs & alcohol). My face was VERY full. My sister, 2 years older and always much skinner, always had some meat on her face as well. Once I dropped the weight, the sheer amount of lines on my face blew me away, especially in my forehead. They were there the whole time hiding out under the fat. I'm also a smoker so.

I'm 44 now and think I look 44 but am still told I look like I'm in my mid-30s. My sister is 45 and is constantly asked if she's her kids nanny. I chalk that up to her small stature, though her face really looks great for 45. I'm definitely grayer and more wrinkly than her.
    Novice likes this.

Age, or the perception of age, is so fascinating. My MIL is 66 and has a sister who is 2 years younger. My MIL didn't have the easiest life, as in working from a very early age on, her husband (my FIL) had an affair that resulted in another child which she found out when he was in the hospital recovering from a bad accident that required a lot of assistance, she still cared for him until he was better and could live alone. After that she raised two boys alone, and always struggled with money, her ex husband couldn't work again because of the accident. And those two boys weren't the easiest ones, I can tell you that. Her sister on the other hand never had children, travelled a lot and didn't work a lot in her life. But still, she looks at least 10 years older than my MIL. Even though both have great skin, and my MIL has more white hair, she looks more youthful. I still think a lot of that has to do with the whole energy of a person. My MIL is a very positive person, her sister is, how should a say, more miserable.
    MohandasKGanja and Novice like this.
    -

^^^ I think a person who smiles a lot tends to look younger and happier and just elicit more positive reactions from people who look at their photos. I also think it conveys energy - people who are exhausted or sick are not going to do much smiling. Before I met Mrs Mo, I almost never smiled for photos - it felt fake to me at the time, but it improved my photos and it became natural to do.

In terms of faces, I think that heart-shaped faces tend to look more youthful, while angular seem to age faster (at least to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    There's definitely differences in how we age based on the fullness/fat in our faces. Pre-weight loss for me, at 35, I was constantly told I barely looked 30 (frequently proofed for cigs & alcohol). My face was VERY full. My sister, 2 years older and always much skinner, always had some meat on her face as well. Once I dropped the weight, the sheer amount of lines on my face blew me away, especially in my forehead. They were there the whole time hiding out under the fat. I'm also a smoker so.

I'm 44 now and think I look 44 but am still told I look like I'm in my mid-30s. My sister is 45 and is constantly asked if she's her kids nanny. I chalk that up to her small stature, though her face really looks great for 45. I'm definitely grayer and more wrinkly than her.
    My (half) sister and I for the longest time looked up to about a decade and a half younger than we were, she probably longer than me despite being a smoker. She's 16 years older than I am and used to have a real strong, athletic, tall, wide-shouldered, big-busted physique and her coloring is darker than mine. But once she started aging (later than one would expect) it was like it went twice as fast for her. She slimmed down and, probably because of the smoking, her skin tone dulled down, too. Kind of a grey-ish olive tone, if that's the way to describe it. She still colors her grey hair her original dark brown color, so that doesn't help, either. The only thing we had in common, physical build-wise, was long legs and wide shoulders, but I'm quite a few inches shorter than her and my coloring is lighter with, originally, reddish-brown hair. I'd say I started creeping up to my age, looks-wise, about 5 years ago or so. I used to color shampoo my hair medium brown, but since COVID I've stopped doing that and I'm quite grey (to me it's shocking that at 57 I'm more grey than my mom was at 92!). Some people who still thought I was about 5-7 years younger than my actual age, looked totally confused when they first saw me with grey hair, LOL. What's extra shocking is that, although I'm not even close as wrinkly as most of my same-age co-workers and friends, I'm already much more wrinkled than my parents who lived to be 93 and 92!!!! One time my friends and I were talking about that and we ended up calling it "computer screen wrinkling", because we noticed we'd unconsciously frown whenever we look at our computer screens (and we do that at least 8 hours a day because of our jobs).
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information