Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid commercial with Jessica Simpson

Default Stupid commercial with Jessica Simpson

Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    Why?? Does she talk like she's posh?

Elite Member

I don't get why she does such a bad accent if she's from Texas?

I didn't watch clip but I think you are talking about that stupid one where she is hawking HDTV. She looks like the joker in that thing. What is with her face. Also, she has the worst accent since Madonna moving to England.

Yeah, this is her whole Daisy Duke from the pathetic Dukes of Hazzard movie that she's "reprising". I think they photoshopped it somehow though. She doesn't look anywhere near what she did when she was in the movie.
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

It's part of a whole series of ads for DirecTV; they've also had one where Bill Paxton is in Twister, and then turns to the camera to talk about DirecTV, and with Verne Troyer in Austin Powers.

Silver Member

She looks ridiculous in this ad. The way her head is bopping side to side in tune with her dumb ass accent!

Boring boring boring. Yeah yeah we know your body was at it's best in that movie.

They must have shot that commercial during the same time she shot the movie because she definitely hasn't been hitting the gym or looking like that for a long time now.

Add me to the list of people confused at why her Southern accent is so bad given that she's from Texas. It sounds like she can't quite nail down a dialect--it's southern-belle-y interspersed with big ol' redneck.

Maybe she never really had an accent in spite of being from Texas? Does anyone remember from Newlyweds?

I'm from Georgia, and it frustrates me when people attempt a Southern accent and fail so miserably. Either you talk like a Southern Belle a la Designing Women or you have an amalgamation because of the numerous other cultures here. Never, have I EVER heard anyone talk like Jessica Simpson in that commercial. It's very confusing, especially since she's from Texas. It further solidifies her place as an ignorant, talentless hooch. (Okay, that was harsh....but somewhat true...right?)
    There is no substitute for paying attention.
    ~Diane Sawyer

I hate fake southern accents! It drives me nuts! I am southern and I rarely hear an actress pull off a true southern accent.
    It's strange because people have said that our true southern accent sounds very British! I can hear a lot of Scottish dialect in our speech. oh well.

That's the most screwed up attempt at a southern accent I've ever heard! Yeah, you'd think since she's a southerner she could pull it off, but then again, she's also a big ol' dumbass.

What an annoying (as well as embarrassing) commercial....

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    I hate fake southern accents! It drives me nuts! I am southern and I rarely hear an actress pull off a true southern accent.
    It's strange because people have said that our true southern accent sounds very British! I can hear a lot of Scottish dialect in our speech. oh well.

Interesting. Maybe that's why Vivien Leigh did such a decent job in Gone With the Wind.

Yeah, that accent that Jessica is doing in that ear-splitting commercial is nothing like I've ever heard in all my years of living all over the south. That there must be some kind of Retard Southern, where you've got a retarded southern girl trying to fake a southern accent.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Silver Member

Watching that commercial makes me want to poke my own eyes out.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post

Well Southern accents originated from people wanting to sound more elegant and British. I don't hear the similarities, but it is a funny concept.

I love the sound of a true Southern accent. It's so classy. Something Jessica definitely is not. I hate when she says "but I want it." So fake sounding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information