• 4 Post By CornFlakegrl
  • 1 Post By Waterslide
  • 1 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By lindsaywhit
  • 1 Post By Duchess of Verona

Thread: First Gay Wedding for the British Royal Family

Default First Gay Wedding for the British Royal Family

The British royal family is about to have its first-ever gay wedding

Another royal wedding is at hand, and this one is set to be more historic than the last. Hot on the trail of biracial divorcée Meghan Markle's marriage to Prince Harry, comes the British royal family's first-ever gay marriage.

Lord Ivar Mountbatten, cousin to Queen Elizabeth II, is set to marry his partner James Coyle on his country estate later this summer. The 55-year-old revealed the details of the upcoming ceremony to The Daily Mail, explaining how while he didn't feel the need to get married "because I've been there, done that, and have my wonderful children," he "really wanted to do it for James."

Mountbatten publicly came out as gay in 2016 and gay marriage became legal in the UK in 2014. Up until that point, only his wife Penny was aware of his sexual orientation. Though the two divorced in 2011 after 17 years of marriage, they remain friends and co-parents to their three daughters Ella, Alix, Luli.
    Penny is so supportive of her ex and his new relationship that she is set to walk him down the aisle and give him away at his own wedding.

"It was the girls' idea. It makes me feel quite emotional. I'm really very touched," she told The Daily Mail, adding how she and Coyle "have got on from the first 10 seconds of meeting each other."

The girls are excited too. "When I mentioned it to our eldest daughter, Ella, she said, 'Oh Pap, it's not a big deal. It's so normal nowadays,'" explains Mountbatten. "Of course that generation, they're completely cool about the concept of this."

"Ivar is so much more relaxed these days," Penny said. "He's so much kinder. He probably wasn't even aware that by keeping his sexuality a secret it was really quite tormenting him. Now it's 'out,' he's a completely different person. Everybody says they've never seen him happier."

The ceremony is set to be be small and non-traditional; no first dance, no little tuxedoed men atop a cake, no white doves. The couple plans on hosting a small party afterwards but will "probably have cheese, instead of cake" — a choice I personally couldn't stan enough.

Lord Mountbatten is still in disbelief. "I never thought this would happen. It's brilliant, but I never thought I'd marry a man."

The British royal family is about to have its first-ever gay wedding - Business Insider
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Wow. Very cool.

I wonder how far removed you have to be from the throne to do this. Are there rules/laws regarding close direct line royals (Charles, Will & offspring, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, etc.)?
    DawnM74 likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Not written rules but as the times change the crown will continue to evolve, albeit at a slower speed. I bet if any of will or Harry's kids come out as gay it won’t be a big deal. Unless it’s the heir, they’ll always get fucked over and have to be much more conventional.
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^Yeah, that's what I was thinking. How bizarre and draconian it would be now that it's not the middle ages, to make someone produce an heir if they didn't swing a certain way. I mean, yeah, that was the norm in the past, but now. Then there's surrogacy. This really does open a can of worms for actual heirs, though not so much the brothers, sisters, and cousins...
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I would hope that by the time we have had Charles and then William on the throne (and we could easily be talking 50+ years here) social attitudes would have changed enough that any direct heir could have a same sex consort without the public going up in flames. Assuming that the then-Monarch didn't produce children (which could be tricky, constitutionally) then the throne would pass automatically to the next in line, such as a sibling/nephew/niece upon the incumbents death .
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    ^Yeah, that's what I was thinking. How bizarre and draconian it would be now that it's not the middle ages, to make someone produce an heir if they didn't swing a certain way. I mean, yeah, that was the norm in the past, but now. Then there's surrogacy. This really does open a can of worms for actual heirs, though not so much the brothers, sisters, and cousins...
    they can just clone themselves and rule the world FOREVER!!!!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I would hope that by the time we have had Charles and then William on the throne (and we could easily be talking 50+ years here)
    Charles is about to turn 70. I highly doubt it's going to be 50+ years. While the Windsor women are very long lived, the men are much less so. Even if C inherited today, I doubt he would be on the throne for 10 years. If his mother lives to the same age as her mother, it will be another 10 years before Prince Tampaccio gets to sit on the throne, which would make him 80 at the coronation.

On the other hand, as I said to my dear husband, Do you think if we all wrote to Queen Elizabeth saying that the revolution was a terrible mistake, do you think she would take us back? It may be the only escape from the Orange Overlord.

Here's the happy couple - Lord Ivar is on the left. The marriage is said to have, "the full support of the Royal Family." Even if it didn't, the marriage could legally go ahead. Same sex marriage has been legal in most of GB since, I believe, 2014. (Northern Ireland only allows civil unions.) It's only the first six in the line of succession who must get permission from the monarch in order to marry. I wonder if Prince Edward will attend - Lord Ivar is one of Lady Louise's godfathers.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

Well good for him!

Yeah, Charles' reign will be the shortest in a long time because I don't see his mom stepping away until her feet are in the grave and that could definitely be another 10 years easy.

I see William up there by age 50, possibly earlier. What is he, about 35 now?
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^ 36. Yeah I think he could be on the throne in his 50s too.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post

Here's the happy couple - Lord Ivar is on the left. The marriage is said to have, "the full support of the Royal Family." Even if it didn't, the marriage could legally go ahead. Same sex marriage has been legal in most of GB since, I believe, 2014. (Northern Ireland only allows civil unions.) It's only the first six in the line of succession who must get permission from the monarch in order to marry. I wonder if Prince Edward will attend - Lord Ivar is one of Lady Louise's godfathers.
    He's a Mountbatten, not a Windsor. They are related through Prince Philip's uncle Lord Louis Mountbatten, Earl Mountbatten of Burma, who was blown up by IRA terrorists while boating after serving as First Sea Lord and last Viceroy of India. He is Queen Victoria's great great great grand son.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

In other words, no chance of him getting anywhere near the throne.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Silver Member

^ And no need to ask for permission.

Thread Information