Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celebrity ex-wives who sold their engagement ring

Default Celebrity ex-wives who sold their engagement ring

After only two years together, Ben Affleck decided to make "Bennifer" official, and proposed to Lopez with a remarkable Harry Winson six-carat pink diamond ring worth a cool $1.2 million. But when Jennifer went back on the (dating) market after her split from Affleck in 2004, so did the diamond. It was "reacquired" by Harry Winston in 2005. Its new price? We'll never know: The starting bid was undisclosed and only available to "serious bidders." Just three years later, Affleck married Jennifer Garner. Apparently the actor took his past into account--he didn't spend nearly as much on Garner's engagement ring: her 4.5 carat diamond is valued at $500,000.

Elizabeth Taylor's love affair with jewelry is well documented. Her enormous collection, valued at more than $150 million, is being auctioned off in December of 2011 by Christie's. In keeping with Taylor's personal campaign for an HIV/AIDS cure, "the proceeds from the exhibition admissions, events, and publications related to the sales will be donated to the Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation, which the actress founded in 1991. But one of her most spectacular pieces, a "69.24 carat, inch thick diamond," purchased by ex-husband Richard Burton for $1.1 million, will not be included in the auction. After the couple's divorce in 1978, Taylor announced she was putting the remarkable gem up for sale and putting the proceeds toward building a hospital in Botswana. She seemed unattached to the jewel, saying only, "It was very large and very heavy...Anyway, I hadn't worn it in ages..."

Although she endured one of the most acrimonious divorces in Hollywood history, Kim Basinger did get one thing out of her marriage to Alec Baldwin: a gorgeous engagement ring. Although Basinger was reportedly reluctant to wed the "30 Rock" star, the 3.7 carat Tiffany and Co. diamond must have convinced her. The ring was on her finger for the duration of her nine year marriage, but after a bitter custody battle, Basinger must have thought it was time to let go of the past. The animal rights activist auctioned off the ring at Christie's, along with other pieces, including a multi-gem necklace given to her by Baldwin, to raise money for the Performing Animal Welfare Society. The ring brought in an impressive $59, 750.

Ellen Barkin felt felt like something of a jewel in her marriage to billionaire investment guru Ron Perleman: "I was an accessory, being accessorized, the perfect one -- age-appropriate, the mother of two children, successful in her own right." Barkin reportedly got $40 million in her divorce from her husband but managed to squeeze another $20 million out of the jewelry given to her by her ex-husband after their difficult divorce. After six years of marriage, Ellen Barkin sold more than 100 pieces at Christie's New York. The trove also contained a 32-carat apricot diamond ring given to her by Perleman just weeks before the pair filed for divorce. Barkin's rationale: the pieces were "not memories [she] wanted to wear every day." She pocketed the cash from the sale.

After the public humiliation that Swedish former model Elin Nordegren endured, she evidently wanted to get as far away from memories of her life with Tiger Woods as possible. According to the National Enquirer she asked famed auction house Sotheby's to sell $2.5 million worth of diamonds, gold, and platinum--all gifts from her womanizing ex--after finalizing her reported $100 million divorce settlement with Woods.

Celebrity Divorce: Stars Who Sold Their Jewelry Post-Split

A*O

Fuck that - I'd keep the bling. Maybe not the engagement ring though which I'd probably give back or sell depending on how arseholey my ex had been.
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

I kept my engagement diamond to give to our daughter.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

JLo should have given back the diamond to Affleck since they were never married. That's the law too in most states (just watch Judge Judy a few times). And I think it's tacky and weird that he spent less than half on his current wife's engagement ring, but not really any of my business ... so .....

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    JLo should have given back the diamond to Affleck since they were never married. That's the law too in most states (just watch Judge Judy a few times). And I think it's tacky and weird that he spent less than half on his current wife's engagement ring, but not really any of my business ... so .....
    I think that's a reflection on the women. He knew J-Lo wouldn't be happy with a ring that was tasteful/simple... unlike his current wife.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I kept my engagement diamond to give to our daughter.
    I wrote it into our separation agreement that I would keep my jewelry to give to my daughter. I gave her my engagement ring for her 16th birthday, she wears it every day and it looks great on her - but it wasn't a traditional ring, it was his grandfather's love knot stick pin that they made into a ring.

For some reason, my mom gave hers back to my dad when they divorced and I believe he got high/coked up/drunk (it was the 70s, normal) climbed to the top of a bridge and threw them into the Cuyahoga River (which I don't think was on fire at the time).
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    From Googling, it's the law in around six states, including New York. But not in California. Maybe that's where he proposed? Personally, I would give it back, whoever called it off, but a lot of women think if he broke it off, they deserve to keep the ring.

I bet Jennifer Garner's ring is much more tasteful than J-Lo's rock. She doesn't seem like a gigantic diamond type of girl to me.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

so who's getting the proceeds from Liz's sale of her jewelry though, just curious....

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    so who's getting the proceeds from Liz's sale of her jewelry though, just curious....
    If you'd ACTUALLY read what was posted you'd see it is her AIDS foundation. Not hard.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    From Googling, it's the law in around six states, including New York. But not in California. Maybe that's where he proposed? Personally, I would give it back, whoever called it off, but a lot of women think if he broke it off, they deserve to keep the ring.
    As a starting point, I'd agree, but if a lot of planning has been done and deposits paid (many are nonrefundable) I think a women should probably get to keep the ring to offset losses if he breaks it off.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Barkin reportedly got $40 million in her divorce from her husband but managed to squeeze another $20 million out of the jewelry given to her by her ex-husband after their difficult divorce.
    Ellen made out like a bandit. Her ex gave some great presents.

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    Ellen made out like a bandit. Her ex gave some great presents.
    Yeah. That little billionaire had great taste in jewels.

But....
    Ellen Barkin Kept Gabriel Byrne’s Jewelry

"I kept every piece of jewelry he ever gave me," Ellen Barkin tells Alex Witchel, of first husband Gabriel Byrne, in this coming weekend's Times Magazine. If that doesn't sound like a veiled insult to you, then you don't remember when she made $20 million by auctioning off the more than 100 pieces of jewelry that former husband Ron Perelman gave her during their marriage. (Maybe you remember it when it was a subplot in the first Sex and the City movie?)

Barkin, who doesn't often give interviews, opened up to Witchel about the craziest stories that involve her.

The best moment in the piece — after the time when Witchel tells Barkin that her apartment smells like the Upper East Side, and Barkin frantically blows out every scented candle — is when Witchel asks about the time Barkin allegedly threw a drink in Perelman's face at the Waverly Inn:
    She sighed. “Do you want me to go jail?” she said. “Look, it’s a fact. It happened and it was in print. You know, I had a very bad time in high school, and all I thought about when I was a young actor was, How good am I going to have to be before they stop asking me what happened in high school? They didn’t. So finally I’d just say, ‘I’m 35 years old, I don’t want to talk about high school anymore.’ I look forward to the day when I’m not asked about this anymore.”
    Ellen, we promise not to ask you anything that will tempt you to throw a glass in our faces. But if you want to throw jewelry, we won't object.

Ellen Barkin Kept Gabriel Byrne’s Jewelry -- Daily Intel

....wouldn't we all keep Gabriel's jewelry?

^ I'd keep more than just his jewelry. I think if the guy calls off the engagement, you should be able to keep the ring. If the woman does, give it back. Divorcees should be able to keep their jewelry too. But selling it and then pocketing all the cash seems a bit tacky, too.

Mmmmm Gabriel Byrne

I don't want a ring, I want an engagement house in Hawaii!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Elite Member

I say reset it as a necklace. Pretty ans sparkley there, and not a reminder of 'him'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information