Thread: Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland and Charlie Chaplin Costumes to Be Sold at Auction

Default Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland and Charlie Chaplin Costumes to Be Sold at Auction

Marilyn Monroe sent men's hearts a-flutter when she stepped out of the cinema - and onto a Subway grate - in her beautiful white dress in The Seven Year Itch.
    And a movie memorabilia collector is giving you a chance to do the same - if you cough up a couple of million dollars first.
    The pleated halterneck dress is being sold in an auction of iconic film costumes and is expected to fetch up to $2 million.

Star lot: The Subway Dress, worn by Marilyn Monroe in The Seven Year Itch is expected to fetch up to 2 million

Other lots include Judy Garland's costume from The Wizard of Oz, Audrey Hepburn's Ascot dress from My Fair Lady and Julie Andrews' clothes from The Sound of Music.
    All belong to actress Debbie Reynolds who is selling off her entire memorabilia collection, of 3,500 items, in Beverly Hills on June 18.
    Reynolds, 79, who is Carrie Fisher's mother, starred in Singin' in the Rain and The Unsinkable Molly Brown, and has been buying old film costumes for more than 50 years.
    She got more serious about her collection in 1970 when MGM announced it was going to auction off everything except its properties.

Avid collector: Debbie Reynolds, who starred with Gene Kelly in Singin' in the Rain (right), is selling her impressive collection of movie costumes

The actress offered $5 million for all the costumes, scripts, props and music. But the Hollywood movie studio sold everything to an auctioneer for about the same price.
    So Reynolds bought selected items from them instead.
    Over the years she has collected items including the bowler hat Charlie Chaplin wore in Tramp and Barbra Streisand's sleeveless gold jeweled gown from Hello, Dolly -- said to be the most expensive dress ever made for a film.

Special memorabilia: Audrey Hepburn's iconic Ascot dress from My Fair Lady (left) and Barbra Streisand's Hello Dolly dress which cost more than $100,000 to make

But it is the 'subway dress' that is the star lot.
    The gown, designed by Travilla, is no longer quite as white as when Marilyn wore it. But has boning that was sewn in by hand to create a built-in bra.
    Reynolds' whole collection was supposed to be displayed in a museum but that project fell through, so she decided to sell the lot.

Red slippers and Do-Re-Mi dress: Shoes worn in The Wizard of Oz and the costume Julie Andrews sang and danced in in The Sound of Music

She said: 'I'm heartbroken. I don't want to see the collection broken up. It should stay intact.
    'It's a real shame but that's the way it's going to be.'
    The collection will be on view to the public at the Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills early next month.

Read more: Marilyn Monroe's subway dress set to fetch $2million | Mail Online

I can't imagine what Marilyn's dress will go for. Somewhere in the stratosphere, probably.

Love the subway dress and Barbra's dress too. Spectacular.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I can't imagine what Marilyn's dress will go for. Somewhere in the stratosphere, probably.
    DAMN I KNOW! wow, I need to be a millionaire already

love love LOVE HER!

I would kill to have that collection.

Free catalog of the collection for download:

http://www.profilesinhistory.com/deb...og-information

damnit, I could have seen a public preview! too fucking late now! or bought a catalog! I'm so pissed

oh well, they're just things, but I truly old Hollywood since I was a kid....

I'm a little confused about the ruby slippers? They look nothing like the ones Dorothy wore and the pair I saw at the Smithsonian didn't look anything like those pair, either.

^ those slippers look like the ones the Wicked Witch's sister was wearing when the house fell on her and her toes curled up, remember - and then they were magically transferred onto Dorothy by Glinda the good witch much to the chagrin of the Wicked Witch
    trivia: did you know the lady who played the good witch, Billie Burke was gay (or so I read in one of my books) and like in her mid-fifties when she played that part which is funny b/c she seemed so youthfully beautiful when I remember watching it as a kid...

wow she really had quite a collection too, I'm amazed ugh, I love all the female stars she had costumes off, its crazy and I feel like these things belong in a museum, no some private collection of an old douche

Marilyn Monroe subway dress sells for $4.6 million | Reuters

holy shit! Marilyn's dress went for $4.6 million, man that's crazy, what I would kill to try that dress on

Thread Information