Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Decoding "Hollywood Speak"

Default Decoding "Hollywood Speak"

We know we're experts here, but it's fun to see it published.

When Jimmy Kimmel served as master of ceremonies at this year's Publicists Guild Luncheon, he set the mood by asking the crowd in the Beverly Hilton Hotel ballroom to join him in saying grace, and proceeded to lead them in a prayer asking forgiveness for "all the lies we told to US Weekly last year, and those we will tell this year." Yes, of all occupations, celebrity publicists may now actually occupy the lowest rung on the veracity ladder. Thank goodness for the brave public relations professionals who try to play it as straight as possible with the community at large and with the press, but others, well, they brought this detestable designation on themselves. We're talking about the sort of folks who can say with a straight face that Whitney Houston played air piano and muttered bizarre statements throughout an interview because she'd been to the dentist and was on Novocain. Makes you wonder if the rep rushed to the next room and snickered privately after having dropped such a doozey. These very special PR people can say such things, because (a.) they are on retainer for a good five grand a month, and (b.) they are without shame.
    Knowing this, celebrity watchers can certainly benefit by keeping this guide to Hollywood Press Agent Speak handy:

HOSPITALIZED FOR EXHAUSTION:

The oldest dodge, and still, remarkably, in use. Such a statement might really mean that the celebrity in question was found curled in a fetal position in a bureau drawer, mumbling in Klingon after ingesting enough drugs to make an African bull elephant high. It might mean that the celebrity's anorexia problem has become so bad that children put a string around her waist and flew her at the park on a windy day. It might mean the celebrity went off to Africa to dry out, detox or attempt to find sanity. It might even mean he or she was hospitalized for exhaustion -- but whatever you do, don't put any money on the latter.

WE DON'T COMMENT ON OUR CLIENTS' PERSONAL LIVES: Really means, "Holy crud! You caught me completely unprepared and I'll have to go think up an explanation for what my client was doing," such as a client picking up a transvestite hooker on Santa Monica Boulevard in the middle of the night instead of being home with his wife. The pretentious-sounding "We don't comment on our clients' personal lives" line was used a month before their official split by a rep for Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow, with the rep adding, "but I can assure you that [breakup rumors are] totally false." Note: Always beware the words "I can assure you."

THEY HAVE A LOT OF RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER: "They loathe each other but each one has enough power to intimidate the other so they're sucking it up - for now." Can be used to pass off on-set catfights, such as when one actress gets a higher salary and then on top of it gets a better bathing suit and more important placement than her costars in a fashion magazine layout involving their hit show.

THEY HAVE A LOT OF RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER, II: "They have the hots for each other to such a degree that everyone else on the set wishes they'd take a cold shower." Used to dodge pesky inquiries about an on-set romance, especially when one or both stars are married.

THEY MAY HAVE THEIR DIFFERENCES, BUT THEY'RE LIKE A FAMILY: "A really, really hostile and dysfunctional family."

FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELVES: "You're right, but I'll be darned if I'm going to be the one who confirms it." A perfect example is Anna Nicole Smith's rep, Howard K. Stern, when he was asked by the Associated Press whether she was expecting, which, as we now know, she is, in the fall. He said: "If Anna Nicole is pregnant, she obviously doesn't want anybody to know yet. If she's not pregnant, she's not denying the rumor because she thinks it's funny how much of a stir it's causing. She'll leave it up to you to guess which one it is." Hey, thanks for clearing that up.

A MUTUALLY-AGREED UPON DEPARTURE DUE TO CREATIVE DIFFERENCES: Someone's being a jerk. The publicist might be thinking, "So what if the crew witnessed the director and star threatening each other's lives with Botox syringes, this is what my boss/client/legal department wants me to say." This standard line covers up all sorts of wars and warts. It could mean someone's refusing to talk, gotten fat, or won't come out of his trailer. You just never know. Recently, stylist Patricia Field (formerly of "Sex and the City) departed the production of "The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing," and the director and others chalked it up to the ol' creative differences. But not star Alec Baldwin. "When Pat left, virtually everybody on the film was relieved," he told the New York Daily News. ""She is a cranky, miserably unhappy woman, and I'm actually one of the few people on the set that actually gave Pat a chance." Now, there's some refreshing candor.

THEY'RE JUST GOOD FRIENDS: "They're getting it on at every opportunity." Think of all the couples whose publicists denied that they were even dating. Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake come to mind.

THERE IS NO TROUBLE IN THE MARRIAGE: "I will not admit there is trouble in the marriage." Billy Bob Thornton and Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Lopez and Cris Judd, Liza Minnelli and David Gest, and Tom Cruise and Penelope Cruz - their respective press agents denied trouble in their relationships.

THERE IS NO STORY: "There IS a story!" For example, about two months before they broke up, Richie Sambora and Heather Locklear issued a statement through their publicists, saying, "The real story is that there is no story...The truth is that after 11 years together, we are still happily married. Boring but true." Note: Watch out for statements that overuse the words "true" and "truth."

YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK: "Back! Back! You're getting too close!" By placing the onus on the media for daring to broach a forbidden subject, the press agent turns attention away from the client in trouble. This ploy was used for months by a rep for Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey as their marriage was crumbling, for example. His comments -- when asked about friction between the couple, their eyebrow-raising encounters with others, and their notable absences from each other - included: "I don't know what's worse, the people who make this stuff up or the fact that people believe it."

We don't know either. Let's just call it creative differences.

DECODING HOLLYWOOD-SPEAK - Netscape Celebrity

Recently, stylist Patricia Field (formerly of "Sex and the City) departed the production of "The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing," and the director and others chalked it up to the ol' creative differences. But not star Alec Baldwin. "When Pat left, virtually everybody on the film was relieved," he told the New York Daily News. ""She is a cranky, miserably unhappy woman, and I'm actually one of the few people on the set that actually gave Pat a chance." Now, there's some refreshing candor.

i love alec baldwin.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Me, too. He's too adorable and naturally funny to be such a cranky pants.

Kathy Griffin said on her tv show that "having dental work done" are the new code words for cosmetic surgery.

I saw this too...
    Hollywood Dictionary

• Verbs
      • To schmooze ... befriend scum
      • To pitch ... grovel shamelessly
      • To brainstorm ... feign preparedness
      • To research ... procrastinate indefinitely
      • To network ... spread misinformation
      • To collaborate ... argue incessantly
      • To freelance ... collect unemployment
    • Nouns
      • Agent ... frustrated lawyer
      • Lawyer ... frustrated producer
      • Producer ... frustrated writer
      • Writer ... frustrated director
      • Director ... frustrated actor
      • Actor ... frustrated human
    • Compound Words
      • High concept ... low brow
      • Production values1 ... gore
      • Production values2 ... explosions
      • Entry level ... pays nothing
      • Network approved ... has made them money before
      • Highly qualified ... blew the producer
    • Financial Terms
      • Net ... something that apparently doesn't exist
      • Gross ... Michael Eisner's salary
      • Back End ... you, if you think you'll ever see any
      • Residuals ... braces for the kids
      • Deferral ... don't hold your breath
      • Points ... see "-Net" or "-Back End"
    • Common Phrases
      • You can trust me ... You must be new
      • It needs some polishing ... Change everything
      • It shows promise ... It sucks
      • It needs some fine tuning ... Change everything
      • She got great press ... She'll never live down the embarrassment
      • I'd like some input ... I want total control
      • It needs some honing ... Change everything
      • Call me back next week ... Stay out of my life
      • It needs some tightening ... Change everything
      • Try and punch it up ... I have no idea what I want
      • It needs some streamlining ... Change everything
      • It's all up on the screen ... You'll never find the money I embezzled
      • You'll never work in this town again ... I have no power whatsoever

He's a pleasure to work with.... I get paid to say this.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I love the Hollywood dictionary!

Bronze Member

So-and-so are dating = one of two things. So-and-so are looking for some publicity, whether for a new movie or otherwise...OR one is in the closet and needs a cover. 3rd possibility is that the are actually dating- see explanation for "hospitalized due to exhaustion."

Please forgive me for sounding naive, but is it true that celebs and their agents/mangers/PR people etc. really read GR to see what we are saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie M View Post
    Please forgive me for sounding naive, but is it true that celebs and their agents/mangers/PR people etc. really read GR to see what we are saying?
    Yes Jackie M, yes it is.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Thanks MM. I once posted a rumor about a celeb that I read online. Someone answered my post and tried to set the record straight and seemed annoyed. That person had just joined GR answered only my post and then disappeared. I found it very strange.

That's weird, Jackie. Think of it this way, if they have a computer and a couple of brain cells, they'll find their way onto any or all of the blogs and gossip sites. If Paris Hilton and Tom Cruise want to know what people think of them, they should read here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    That's weird, Jackie. Think of it this way, if they have a computer and a couple of brain cells, they'll find their way onto any or all of the blogs and gossip sites. If Paris Hilton and Tom Cruise want to know what people think of them, they should read here.
    Thanks Chalet. Do you think any sites/newspapers etc. coming out of Hollywood are truthful or are they controlled by the celebs and their people? We hear that they hate the paps and then we hear they are secretly telling them where to show up. They want to be private, yet they live for publicity. I don't even believe the mainstream media anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie M View Post
    Thanks MM. I once posted a rumor about a celeb that I read online. Someone answered my post and tried to set the record straight and seemed annoyed. That person had just joined GR answered only my post and then disappeared. I found it very strange.
    Actually a number of people answered your post, not just the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Actually a number of people answered your post, not just the one.
    That is true. I did not say that person was the only one that responded. But the one I was referring to did join, post and then leave.

Thread Information