Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plus Size Super Models - Glamour magazine - November 2009

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    HUH? I so beg to defer! Most women do look like this. A good majority of us look like this...healthy.
    Question...why don't you consider thinner girls to be "healthy"? Don't you have a better chance of actually being healthy when you are at or around a recommended weight? I know that being thin doesn't all of a sudden make you healthy but being chubby doesn't either. I never understood tagging overweight people as healthy...it gives the wrong perception
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

The modeling industry wants people to think that looking like a walking bobble head is what most women look like and that is just not true. I didn't say that all thin women are unhealthy. Just the ones that model. I mean even they will admit that they don't eat! And I wouldn't say the women who are in this layout are chubby either.

^^I think that they all look good except for girl showing all the cellulite. The others look like their bodies are big but tight.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Yea, they aren't chubby

^For me, they are chubby, but not fat.
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Mab View Post
    They're beautiful but... honestly, what's the point of trying to bare it all? Aren't models supposed to be wearing clothes on?
    Because they're women and women are expected to be naked as much as possible for public consumption. We have more value that way apparently.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    Question...why don't you consider thinner girls to be "healthy"? Don't you have a better chance of actually being healthy when you are at or around a recommended weight? I know that being thin doesn't all of a sudden make you healthy but being chubby doesn't either. I never understood tagging overweight people as healthy...it gives the wrong perception
    Honestly, I think 'healthy' is the old school euphemism for fat, as 'curvy' is the current one. There is a tendency amongst overweight women to tell themselves that anything smaller than them is anorexic and that the only way slender women stay that way is by 'starving themselves'. Because apparently our only options are to either be a beanpole or as big as the side of a barn. Lots of fit, slender women eat just fine and still manage to keep weight gain at a minumum, they just don't stuff their faces with 2,000 calorie lattes and they know that smoothies aren't necessarily a healthy choice....and that no matter how few calories are in something, if you eat 20 portions of it it will be too much and show up on your ass. Fit women also tend to not look at exercise as a chore to be dreaded as much as scrubbing toilets with your toothbrush.

I happen to think the women in these pictures look lovely and I like that they own their sex appeal. However, keep in mind that these are still heavily airbrushed and these women are very likely to be much lumpier in person and their skin probably doesn't look so smooth either. All models are airbrushed. I also think that high end fashion designers really don't want average sized women wearing their clothes because keeping their lines more exclusive keeps them more prestigious....the harder something is to obtain, the more value it has to a lot of people and the more you can charge for it. I think they like the fact that only certain people can afford it, and those who can are likely to be the type that are high maintenance with their looks and very weight conscious.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Honestly, I think 'healthy' is the old school euphemism for fat, as 'curvy' is the current one. There is a tendency amongst overweight women to tell themselves that anything smaller than them is anorexic and that the only way slender women stay that way is by 'starving themselves'. Because apparently our only options are to either be a beanpole or as big as the side of a barn. Lots of fit, slender women eat just fine and still manage to keep weight gain at a minumum, they just don't stuff their faces with 2,000 calorie lattes and they know that smoothies aren't necessarily a healthy choice....and that no matter how few calories are in something, if you eat 20 portions of it it will be too much and show up on your ass. Fit women also tend to not look at exercise as a chore to be dreaded as much as scrubbing toilets with your toothbrush.

I happen to think the women in these pictures look lovely and I like that they own their sex appeal. However, keep in mind that these are still heavily airbrushed and these women are very likely to be much lumpier in person and their skin probably doesn't look so smooth either. All models are airbrushed. I also think that high end fashion designers really don't want average sized women wearing their clothes because keeping their lines more exclusive keeps them more prestigious....the harder something is to obtain, the more value it has to a lot of people and the more you can charge for it. I think they like the fact that only certain people can afford it, and those who can are likely to be the type that are high maintenance with their looks and very weight conscious.
    There's a tendency among smaller women to think that overweight women stuff their faces and drink smoothies...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    There's a tendency among smaller women to think that overweight women stuff their faces and drink smoothies...
    You're right....and that isn't always accurate either. However, once your weight gets out of hand, eating 'normally' isn't going to help you lose any of it. I also believe that sometimes peoples' weight is just genetic, whether it be a rail thin person or a bigger person. I've seen big women who are definitely full bodied, but they are still tight. I've seen fleshier women who exercise a lot and are actually healthy according to all their vitals. There is a man named Roy Nelson who is a UFC fighter that goes by the name "Big Country". He has the worst physique in professional sports but his cardio is strong and he can go the distance. He just won the Ultimate Fighter Championship. He is an experienced fighter and an excellent athlete, but most people his size aren't in his kind of shape. Also, there are plenty of 'skinny fat' girls who look healthy but aren't at all. They are weak with a high percentage of body fat and sometimes high BP and cholesterol. The insides don't always match the outsides, for sure.

Roy Nelson:

If the pic doesn't show up, look here:http://www.parcbench.com/wp-content/...oy-nelson1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Plus size models are usually smaller than actual plus size. Lane Bryant uses a size 12 for most things, but I've heard of them going smaller, like a 10. I've also read somewhere that plus size models can be as small as a size 8.
    That's scarey! I just looked online to see what a size 8 US is here in NZ, and it's a 10 - that's considered pretty small! My mum varies between an NZ 8-10 (US 6-8) and she's so petite! She's only about 110 pounds and 5'1".

I agree with all your comments 'Crumpet' and yes gr8 that they had this issue. However i want mags to actually start using larger models on a regular basis. Not just on the odd occasion; also i find it very irritating that when mags do use larger models. They are normally nakid or in underwear.

How about featuring them in designer clothing. Okay most designer stuff probably wouldn't come in their size...however there are plenty of stores and designers who stock larger sizes.

I agree they should have photoshopped the cottage cheese off that chicks ass, or not show it at all would have been better. Plus size models are still thin.. I tried to be a model once upon a time. I was 5'9 135 lbs, and I was told the only modeling I could do was plus sized modeling. Of course back then I took that to mean I was fat, but it really isn't.
    Somebody blow Mel Gibson Already- Michael K

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information