Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Natalie Portman - Teen Vogue - December 2007

  1. #16
    Silver Member Thalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    468

    Default

    I don't know Natalie at all and I'll state upfront that I think she's very pretty and quite accomplished for your average Hollywood actress. However, having said that, for a variety of reasons, her interviews irk me and I don't think she comes off well from them. She's probably cooler in person but in a number of interview situations, she's made some comments that I found pretentious, hypocritical and frequently not terribly intelligent. It's probably a case of just being less articulate with the media and lacking PR-saavy, but since that's all most of us will ever know of her, it's all the evidence we have to go on. And yes, frequently that evidence seems to point to her being a little full of herself and buying into the hyperbole of her PR way too much.
    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Miguel Cervantes, "Don Quixote"

  2. #17
    Hit By Ban Bus! Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere.
    Posts
    9,439

    Default

    I don't think she's any more full of herself than any other celeb. To be sure, I think she's far more likeable than most.

    But potato, potata.

  3. #18
    Silver Member Thalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Tomato, tomata
    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Miguel Cervantes, "Don Quixote"

  4. #19
    Elite Member Fluffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    I don't know Natalie at all and I'll state upfront that I think she's very pretty and quite accomplished for your average Hollywood actress. However, having said that, for a variety of reasons, her interviews irk me and I don't think she comes off well from them. She's probably cooler in person but in a number of interview situations, she's made some comments that I found pretentious, hypocritical and frequently not terribly intelligent. It's probably a case of just being less articulate with the media and lacking PR-saavy, but since that's all most of us will ever know of her, it's all the evidence we have to go on. And yes, frequently that evidence seems to point to her being a little full of herself and buying into the hyperbole of her PR way too much.
    I find it refreshing that a celebrity would choose to think for themselves and risk looking dumb than spouting predetermined PR drivel.

  5. #20
    Silver Member Thalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Yes, but it's even better when what an independent-minded celebrity says displays a sense of humour and a sense of perspective about his or her role as an entertainer (i.e., not playing the saviour of the Third World, matchless artiste, America's sweetheart, Second Coming of Christ, etc). Self-importance from actors and actresses is tiresome and probably best hidden behind elaborate PR. There are a number of beautiful and accomplished women who interview well and as a result, don't get called out on being pompous (think Cate Blanchett, Monica Bellucci, Jodie Foster, Charlize Theron, the list goes on...) Natalie just needs to work on showing a more human and more humble side of herself and I'm guessing accusations of pomposity or pretention will diminish by at least 50%.
    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Miguel Cervantes, "Don Quixote"

  6. #21
    Elite Member Fluffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    Yes, but it's even better when what an independent-minded celebrity says displays a sense of humour and a sense of perspective about his or her role as an entertainer (i.e., not playing the saviour of the Third World, matchless artiste, America's sweetheart, Second Coming of Christ, etc). Self-importance from actors and actresses is tiresome and probably best hidden behind elaborate PR. There are a number of beautiful and accomplished women who interview well and as a result, don't get called out on being pompous (think Cate Blanchett, Monica Bellucci, Jodie Foster, Charlize Theron, the list goes on...) Natalie just needs to work on showing a more human and more humble side of herself and I'm guessing accusations of pomposity or pretention will diminish by at least 50%.
    I disagree with you on Charlize. She's made quite a few foot-in-mouth remarks over the years whether you've heard them or not. However, the other three you mention--Blanchett, Bellucci and Foster--are all at least 10 years older than her, which puts them in a completely different stage of their lives than Natalie.

    She has mentioned in other interviews that being an actor isn't a serious job because most of her professors wanted her to not be an actress but have a "real" job. I don't think I've ever read an interview where she's been referred to as pompous. The only impression I have ever gotten is that she has always liked acting and has always wanted to continue with it. Futhermore, if she didn't interview well, then Fareed Zakaria of PBS' Foreign Exchange would never have had her on his show.
    Village Voice:Rise of Fareed Zakaria
    Although he exudes ambition—simultaneously editing a magazine, writing a weekly column, hosting a TV show, and writing a book—Zakaria refuses to infect his show with glitziness. Movie star Natalie Portman recently appeared on Foreign Exchange to riff on her pet cause, microfinancing in the third world. Most hosts would've been thrilled to nab an actor with crossover potential, but Zakaria agreed only on the condition that if she gave a vacuous interview, he could kill it. "It turned out she really knew her stuff, and it's an important issue that's not at all sexy. But I was still ambivalent, because I feel there's a reason to be a PBS show, and I don't want to lose that."

  7. #22
    Silver Member Thalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    468

    Default

    I still disagree, but I'm not up for writing an elaborate defense of my position - I have more than enough essays to deal with right now! Suffice it to say, I don't think people who say she comes off as pretentious all fall into the "U R just jealouz!!!111" category. But I like and embrace dissension in the ranks.
    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Miguel Cervantes, "Don Quixote"

  8. #23
    La vie en rose DitaPage*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    37,547

    Default

    she's certainly more gorgeous and more interesting than the red x's i'm seeing.

  9. #24
    Silver Member ahtaste777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    ^Um, nice attitude. Jealous much? God.

    My advisor is one of my best friends. He told me about this student and all the crap he gets as Natalie Portman's best friend. He likes Natalie a lot. If you like, I will call him on the phone right now and YOU can ask him.

    I did work at Harvard, and ran into Natalie a few times, and she was gracious and sweet.

    I can see how one would be jealous. She's naturally beautiful, she's intelligent, she's educated, she's cute, and.....I guess that makes someone a pretentious bitch.
    Jealous of Natalie Portman, or that you have a friend who met her ooooooooh? Either way - get a life.
    Why do I give a shit about what your friend thinks - I originally said she SEEMED to be that way to me.
    You're such a waste of my time, angry little thing aren't you - back at you!

  10. #25
    Elite Member LaFolie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    floating...
    Posts
    6,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahtaste777 View Post
    Oh yeah you totally know her personally .
    Someone needs to let off steam... angry much? dissatisfied with your life?
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

  11. #26
    Silver Member Thalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahtaste777 View Post
    Jealous of Natalie Portman, or that you have a friend who met her ooooooooh? Either way - get a life.
    Why do I give a shit about what your friend thinks - I originally said she SEEMED to be that way to me.
    You're such a waste of my time, angry little thing aren't you - back at you!
    Okay, this is getting out-of-hand. I was originally trying to defend your position, but when you make personal attacks like this, you lose credibility. I think we're all here to gossip, have fun and be part of a supportive community and when comments start to get aggressive and insulting, it ruins it for everyone. I suggest we all just declare a ceasefire on this issue because it's going nowhere and starting to descend into pettiness.
    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Miguel Cervantes, "Don Quixote"

  12. #27
    Elite Member Soth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    bouncy marshmallow man runs through the all purveying cloud of bitchy........weeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeee

  13. #28
    Silver Member Thalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Yay! I really like that little guy.
    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Miguel Cervantes, "Don Quixote"

  14. #29
    Silver Member ahtaste777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFolie View Post
    Someone needs to let off steam... angry much? dissatisfied with your life?
    Oh wow it's like you know me. You're very intuitive.

  15. #30
    Silver Member ahtaste777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    Okay, this is getting out-of-hand. I was originally trying to defend your position, but when you make personal attacks like this, you lose credibility. I think we're all here to gossip, have fun and be part of a supportive community and when comments start to get aggressive and insulting, it ruins it for everyone. I suggest we all just declare a ceasefire on this issue because it's going nowhere and starting to descend into pettiness.
    No absolutely -I agree with you - I come here from time to time to gossip, not to get in petty arguments about celebs we don't know. That person is just holding a grudge from a past discussion. I will just block her and avoid those levels.
    Fire is ceased !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Natalie Portman - InStyle - December 2007
    By AuGusT in forum Magazines and Photoshoots
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 17th, 2007, 08:37 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: November 15th, 2007, 06:32 PM
  3. Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen - Teen Vogue - December/January 2006
    By wheelbarrow in forum Magazines and Photoshoots
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: January 4th, 2007, 04:21 AM
  4. Natalie Portman - Vogue - March 2006
    By muchlove in forum Magazines and Photoshoots
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 24th, 2006, 12:32 PM
  5. Natalie Portman - Vogue Germany November 2005
    By SVZ in forum Magazines and Photoshoots
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 1st, 2005, 11:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •