Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Meghan Markle - Cover of TATLER - May 2018 Issue

A couple people here touched on something that does make me kind of nostalgic when I see Markle in this family. Way back when, Mrs. Mo was an exotic, melanin-enhanced person who was dropped into our lily-white gene pool. And it did make everything better. The food, the music, the ability to dance, and even the ability to spawn children who could go out in the sun.

But Markle is entering into a family that rejected Diana as being too non-traditional. So, I guess it would be unrealistic to get our hopes up too much.
    A*O, Daphodil, Waterslide and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I can understand why the younger generation royals want to drag the whole institution into this century but nothing will change until the previous generations have died out. And even then I'm not convinced. It's naive and unrealistic to think/hope that bringing a divorced biracial Hollywood ingenue into the gene pool is going to do the trick. The only reason dumb Harry is being allowed to make this huge mistake is because William has secured the line of succession with 3 kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by arie_skop View Post
    They are really confident that Meghan will change the Royals lol I doubt it, not with the Queen, Charles and Camilla still around. Meghan is a newcomer, she will have to follow their rules.
    What's to change about the royal family? Chuck and Cam are stodgy and stuffy and he always was. Wills has all the makings of a good royal with a touch of modernity thrown in and Kate has watered herself down from how she first presented herself, so she's old school too. All that mother of the future king stuff is showing. They're the royals and only her Majesty excites me. My last thrill was the Queen and Prime Minister Justie having a meeting together.

Does anyone know why the person that set them up thought they'd be good together?

AO - I'm thinking they'll be a baby pretty soon. Um, so? And then? Oy.
    darksithbunny likes this.

Everyone is predicting this tragic end. I'm just a wait and see person. I've seen nothing so far to make me think that this isn't a love match or that they aren't going to live happily ever after. Just because she's an African American actress seems to be the biggest reason that people see. Honestly public opinion is the only thing that probably matters to the royals. So as long as the public keeps ea ting it up and they draw huge crowds they will be fine.

I don't really get the whole African American thing because I thought the British royal family had a bit of African in their gene pool to start with? But I get that's not the same as an American actress who happens to be biracial...

How in the fucking hell is that Princess Eugenie? I had to look at that picture like 5 times because I was like...who? Must be some earlier work of Angelina's photoshop team.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^^I was gonna add the same thing about Eugenie. That photographer is awesome. She should hire him for her wedding
    Waterslide likes this.

This current generation of Wills, Kate, Harry and Meghan are going to be in their 50s, 60s and beyond by the time Charles and Camilla hand over the reins to them so I can't see anything changing at all.
    arie_skop likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I can understand why the younger generation royals want to drag the whole institution into this century but nothing will change until the previous generations have died out. And even then I'm not convinced. It's naive and unrealistic to think/hope that bringing a divorced biracial Hollywood ingenue into the gene pool is going to do the trick. The only reason dumb Harry is being allowed to make this huge mistake is because William has secured the line of succession with 3 kids.
    Wow. That's harsh
    Coffee is my happy drug

Tatler is trolling. Meghan will not change a thing about that family.
    arie_skop and effie2 like this.
    When you came in the air went out. And every shadow filled up with doubt. I don't know who you think you are, But before the night is through,I wanna do bad things with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    What's to change about the royal family? Chuck and Cam are stodgy and stuffy and he always was. Wills has all the makings of a good royal with a touch of modernity thrown in and Kate has watered herself down from how she first presented herself, so she's old school too. All that mother of the future king stuff is showing. They're the royals and only her Majesty excites me. My last thrill was the Queen and Prime Minister Justie having a meeting together.

Does anyone know why the person that set them up thought they'd be good together?

AO - I'm thinking they'll be a baby pretty soon. Um, so? And then? Oy.
    They genuinely get along, have a similar sense of humor, they're at an age where they want similar things? His friends like her since they set him up with her, the "key people" in his life did not try to discourage the relationship. She could be a nice person and not the character the DM is portraying her to be. Or, maybe Harry is not the person people think he is...
    Lalasnake likes this.
    When you came in the air went out. And every shadow filled up with doubt. I don't know who you think you are, But before the night is through,I wanna do bad things with you.

A*O

If Harry was in the direct line of succession like his older brother I guarantee this marriage wouldn't happen. Yes, the RF has relaxed a lot of rules and will no doubt continue to do so, especially once HMQ has departed, but so much of this traditional mindset is ingrained in their DNA (and that of their stuffy courtiers) it's going to take a very long time.

As for Harry being "misunderstood" I think it's pretty simple. He's a lost little boy who is desperate for a loving mother figure after losing his own sainted mother when he was at a very vulnerable age. Basically he gets what he wants no matter how unwise.

There are a lot of parallels to the sad story of Edward VIII who was forced to abdicate in order to marry American divorcee Wallis Simpson who enjoyed the glitz and glamour of the royal "lifestyle" but found herself stranded with a needy, fairly dumb, insecure man/child who wouldn't let her out of his sight.
    darksithbunny and arie_skop like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I still don’t understand what you think is so 'unwise' about this wedding, other than the fact that it’s a slight departure from tradition.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

Unwise because it's likely to end in tears for everyone involved. I know marriage is always a gamble but this one is already under relentless and intrusive scrutiny. Maybe a TV starlet can handle it better than most but it's still enormous pressure such a high profile, high stakes marriage.
    darksithbunny and arie_skop like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I don't see Meghan as a 'mother figure.' I mean, she can play a part but she's not really like that. However, I don't see Harry being as pathetic as Edward V111 who had numerous married mistresses before Wallis who was just the one he got when that game of musical chairs happened to stop. Anyone who could mother him would have served that purpose and I don't see it being as bad for Harry. What I think is that they will both have Diana's infamous 'crowded' marriage and maybe they can both put up with it for different reasons and maybe they can't. We will see.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Unwise because it's likely to end in tears for everyone involved. I know marriage is always a gamble but this one is already under relentless and intrusive scrutiny. Maybe a TV starlet can handle it better than most but it's still enormous pressure such a high profile, high stakes marriage.
    Then what woman do you propose he marry?

He tried it with a wealthy, blonde African girl and she said no way. She couldn’t cope with the media intrusion and scrutiny.

He tried it with a British, blonde aristocrat and she said no way. She could not cope with media and scrutiny.

With Meghan, he found someone who wants him and can cope with media harassment and scrutiny.
    greysfang likes this.

I don't think Harry will live under the same scrutiny as his mother. Yes he's famous and hordes show up to snap a pic but he's too far down the line now for the stodgy types to get too worked up about what he does. He's just fodder for the public. As long as she can hang with the fame (bet she can) and comply with tradition just enough, they should be fine. Or at least, implode on their own like the good lord intended.

I also don't think she will have one bit of influence on the RF. She is nobody. She's marrying a Prince where much is not expected. She has zero influence.
    sputnik and Brando like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information