Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lana Del Rey Billboard January 2012

Busy ignoring us. That's where.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I've really gone off her after I saw her live tv performances and then some excuse about her mind was elsewhere. Um, a performer is meant to be present in the performance or why should the audience be?

I know nothing about her music, I just love that top they've put on her.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

SNL performance of "Video Games", I think:

[YOUTUBE]9zrvD-o8cII[/YOUTUBE]

Went shopping with my Mum to buy my Dad some new pjs whilst he is in hospital and I picked up her album. I'll let you know what I think. I don't have to like her to enjoy her music, so all the furore over her manufactured image doesn't bother me. Don't have to see her lips or hear her denials about her collagen use when I listen to her CD.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Maybe she sucks live because it's actually someone else's voice on the CD.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Maybe she sucks live because it's actually someone else's voice on the CD.
    Don't ruin the dream twitchy!!!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I finally watched that clip I honestly don't see whats that bad about it?
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by Air Quotes View Post
    I finally watched that clip I honestly don't see whats that bad about it?
    For me, it's the two-note vocal range. And don't get me started about her mustache!

DAP

I didnt think it was as bad as the media made it out to be. Brian Williams can go fuck himself.

Yeah for some reason, this one has really pissed off the bloggers. From what I get, the distraught hipsters embraced her as one of their own and when she came out with a new look, name, attitude, etc, they completely turned on her and started ripping her a new one. I haven't quite figured out how she's much different from the Gagas, but whatever, I"m a consumer, I'm not supposed to wonder too much.

This one is slightly less "WTF" than the SNL performance, but she's still all over the shop and the duck lips give her a bit of a speech impediment (aside from the forced cutesy voice and the high notes she so can't hit). But I really love the album version of this song and "Born to Die" so I need to stop watching these shitty live performances:

[YOUTUBE]IOP2Yd_jpYQ[/YOUTUBE]
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

She sucks at singing. Don't get the fuss about her or her music either.
    **Say Auf Wiedersehen to your NAZI Balls**

i think it would be fine if they just marketed her for the masses. but because they tried to sell her as something 'real' and as a singer with substance, it backfired. also, have you heard the chick speak in interviews? i swear, she sounds mentally challenged.

i think this reviewer summed up the album pretty well, and touches on the sexism of a lot of the criticism directed at del rey while still remarking on her total lack of substance:

The album's point of view-- if you could call it that-- feels awkward and out of date. Whether you take a line like "Money is the reason we exist/ Everybody knows that it's a fact/ Kiss kiss" with a 10-carat grain of salt is up to you, but even as a jab at the chihuahua-in-Paris-Hilton's-handbag lifestyle, it feels limp and pointless (unlike, say, Lily Allen's mock-vapid but slyly observant 2008 single "The Fear"). Still, the dollar signs in its eyes aren't an inherent strike against Born to Die: Even in the wake of an international debt crisis and the Occupy movement, it was hard not to fall for Watch the Throne. But that's because Jay and Kanye made escapist fantasy sound so fun. Del Rey's gem-encrusted dreamworld, meanwhile, relies on clichés ("God you're so handsome/ Take me to the Hamptons") rather than specific evocations. It's a fantasy world that makes you long for reality.

And speaking of fantasy: The conversation surrounding Lana Del Rey has underscored some seriously depressing truths about sexism in music. She was subjected to the kind of intense scrutiny-- about her backstory and especially her appearance-- that's generally reserved for women only. But the sexual politics of Born to Die are troubling too: You'd be hard pressed to find any song on which Del Rey reveals an interiority or figures herself as anything more complex than an ice-cream-cone-licking object of male desire (a line in "Blue Jeans", "I will love you till the end of time/ I would wait a million years," sums up about 65% of the album's lyrical content). Even when Del Rey offers something that could be read as a critique ("This is what makes us girls/ We don't stick together 'cause we put our love first"), she asks that we make no effort to change, escape, or transcend the way things are ("Don't cry about it/ Don't cry about it.") In terms of its America-sized grandeur and its fixation with the emptiness of dreams, Born to Die attempts to serve as Del Rey's own beautiful, dark, twisted fantasy, but there's no spark and nothing at stake.

The critic Ellen Willis once wrote of Bette Midler: "Blatant artifice can, in the right circumstances, be poignantly honest, and she expresses the tension between image and inner self that all of us-- but especially women-- experience." But Born to Die never allows tension or complexity into the mix, and its take on female sexuality ends up feeling thoroughly tame. For all of its coos about love and devotion, it's the album equivalent of a faked orgasm-- a collection of torch songs with no fire.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information