Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 45 of 45

Thread: Jennifer Lopez - LATINA - October 2006

  1. #31
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calimaster View Post
    It seems whatever man Jennifer Lopez is with at the time, that is who she is. When she was with P. Diddy, she represented herself as hip hop, when she was with Ben she wanted to appeal to the mainstream white Americans and the only reason she is representing herself as a true Latina now, is because she is with Marc Anthony.
    Exactly. A lot of people feel that way (from both latinos and non-latinos). That sentiment has been expressed many times before and I couldn't have said it better myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post


    It's a joke that J.Lo markets herself as a latina when the only latin thing about her is her skin and her last name. As a latina myself, I resent that she is supposed to represent my general background. But while it's true that she's never going to be able to speak with a perfect Spanish accent at this age, she could at least try to have her verb tenses agree. That's just laziness IMO.
    Thank you! Nice to see that there are people with some reasoning here who feel the same way and aren't blinded by sheer adoration for a celebrity.

    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    Exactly. A lot of people feel that way (from both latinos and non-latinos). That sentiment has been expressed many times before and I couldn't have said it better myself.


    Thank you! Nice to see that there are people with some reasoning here who feel the same way and aren't blinded by sheer adoration for a celebrity.

    And by the way, Stargirl, the moderators have been notified of the nasty private message you sent me tonight. That's not what private messages are for, to be harrassing other members. You are crazy...are you a stalker or something? What is your problem? Now you have to resort to name-calling via PM and sending private messages? Are you okay? Jesus fricken Christ, don't you have other things to worry about? For 'not liking Jennifer Lopez', you are absolutely flipping out over this whole thing. Who do you think you're fooling? Have I shaken your foundation, totally rattled your nerves? Why are you over there fuming? Over Jennifer Lopez? Wow. Over a woman you 'can't stand' and who you say is a real slut, huh? You send nasty PM to people who don't particularly think highly of her, but hey, you're not a J.Lo fan, right? Yeah, okay, that makes real sense.

    You say you're a linguist, that you know 4 languages and now you're sending me messages saying you're an 'English teacher'. Hmmm, funny how your profile says you're still a student and still working on an occupation. Straight from the horse's mouth. Case closed.

    Now about my errors, I was at work when I wrote those posts and didn't have time to fix my typos. So don't call me dump or stupid in your little nasty messages. You're grasping at straws here because you have nothing else to say..I work and I'm don't have time to re-read everything before I send it. I have my breaks and lunch, therefore, I'm not thinking of impressing you when I write them. I'm in a hurry. I'm pressed for time. People who have JOBS do that. I'm getting the point out as fast as I can while I have the time. I'm not writing to the President of the United States here. This isn't the S.A.T. or an essay for a college class. This is a chat board. HELLLLOOOOO!!! And my first language is Spanish. If my typos seem to reflect something else, that I don't know English well, then you know what, I'll proudly wear that badge. But you're wrong. Think whatever you want. Your thoughts don't phase me to the point that I feel I need to send you nasty messages saying you're stupid, that you're fat or you don't know English. So quit sending me your nasty messages. Not needed. Totally childish.

    And by the way, speaking of your private message, I'm NOT fat, just because I said I wanted to lose weight on another thread doesn't mean I'm overweight so your nasty little message regarding my weight is also incorrect. I want to lose weight because I want to be thinner. Does wanting to lose weight before the holidays now somehow mean that I'm obese? How about being responsible and thinking ahead so I won't gain weight during the holiday season? It's called planning, dear. During the holidays a lot of people gain weight and then feel like crap afterwards. I'm aware of this and don't want to feel that way. That's why I want to lose...laziness creeps in....we slack off...and I'm not willing to go down like that. This sort of thinking my entire life has kept me from being fat. Is that a problem for you? And even if I was 200 lbs or 300 lbs, keep in mind that there are heavy people on this board. Even if I was a super obese person, is that all of a sudden 'ammunition' to get even because you have a bone to pick over a post? You need to seriously get a grip.

    You have been blocked on my end so don't bother sending me more nasty private messages. You're officially on my ignore list as of right now. Get out of the sandbox. If you can't act civilized then I have no use for you. Be mature. But that might be asking for a little too much.

    I'll let the moderators deal with you.
    Last edited by PrettyGirl; September 19th, 2006 at 12:48 AM.

  2. #32
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Andalucia, in the south of SPAIN!!
    Posts
    120

    Default

    I wrote a longer message earlier but it was deleted when the thread was locked. For the record, it was about 4am when I sent the PM, I was up writing a paper, I was tired and I can see now it was in poor judgment. I was not stalking you in any way - I saw your message in the other forum and the spelling mistakes just jumped out at me. I just thought it was funny since you act so superior about your language abilities and had the nerve to criticize mine, with no basis. It was all in jest and intended as a mild jibe, nothing more, nothing less. I have better things to do than go through all your posts and attack your character, I don't care. In Spain we are good as taking it as well as we dish it out. If someone had pointed out a pile of spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes to me after I had just criticised someone else, I'd laugh. All I was trying to do is point out that it ISN'T so easy to write and speak a language perfectly. I normally couldn't care less but when you go around with a superior attitude, you're asking for it. I can see now how the PM may have been viewed as harrassment, but that wasn't my intention at all. I would have posted it on that thread, but it was totally off topic. I didn't write anything I wouldn't have written for all to see.

    And the reason I am posting is to dispute your claim that I attacked your weight. My post about your English was a mild jibe, but the one about your weight was serious. I wasn't mocking you at all, and nothing in my message was mean. I see now that it could be taken as sarcasm, but it honestly wasn't intended that way. Your claim that I called you fat is totally untrue because I did nothing of the sort. You asked for links to weight loss pages, I sent one and told you good luck, and I hope you manage to lose some weight. It was 100% genuine. Any offense you may have taken was due to your reaction, not my words. I am overweight myself, I have lost some weight but am FAR from skinny, and have been teased more than a few times because of my weight. So the LAST thing I would do is pick on someone else. I feel bad that you took it that way, because it certainly wasn't what I intended and I resent very much that you are accusing me of such a thing. I apologise if it came across as mocking or something, but my intentions were genuine, I can't stress that enough. I would NEVER, ever use a person's weight, looks or anything else against them. I just wouldn't do that, never have and never will.

    Once again I apologise for my poor judgment on sending the PM. I now see it could have been seen as harrassment and I'm sorry about that. But I maintain that I said nothing wrong to you. You were the one who started with the personal insults, calling me a liar with no basis and making assumptions about me. Don't tell me that isn't childish, or against forum rules. I did retaliate in the same way, and regret that now. I shouldn't have got so riled up about such a ridiculous argument. I thought that since you are so willing to dish out your insults and assumptions you might be a good sport about taking a little goodnatured jibe back without crying about it. I was wrong, and I won't make that mistake again. There obviously isn't such a clear line between a dig and personal harrassment and I know now to be totally clear and reread my messages before I send them. I felt I had to defend myself and I'm done now. I have apologised for my poor judgment in sending the PM - it WAS childish and I should have let it go. In the future I will not be sucked into pointless fights, life is too short.

  3. #33
    Super Moderator NoDayButToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,334

    Default

    The post wasn't deleted, none have been deleted from this thread. The only thing that could have happened was if you tried to post after the thread was closed, then you would have been unable to do that.

  4. #34
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Andalucia, in the south of SPAIN!!
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Yup think it was that

  5. #35
    Gold Member glamazon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,074

    Default

    English is my first language, and I still can't understand many British or Australian people...the accent is so different, as well as their vernacular, that they might as well be speakign another language.
    Talent Works, Genius Creates

  6. #36
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Andalucia, in the south of SPAIN!!
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Really? I speak English with an English accent since my mother is from there and I've never had any problems understanding other native English speakers. American English can be pretty different vocabulary wise but it's not too difficult to guess what words mean in their context. I remember watching a movie when I was young and the word 'faucet' was used - I'd never heard it before! But it was clear from the movie what it meant. The worst I think is the New Zealand accent because the vowels are different and it takes a moment to get used to it. They say 'pin' instead of 'pen' and 'thun' instead of 'thin' and 'eppel' for 'apple'!

  7. #37
    Hit By Ban Bus! ediebrooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In another dimension, untouched by time
    Posts
    6,830

    Default

    Hmm, I always wish I spoke several languages.

  8. #38
    Gold Member glamazon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,074

    Default

    it's the whole flow of speech - I've started watching a lot of shows on BBC, and sometimes characters have accetns I can't penetrate. It's like how mandarin and cantonese are both uner the chinese language, but neither of them can understand each other, partly because of accent and words.
    Talent Works, Genius Creates

  9. #39
    Elite Member moomies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough
    Posts
    15,515

    Default

    Mandarin and Cantonese are linguistically distinguished as seperate languages though (at least that's what my Mandarin prof at uni told me). It's not just the accent, grammar is considerably different, not to mention the characters.

    If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

  10. #40
    Super Moderator NoDayButToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glamazon View Post
    it's the whole flow of speech - I've started watching a lot of shows on BBC, and sometimes characters have accetns I can't penetrate. It's like how mandarin and cantonese are both uner the chinese language, but neither of them can understand each other, partly because of accent and words.
    I agree with this. I'm generally very good with understanding accents, but some of the BBC shows take me awhile to latch onto. Every time I try to watch the British version of The Office, it takes me about 5 minutes to tune into the accent and be able to fully understand them (and every so often I still miss something).

  11. #41
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Andalucia, in the south of SPAIN!!
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Well the thing with British accents is that there are so many. Accents in different states in the US vary very little compared to in Britain. Aside from the English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish accents, which are all completely different, there are hundreds of different accents just in England. Two towns less than 40 miles apart can have completely different accents (i.e, Manchester and Liverpool). So when you're watching a British TV show, there is a high chance the characters talk not only differently to you, but to each other. I'm so used to it I barely notice, but I guess it would be pretty weird to someone who wasn't British.

  12. #42
    Elite Member olivia720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    10,886

    Default

    I can't deny that this woman has amazing star quality.

  13. #43
    Elite Member OoOitzCathyOoO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,556

    Default

    she looks good~ I sometimes hate her but sometimes love her as well.

  14. #44
    Elite Member JamieElizabeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose, California, United States
    Posts
    2,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    Her spanish is NOT okay!!


    All I'm saying is that it's hilarious to market yourself a certain way and you don't even know the language. Like if I'd say I'm 'I'm a proud French woman' and I don't know how to speak the language.
    The thing is, THAT NOT BEING FLUENT probably didn't hurt her in the US; where speaking ENGLISH is prevalent, she is perfect or was perfect for the market here at that time that she rose to fame. All the "latinos" loved her then, she's very adaptable in their view.

    *Note: Latino is not to be derogatory, but given the context that it had the best meaning for. "Latino" meaning someone trying to adapt QUICKLY into American/English culture.
    Last edited by JamieElizabeth; October 12th, 2006 at 09:38 AM.

  15. #45
    Elite Member sophie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Jet settin in NewYork
    Posts
    2,915

    Default

    i love jlo shes my all time fav even dare i say it, above angie.
    "I'll probably just end up in some seedy bar with some seedy blonde"-some random Englishman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Jennifer Love Hewitt - OK Magazine - October 2, 2006
    By wheelbarrow in forum Magazines and Photoshoots
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: November 28th, 2006, 01:29 PM
  2. Jennifer Love Hewitt - Giant - October- November 2006
    By Mirik in forum Magazines and Photoshoots
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 15th, 2006, 03:48 AM
  3. Jennifer Lopez - Lux Shampoo Japan - 2006
    By SVZ in forum Magazines and Photoshoots
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 10th, 2006, 02:26 PM
  4. J.Lo By Jennifer Lopez SS - Ad Campaign - 2006
    By EDISON27 in forum Magazines and Photoshoots
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 7th, 2006, 09:02 PM
  5. Jennifer Lopez at the compound gym (03/03/2006)
    By LunaShar in forum Photo Archive
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 7th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •