Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Evans - GQ - July 2011

Me likey!!!
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    GQ's covers have been reeking of blandness for the past couple of years. They used to be hot at one time, almost like a male version of Vogue. The personalities of the subjects would be captured so well. Not so much these days. Maybe 'cause the background is the same for all of the pictures - white. There is a sameness to all of the covers regardless of the cover subject.
    ^yeah, it's sad because I remember they used to have great covers and they never looked exactly the same from one month to the next. I think this same standard goes for almost all magazines right now, the lack of quality and input into the photography. The white background does not look sleek, it just makes everyone on the magazine look generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    ^yeah, it's sad because I remember they used to have great covers and they never looked exactly the same from one month to the next. I think this same standard goes for almost all magazines right now, the lack of quality and input into the photography. The white background does not look sleek, it just makes everyone on the magazine look generic.
    ^^So true. Maybe it's a budget thing? So many mags are losing money and readers to the Internet.

Plus, there don't seem to be too many great photographers out there anymore. Scavullo, Avedon and Ritts are gone. No one else takes interesting pics like they did.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

^^So true. Maybe it's a budget thing? So many mags are losing money and readers to the Internet.

Plus, there don't seem to be too many great photographers out there anymore. Scavullo, Avedon and Ritts are gone. No one else takes interesting pics like they did.
    This is true regarding the great photographers. They used to put a lot of work into the setting, the lighting, capturing people. Now it's just either people in a field or a barn or people in an office building or people with a plain background. It might really be an actual budget thing where they don't take the time to find the right settings or the right photographers (like they don't want to pay anyone who can make an amazing photo)?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    This is true regarding the great photographers. They used to put a lot of work into the setting, the lighting, capturing people. Now it's just either people in a field or a barn or people in an office building or people with a plain background. It might really be an actual budget thing where they don't take the time to find the right settings or the right photographers (like they don't want to pay anyone who can make an amazing photo)?
    Here are some older covers from the 70s and 80s...IMO, a lot more diverse and interesting.

Compared to more recent ones:

I guess with men's mags, folks are more interested in WHO is on the cover, rather than how their hair is styled, what they are wearing. Makeup is not an issue either (although I imagine airbrushing is).
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

He looks like a mannequin.
    They say it's the good girls who keep diaries. The bad girls never have the time. Me, I just wanna live a life I'm gonna remember even if I don't write it down. -
    Tallulah Bankhead

I can't get over how thin his legs are compared to the rest of his body.

Here are some older covers from the 70s and 80s...IMO, a lot more diverse and interesting.

Compared to more recent ones:

I guess with men's mags, folks are more interested in WHO is on the cover, rather than how their hair is styled, what they are wearing. Makeup is not an issue either (although I imagine airbrushing is).
    ita with what you said, BITTER. The old covers had some character, I love the profile of photo #1.. and I think I remember seing the second one before for some reason. The new pictures are all the same exact picture with slightly different features. It is only about who is on the cover instead of being about fashion, and the clothes and poses do not have anything to do with the celebrity they dress up and put on those things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information