Thread: GQ - The 50 Most Stylish Men - October 2007

Default GQ - The 50 Most Stylish Men - October 2007

From their 50th Anniversary Edition - Slideshow

GQ: The 50 Most Stylish Men: GQ Features on men.style.com

(Yes, he's there HWBL) And Redford is on the cover.

Many classic men, some with offbeat style, and then they threw it Pete Doherty.

Although I personally don't think his walk can be
    typified as a "swagger", or that his smile says
    "yeah, I know I look good", I'm not going to disagree
    with them that he belongs on that list
    And to think that one of his best friends, Dustin
    Hoffman, commented on the impression Warren
    gave him back in 1985 when they became really
    close: "He is the worst dressed man I have ever
    seen!"

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

^^ hehehe

"Underdressing is the only sin. You should never be afraid to be the best-dressed man in the room." (From GQ).

that's a great list. and i'm so glad they didn't put tom ford in it. he's overrated.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    ^^ hehehe

"Underdressing is the only sin. You should never be afraid to be the best-dressed man in the room." (From GQ).
    Hehehe, I bet you find his outfit from Ishtar with the Icehat
    the most "stylish", huh?
    BTW: look at Jack's eyebrows in that little picture! Holy moly!

***** celeb

I enjoyed that, that was a great read. I loved all the old style pictures.

A bald head is always better than a balding head-Jordan taught us this, and everyone from Bruce Willis to Mark Messier has proved it so.
    Thats a good one.

My favorites

Marlon Brando
    Marlon Brando is remembered as a man of the ’50s and ’70s: Before 1960 he played Stanley Kowalski and Terry Malloy, enraptured a young James Dean (who copied him ever after), and transformed the humble T-shirt from underwear to outerwear; after 1969 he was Kurtz and Corleone before retiring into a mysterious Tahitian fatness and becoming America’s greatest public enigma. Brando’s ’60s are forgotten. They shouldn’t be; it was then that Brando came into his own as a man. Beatnik rebellion gave way to grown-up purposefulness and a more serene, suited look as Brando took his act offscreen, involving himself in the Native American and civil rights movements. In this role, Brando achieved a look of effortless power and bull-like grace. His body, broad and with brooding kinetics, carried a suit like no other man’s.

Paul Newman
    During the 1950s and ’60s, the early years of a career that spanned more than half a century, Paul Newman did his best on-screen work in a tight undershirt and slacks. This ensemble, which was often accessorized by a cigarette and a glass of bourbon (preferably J.T.S. Brown, neat), was tailor-made for the collection of misfits, hustlers, and broken-down drunks that Newman immortalized. Offscreen, Newman was thoughtful, dignified, decent—a family man. He may have represented the ideal of what a man should look like in a tuxedo, but he was at his best in a V-neck sweater or an oxford cloth button-down shirt and plain-front trousers. According to Newman’s publicist and friend of more than fifty years, Warren Cowan, “After Paul won the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award in 1993, he had a bonfire with his tuxedo because he said he never wanted to wear a black tie again. Shortly after, he gave away his entire wardrobe. He’s down to just a few pairs of slacks and cords, a few shirts and sweaters. He says his life is much simpler. He’s much happier.”

Robert Redford
    Take away the matinee-idol looks (and what might be the best head of hair Hollywood’s ever seen) and Robert Redford would still earn his reputation as the quintessential all-American boy. Not some spit-polish-clean kid, but a true American. His finest work as an actor and director—movies like Three Days of the Condor, All the President’s Men, Quiz Show—has represented an America in turmoil and reflected, in some way, the importance of truth and the disastrous consequences that arise when the truth is suppressed. “Bob is all about freedom,” says Lois Smith, Redford’s publicist and friend for more than thirty-five years. “It’s part of who he is, with the Sundance Institute and his involvement with environmental causes.” Redford’s all-American sensibility also translated to his fashion sense—the tweed blazers, jeans, and mirrored aviators. Says Smith, “We used to joke that Ralph Lauren made an entire career of copying his dress.”

Marcello Mastroianni
    No matter how many times he played the antihero, Marcello Mastroianni never could shake free of the “Latin lover” tag; the guy was helplessly cool. As Marcello in La Dolce Vita, he’s needy, indecisive and sexually confused, but it’s Mastroianni—the man, not the character—who wears the hell out of that slim black suit and makes you forget the surgeon general’s warning every time he takes a narrow-eyed drag from his cigarette. Offscreen Mastroianni’s taste in clothes was classic and conservative. Every year he ordered a dozen suits—in English materials only—from his Roman tailor, Vittorio Zenobi, and his first stop in Paris was always John Lobb, the venerable English bootery. “The day when everyone is very, very elegant,” Mastroianni told GQ in 1964, “I will start to go around dressed like a tramp.” He lived thirty-two more years—never happened.

I'm surprised Frank Sinatra didn't make the cut!
    When you came in the air went out. And every shadow filled up with doubt. I don't know who you think you are, But before the night is through,I wanna do bad things with you.

Gold Member

HWBL, just curious, does the WB in your name stand for your favorite guy? (Please feel free not to answer that if am too prying. Lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet and sexy View Post
    HWBL, just curious, does the WB in your name stand for your favorite guy? (Please feel free not to answer that if am too prying. Lol.)
    Hehe, keep guessing!

***** celeb

There are a lot of nice photographs included on the list on the website.

Thread Information