Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Lopez - LATINA - October 2006

Default Jennifer Lopez - LATINA - October 2006

Silver Member

Those shoots are from 2005 arent they?

love her, or hate her, cant deny that she's stunning. personally i love her.

Elite Member

I don't think she's 'stunning' at all. I think there are a lot of prettier girls out there with more talent, prettier faces and bigger butts too! You'd think she was the only hispanic girl out there. It's amazing how the American media picked up on her and just made her into this huge star. In other countries, she's known, but not this huge mega-star the way she is here. She can't even speak Spanish! It's all choppy and really bad...amazing, absolutely amazing.

Bronze Member

I think she is really pretty. She is a lot better looking than 90% of people out there IMO. I think her Spanish is OK as well. People like to attack her but nobody says anything about Eva Mendes or Longoria, who speak worse Spanish than her.

Elite Member

Her spanish is NOT okay!! Unless she learned it from Marc Anthony because he speaks perfect Spanish, not even an accent. Every time I see Jennifer on Spanish media television, she struggles. Even she has said her Spanish is weak because her parents are English-speaking Nuyoricans...have you heard her parents speak? Her mother and father have no accent whatsoever, they speak perfect English. They must've come from Puerto Rico to the U.S. when they were children because I understand they met and married here. They speak to each other in English and that's what they spoke in the home.

Eva Longoria speaks good Spanish. Now she grew up in a Spanish speaking home. She grew up next to the Texan/Mexican border. I've seen her in a lot of local programs and when they interview her it's in Spanish.

Eva Mendes, I don't know...she's Cuban and I've never heard her speak Spanish, don't even know if she knows it.

All I'm saying is that it's hilarious to market yourself a certain way and you don't even know the language. Like if I'd say I'm 'I'm a proud French woman' and I don't know how to speak the language.

Pic on the fourth page is weird, her head looks photoshopped on or something.

Bronze Member

She doesn't really present herself that way though. OK, she is making a Spanish album now, but her career so far has been in English and everyone I know thinks of her as an American celebrity, not a Latin one. I compare her to Eva Mendes for that reason. Eva speaks Spanish but not any better than Jennifer does. I personally don't think Eva Longoria's Spanish is good at all and this view is shared by most people at another board I post at. Her accent is really weird to me. JLo's Spanish isn't perfect but not really any worse than any other US born Puerto Rican I've heard. When I was in New York I used to listen to a radio show on La Mega and there was a girl on the morning show called Carolina who spoke AWFUL Spanish. She made so many mistakes and had the most American accent ever. And this was on a Spanish radio station!

Elite Member

My cousins are Puerto Rican....three of my aunts married Puerto Rican men. So the cousins I have from those aunts speak perfect Spanish. Their accents are different than Spaniards or Mexicans but we're not speaking of accents. We're speaking about knowledge of the language. Jennifer does not speak Spanish well, regardless what accent she uses. Eva Longoria speaks good Spanish. She was on Jay Leno back in April and Jay asked her how you say 'shell' in Spanish...as in egg shell. I thought to myself, oh she won't know that...she surprised me because she did. CASCARONES. Not too many people would knot that offhand. So she knows more than the basics. Eva's even trying to learn French to communicate with her boyfriend's family. So she seems to have an interest in languages. Some people just do. On the other hand, J.Lo's always screwing up her verbs in her sentences...past, present, future. It drives me nuts.

J.Lo may be successful at acting and music but no one is going to tell me she's good at speaking Spanish because that's an outright lie. Every time she's on the 'Cristina' show, Cristina's always correcting her and teasing her on her 'Spanglish'. And I disagree, I think J.Lo's always tried to market herself as soooo hispanic, sooooo latin, sooooo ethnic. She wouldn't survive one day living outside the U.S. for a year. Yes, she's of Puerto Rican heritage but she's more American than apple pie. She's not this latin bombshell the American media tries to portray her as...at least not to me.

Will never be a fan of hers, ever. But even I have to admit that she's not an unattractive woman. She can look very pretty some days, and others, notsomuch. She's somewhere in between in these pix imho...

Bronze Member

I saw her on Jay Leno too. She was talking about some Mexican thing called cascarones, and Jay asked her what it would be in English, and she hesitated before saying it meant shell. So it wasn't like he just threw her a random word - she was talking about a food or something, and she said that in English cascaron would be like an egg shell. He then told her the cue card guy spoke Spanish, and he started yelling at her in Spanish (it was obviously scripted) and Jay asked her what he had said and she had no idea and joked that he must be Puerto Rican. I'd be interested to see more of Eva speaking Spanish because I'm not too impressed with what I've seen so far which admittedly hasn't been much.

I'm not denying that Jennifer's Spanish isn't great but I still don't think it's much worse than other American born Latinas who speak mostly English. It's not as if she doesn't speak any - she understands perfectly and she can hold a conversation. She just doesn't speak it too accurately. I mean there are many Latinas who don't speak or understand ANY Spanish. Christina Aguilera jumped on the Latin bandwagon, made a Spanish CD, and she can barely say Hola. Jennifer's Spanish is far from perfect, but you can tell she did grow up hearing it, you know? I think so anyway.

Elite Member

Oh my God, that was not scripted. She knew what the guy said when he started yelling at her, but it was all cursing, Eva wasn't going to repeat it. And the guy's accent was carribean...he was from Cuba or Puerto Rico. Eva wasn't going to translate all that crap because it was supposed to be funny. How do you translate: "*#&$Q*%Q*$^(Q#*$&Q)#!!!" in English? It was a gag.

Christina Aguilera was on the show Otro Rollo. That is a pretty well viewed television show all over Spanish speaking latin America. She did a good job considering she's HALF hispanic and her Ecuadorian father wasn't in the home. I gave her credit for going on it. Jennifer's never been on that show. She's never gone on any of those latin Spanish shows except Cristina (because she's scared!)...the only time I hear her speak Spanish is when a hispanic reporter shoves a microphone in her face and then she stutters trying to find the words to express herself.

Keep in mind, that Christina Aguilera was also raised by a white mother and for not growing up in a home that spoke the language, her pronounciation and accent is pretty good. Jennifer Lopez is supposedly full Puerto Rican and she's constantly professing how latin she is...and yet she speaks it badly. She married that Cuban dude who spoke no English and now Marc Anthony who speaks it really good. Why the hell doesn't she learn it? Because she's too busy with her other projects? It just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, end of story for me. JENNIFER LOPEZ DOES NOT SPEAK SPANISH. She 'tries' but after 10 years of being in the business she still struggles. She's 37 yrs-old and she is not fluent. I grew up in a Spanish speaking home, I spent my summers in Mexico with my cousins and I also spent time in Spain with my mother's side of the family. I know what being fluent in Spanish is...she is not it. She's a Nuyorican girl who knows 'some' words and she can put a sentence together here and there but she can not hold an impromptu Spanish conversation for long. I bet you she can't even write in Spanish or read a Spanish book. She would die if she had to actually live in a Spanish-speaking country for a year. She couldn't hack it and I'm not exaggerating that either. But maybe then she'd learn the language.

My gripe is I hate it that she's marketed as being so latin and she's always saying how Puerto Rican she is but then why can't she learn the common language that unites us? It's comes across to me as rather fake. Instead of dancing onstage to salsa music to 'prove' her latin-ness and wearing shirts that have the Puerto Rican flag on it, why doesn't she take a year off and take a crash course of the Spanish language and really try and connect with her people? I think that would be nice.
    Last edited by PrettyGirl; September 17th, 2006 at 06:50 PM.

Bronze Member

Oh my God, that was not scripted. She knew what the guy said when he started yelling at her, but it was all cursing, Eva wasn't going to repeat it. And the guy's accent was carribean.
    You think it wasn't scripted? It clearly was all part of the show. As if anyone would just start ranting at her like that, it was planned by Jay. Yes his accent was Caribbean, I know that.

When was Christina on Otro Rollo? The only time I've seen her speaking any Spanish was when she had to do one of those 'Hi, I'm Christina Aguilera, and you're watching Show X' things. She messed up so badly and had to do it about 10 times and it was literally 2 sentences. I can't imagine her ever being able to do an interview.

Your opinion is your opinion but I think you're being too harsh on Jennifer. She DID learn Spanish when she married the waiter dude. I have seen her on Cristina about 5 times and she always manages to do the interview and express herself. Of course Cristina makes fun of her Spanglish and Jennifer herself knows her Spanish isn't great but she does speak it. Good for you that you have had the opportunity to spend so much time in Mexico but a lot of people don't have that. It's hard enough for the average person to find time to learn languages, and celebrities spend so much time working and travelling. I speak 4 languages I started learning when I was young and I'm so glad I started early because it's a million times harder for adults to find the time and motivation to do it.

And Jennifer would NOT die if she had to live in a Spanish speaking country. Do you know how many people do that and have NO idea of Spanish when they go? There were tons of foreign kids at my university in Spain who spoke awful Spanish, I'm talking ten times worse than Jennifer Lopez and some of them were Latino. No idea of how to conjugate verbs, no grasp of tenses and worst of all hideous accents. Yet they all got by perfectly well everywhere they went, they had Spanish friends, they saw movies, went grocery shopping, wrote papers in Spanish. I think you have high standards and expectations. It's great that you speak perfect Spanish but you can still get along fine if you speak it less than perfectly.

Some people just have a hard time with language. I personally manage without problems but some people have a really hard time with just the basics. Jennifer's English isn't even that great, she makes a lot of mistakes, and it's supposedly her first language. So maybe learning perfect Spanish just isn't possible for her.

Elite Member

Oh my god, having 'high standards and expectations' is when you expect a person who says they're so latin and markets themself as being such to learn Spanish? Since when is that having high standards? That's like some Chinese-born singer in China who has relatives who came from the U.S. who keeps saying how 'American' he is but yet he doesn't know how to speak English. See how funny that seems? Same concept. If Jennifer has latin blood, fine, but relate to the people, learn the language, actually live the culture, don't just say it. And why doesn't she have homes in other countries? Notice how she doesn't even have a home in Puerto Rico? She says how proud she is of Puerto Rico and yet she doesn't even have real estate there. She has no real desire to live amongst the latinos, but it sounds good to sell her records. She lives in L.A. and Miami. I guess she can communicate with the people there. And she keeps going on the Cristina show because Cristina is her friend....Cristina is Cuban and loved the fact that Jennifer married that Cuban waiter guy. But why doesn't she do other Spanish media shows? Because she can't (the language barrier) and I don't think it interests her. Do you think the Spanish public doesn't pick up on that?

Now, about Christina Aguilera, she was on the show Otro Rollo in July 2004...it was hilarious! Between her Spanish and the host's English, they did pretty good. He had to help her once in a while but she did well considering she didn't grow up in home that spoke Spanish. Plus, at the time she was dating that Puerto Rican dancer and she was all into being fluent in Spanish because of him, her career and her album...she said was very eager to speak it and learn it correctly because she loved singing in Spanish as well as English and she wanted to communicate with fans from around the world. Christina seemed very bright, very driven. Whatever Christina wants to do, she does it and she must've taken a crash course in Spanish because it took a lot of balls to go on that show. It's a looooong show too, how many hours? Two? Jennifer Lopez would never go on that show and that's a big, big show in latino America. A big venue that any artist that really wanted to be 'international' wouldn't miss.

Here are some pictures:

Last edited by PrettyGirl; September 17th, 2006 at 07:33 PM.

Bronze Member

I see your point completely. I just don't agree that Jennifer's Spanish is awful, I think it's perfectly acceptable. If I were to read your posts without ever having heard her Spanish, I'd think she could barely put together a sentence. Did you see her on Primer Impacto last week? She did pretty well. Yeah she made a few mistakes, but was perfectly clear and coherent. She has also improved a LOT during the last 5 or 6 years which shows she is trying and putting in some effort. If she really didn't care, she wouldn't have improved at all. As for the real estate thing, she has her reasons. She has a lot of business in the US, maybe it just isn't practical for her to have a home elsewhere. She has a place in Miami and she is hardly ever there, presumably because she's too busy.

I'd love to have seen Christina on Otro Rollo but I didn't so I can't comment on her interview. If she did well in Spanish, good for her. Maybe she is good with languages, maybe she's brighter than Jennifer. I don't know. Christina always seems like a fearless person who doesn't care what people think. I think Jennifer is a lot more self conscious. I think she is embarrassed that her Spanish isn't perfect and I agree that she is too scared to go on those Latin shows. She is afraid of being ripped apart. You can tell that she doesn't have much confidence with the language and so on. I get the impression she feels like she is screwed either way - if she doesn't do the Spanish shows, people complain, and if she does, they say her Spanish sucks. I think people expect more of her that way than they do from Christina - I wasn't aware Christina even spoke enough Spanish to do an interview, so I'd be impressed with anything she said.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information