Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plus-size models in V Magazine’s “Size Issue”

Default Plus-size models in V Magazine’s “Size Issue”

fgg

on the whole, they look beautiful but i would not be happy being that size.

yes, now those are some plus-size women.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

They look beautiful and sexy. I'm all for this kind of thing. We're all so jaded that we see these women as unusual models, yet they are probably the size of your average American woman.

In Benedict Cumberbatch's Velvet Tuxedo, USA

Beautiful ladies!
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

Beautiful pics.

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

too bad the clothing choices suck, it would have been a much better shoot if they'd used better fashion, and clothes that actually flatter the girls' bodies. maybe they were trying to make a point by putting plus-size girls in clothes that even sticks don't necessarily look good in, but some of those choices are really fug, like that bathing suit in the pic with the girl kneeling (seriously, only bond girls look good in that kind of suit) and the stupid jeans vest.
    that said, i like these 3 pics and i think they choose nice clothes. except for the girl on the right in the jeans picture. she should not have been put into skinny jeans.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It looks like the heads do not belong to the same bodies, like they were photoshopped on. Not that large women can't be gorgeous - it just looks like a disconnect. I like that they chose actual larger women and not just size 8's. The bathing suits they chose are really hideous. They could have chosen actual flattering suits, at least!

I do agree with the poster that said they wouldn't be happy this large.
    here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

yeah, they're too fat for my taste, sorry.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Gold Member

Sorry, not the kind fo pics I enjoy looking at.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

2 things come to mind when I see this:

Why do these magazine articles/photoshoots almost always have the plus sized models appear naked? I'm not suggesting that large people should never be nude, not at all. But they always seem to have a naked orgy of models, usually hugging each other. Could it be that they want to go over the top in showing how accepting they really are of larger bodies or is it to counter the stereotype that large women can't be sexy? Who knows.

Also, most plus sized models cary their weight in their bodies rather than their faces. Most average women do not. I've known several ladies who you would never know were heavy just by looking at their faces. Their bodies don't seem to match, but I think that helps these women who want to be models. They also tend to look more solidly built than most overweight women are.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    They also tend to look more solidly built than most overweight women are.
    Is that because they're young? Most models are under 25, are the plus-size ones young as well? If so, the firmness may be just a function of age. Most people's skin loosens up as they get older and they don't look so firm. Also, we can't assume that these women haven't been airbrushed for smoothness.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    Is that because they're young? Most models are under 25, are the plus-size ones young as well? If so, the firmness may be just a function of age. Most people's skin loosens up as they get older and they don't look so firm. Also, we can't assume that these women haven't been airbrushed for smoothness.
    Good points, and likely true.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's an unretouched picture of Crystal Renn, the plus-sized super-model of the moment, that I posted in the other "V" thread. She's only 23, I think. There's some bad lighting, but she clearly has a lot of cellulite that's usually airbrushed out. I think putting out these pictures of plus-sized women with their natural "bumpiness" smoothed out is just as bad for women's egos as the airbrushed skinny models. I'm sure there are some plus-sized women with no cellulite, but it's rare.

plus-sized models are still models - they look better than the average woman and they also have their defects airbrushed out by the magazine to present an even more idealised vision.
    why is anyone surprised?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information