Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Would You Stay At? Thread

i think i'll pass on this one.

Experts say tourist overuse threatens Peru's Machu Picchu

An influx of tourists to Peru's famed Inca citadel of Machu Picchu may prompt UNESCO to add the jungle-shrouded ruins to its list of endangered World Heritage sites.

Yearly visits to Machu Picchu, Peru's top tourist destination, have more than doubled since 1998 to 800,000 people, and conservationists advising UNESCO's World Heritage Committee warn that landslides, fires and creeping development threaten the site.

UNESCO officials will discuss those findings this week at a World Heritage Committee meeting in Quebec City that was called to determine which of the world's cultural treasures should be added to its list — and which of those already included there are now threatened.

UNESCO committee spokesman Roni Amelan declined to confirm that Machu Picchu, which was named a World Heritage Site in 1983, would be classified as endangered, but said "it's a possibility."

Unregulated growth, including a boom in hotel and restaurant construction in the nearby mountain town of Aguas Calientes, is putting pressure on erosion-prone riverbanks and could undermine the site, the report said.

The village lacks adequate sanitation and Peru's government has done little to address landslide concerns on the winding, mud thoroughfare that leads to the citadel, according to the report. Officials also have no way to detect fires in the stone citadel or its heavily wooded environs, the report said.

Residents in the nearby city of Cuzco, an ancient Inca capital, burned tires and blocked roads to protest state plans to extend private development near the site earlier this year.

But park officials note that while there may be room for improvement in Aguas Calientes, Machu Picchu itself is intact. Archaeologist Piedad Champi, who oversees conservation efforts, noted that UNESCO praised the monuments' preservation just last year.

Still, uncontrolled tourism could still degrade the ruins, said Luis Lumbreras, an independent, Lima-based archaeologist who has studied Machu Picchu for more than 40 years.

"Machu Picchu was never made for lots of people," he said, noting the original citadel was designed for sandals and bare feet. "If we put tourists with boots that are jumping, running, climbing the walls, etcetera, that's the danger."

A spokeswoman for the state-run National Culture Institute, which manages the park, declined to respond to UNESCO's advisory report. Peru's government has promoted the site as one of Latin America's top tourist destinations.

Experts say tourist overuse threatens Peru's Machu Picchu - Yahoo! News

Yes, PLEASE!!!!!! What gorgeous views!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    Is there anyone who would say no???

Yeah. Me.

I found Machu Picchu fascinating when I was a kid. I would have gone in a heartbeat if I'd had the opportunity. But ... one of the attractions of going to a site like this, apart from the history, is that it's remote, with nothing but wilderness around it. At one time, it was a challenge to see this amazing place, and when you did, there was a sense of accomplishment. Building a fucking hotel there ruins it completely for me. Now it's just another tourist trap.

Before you know it, some genius will be putting an elevator on the side of Mount Everest and ruin that too.
    Of course you're right. It would be perfect if it had remained untainted by capitalism, if you will.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Hit By Ban Bus!

what is that thing on the ceiling?

Hit By Ban Bus!

looks nice

Yes, it looks very nice.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Wow, yes. I'd love to go.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Hit By Ban Bus!

^ same here

Hit By Ban Bus!

i've heard scotland is a great place to visit

Hit By Ban Bus!

^ lol, might be fun to visit

Hit By Ban Bus!

it looks cool

I bet it stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I bet it stinks.
    Sweetie! You are on a tear today!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I am not in the best of mood today and I am ready for the weekend.

it looks too busy. they seem to have shoved anything into any corner or empty space.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Thread Information