Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Worst country

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Austria - Beautiful scenary and great for skiing but full of fucking Austrians. Hitler's homeland. Nuff said.
    I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I agree. I can't stand the majority of Australians. How the hell did they get the reputation for being nice? They're just not. And far too straight! I go to the mall and because I look like I'm still a teenager, other teens will give me the "judgemental" look because I don't dress like a fuck-wit (eg: teen-ware). In other countries, it's just the whole "mind your own business" deal. Not here.
    And the gays here are mighty creepy.

End of rant.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    Meh, when me and the bf went to Paris we encountered the nicest people we've ever met. Same with New York, someone actually took time out from their commute to work to show us how to get to the right place
    i agree. i don't know why those cities have bad reputations, i've always had great experiences in paris and new york and people were always friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator View Post
    The MIddle east, most of it. Sand, oil, sand, oil and buggery of little boys.

gaza and the rest of the occupied palestinian territories. i'd say they're pretty much the asshole of the world along with darfur.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Well, I wont say the worst country, but bad experince...
    I just got back from Thailand yesterday. Although there are nice islands, but the people was the problem to me. I'm a black american and I guess they never seen that before. My boyfriend is white. But the Thai girls (which are dark) were with white men. I was stared at, pointed at, laughed at. I don't understand why. Some people there were dark like me, due to the high sun and heat. Also, tons of flies, holes in the ground for a toilet. No toilet paper, unless you bring your own, or buy it at some places. Some public toilets don't flush. You take water and pour it into the hole and it eventally drains. The smell of sewage in the air. Prostitues everywhere. You're advised not to drink the tap water which I don't, but they said not to even gargle with it when you brush your teeth.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by Lil View Post
    Wales, or more specifically, the Welsh. Bunch of ignorant twats who speak English until an English person walks in, then they switch to Welsh. They bleat about tourism and forget it is the only thing apart from sheep that makes them any money. The Scots have just as much reason to hate the English but they can at least manage to be civil.
    Funny, that's how the Catalans are in Barcelona. They can speak perfect Spanish but will switch to Catalan just out of spite/misguided sense of patriotism. All of their public signs are in Catalan, which makes no sense because ALL THE TOURISTS LOOK FOR SPANISH. No one knows Catalan outside of Catalunya, a fact which they conveniently overlook; they staunchly refuse to acknowledge that this is shooting themselves in the foot when the tourism industry is the only thing that sets them apart from a 2nd-3rd world country. It's quite maddening.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    Well, I wont say the worst country, but bad experince...
    I just got back from Thailand yesterday. Although there are nice islands, but the people was the problem to me. I'm a black american and I guess they never seen that before. My boyfriend is white. But the Thai girls (which are dark) were with white men. I was stared at, pointed at, laughed at. I don't understand why. Some people there were dark like me, due to the high sun and heat. Also, tons of flies, holes in the ground for a toilet. No toilet paper, unless you bring your own, or buy it at some places. Some public toilets don't flush. You take water and pour it into the hole and it eventally drains. The smell of sewage in the air. Prostitues everywhere. You're advised not to drink the tap water which I don't, but they said not to even gargle with it when you brush your teeth.
    well, Thailand is on my shit list now - YUCK! Those toilets are like the ones that I had to use in certain parts of Paris. ICK!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Hehehe. How about Pakistan? Shithole extraordinaire. Nearly any African country -- Liberia comes to mind. Korea -- never met anyone who wanted to go back there. Chechnya?

Honduras -- now there's a place we could send Dubya. Brutal dictatorship, mudslides, drugrunners and bananas.
    Liberia was Heaven on earth 20 years ago when I lived there before the coup took place. I would move back there in a split second given a choice to live how I used to.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

France is beautiful but most of the French were rude. I just couldn't understand these people at all and they were unbelievably cheap. I know it's not all French because I met some nice people too but in general I wouldn't want to live in France.

Same with Austria. Beautiful place but the people... yikes! Cold, racist, nasty. I'm a little dark and was mistaken for Turk a lot and people were very rude and racist to me. But the moment they would see that I had a diplomatic passport they would be disgustingly deferrent to me... I don't know what to think of these people, really. Again, not all of them but definitely the majority. How can they live in such a beautiful place and be so miserable?

Umm Allie-A*O was talking about AusTRIA. You were talking about AusTRAIlia...major difference. All they have in common is AUS. Hitler never set foot on your sandy beaches,mercifully! Or yodelled down your mountains! But I'm glad you got that out of your system!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I've been to Thailand 3 times, from north to south, and unless it's changed dramatically, I'm surprised to hear that is all you experienced. It is a Third World country, and there IS poverty, just as there is elsewhere, but I met lots of ordinary Thai people who weren't prostitutes and whose plumbing was perfectly adequate.

That said, the further you get from any city or town, the more primitive things get. I don't have a problem with hole-in-the-ground toilets -- some of them are a lot cleaner than the western kind. But there are dirty people everywhere and as with any country that caters to tourists, if there weren't a market for what they were selling, it wouldn't be there. I found the most objectionable people to be the male tourists, most from North america and Europe, who buy a young girl while they are there. That bothers me a whole lot more than a hole in the ground.

As for the water, that's true of ANY Third World country, including Mexico.

When you travel to a different country, you cannot expect everything to be the same as what you left behind. And some places/resorts are a lot worse than others. I'd really like to know where you went out of curiousity since I know Thailand quite well.

The United States of America.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I agree. I can't stand the majority of Australians. How the hell did they get the reputation for being nice? They're just not. And far too straight! I go to the mall and because I look like I'm still a teenager, other teens will give me the "judgemental" look because I don't dress like a fuck-wit (eg: teen-ware). In other countries, it's just the whole "mind your own business" deal. Not here.
    And the gays here are mighty creepy.

End of rant.
    Depends who you mix with. The peak hour commute in Sydney has Melbourne beat. You don't get judged for what you are wearing. But people will walk 3 in a row and smash into little old you.

I mix with the nice Australians that are my friends and family.

I have found the majority of Australians are nice when you are not meeting them on a peak hour train or in the big cities during their lunch break.
    The most friendly Australians I met are in Perth, Adelaide and Northern Queensland.

I can't comment further as the only country I have visited is New Zealand and I found them very friendly. It helped that I joined them in their hate of the Australian cricket and rugby teams.

A big nice friendly hug from one Aussie to another. I am sure when I am out of Melbourne in your part of Australia you will be friendly to me.

Nearly all the Americans I have come across are sweet, friendly and curious. I have found them a lot nicer than Canadians. Obviously nearly all the nice Canadians hang out on this forums.

I don't think there's a "worst country" in the whole world.
    You may have not met some nice people, but that doesn't mark the whole community. Bad countries are places where you have a bad experience, not where you don't find people friendly enough or where it's too hot or too cold or too expensive, IMO. These things change.

There are countries I may not like maybe, but since I have never been there my opinion would be freely unflattering and maybe even a little bit racist, hence stupid .

I've travelled a lot to France and I'll travel again this year like I've been doing in the past 5 years, and I can tell you they really want everybody to speak their language as they tend to refuse to speak others. But that is:
    1) smart.
    2) comprehensible. French people are very kind if you ask them to help you to speak their language. The 1st impression you get is usually wrong. They are very nice and they really want you to talk to you: just ask.
    Last edited by waikiki; May 2nd, 2007 at 11:32 AM.
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

Waikiki,you are so right about the French.
    I was feeling incecure using my rusty French,so i was using only English and apart from the tourist spots i had no succes.
    When i talked about it with my french relatives they told me to adress French in french,even a small bonjour will be the key to their attitude.
    I did it,it was a huge difference,and i feel so comfortable now,i love france and i visit every year
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I've noticed the language thing with most countries in Europe. If I refer to my phrase book and make the effort, I am usually rewarded with a big smile, lots of help, and a little bit of english so that we can work together.

Effie2 and Missbazilb you're both right!
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information